Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit a plateau, help? page 2

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Coconut oil!!!

And do NOT add cheese or dairy of any kind.

Heed my words!!

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Sterling is offline Member

I've got some great info on my blog about your dilemma. You may find it helpful

Now to your quesiton(s): you don't need to carb cycle. The only time that you would want to consider carb cycling is at low body fat levels and when you're trying to 'lean out'.

My suggestion would be to make your diet at least 60% protein; make up the rest with 25% fat and 15% carbs. You want protein to be your base. One reason is satiety; another is its slightly higher thermic effect relative to other macronutrients.

Just a clarification: You are 349 lbs, correct? Assuming that:

Losing weight is about a calorie deficit, but you are in a major deficit. You can lose plenty of weight @ 3000 calories/day. Try eating higher calories on lifting days and lower calories on non-lifting days. I'd also employ intermittent fasting. Consider your calories on a per week basis and keep it under 21,000/week and see how that works.

Let me know if I can help further.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Most of the above advice is sound. I disagree with Sterling very much. Your diet should be at least 60% fats, preferably 70% and the rest proteing.

But work that backwards. Find any online LBM calculator. You need a tape measure. Yours will probably be in the 180-190 pounds of LBM range. Multiply by .5 grams of protein and you have a daily protein need of 90-100 per day, or 360-400 calories (overlooking protein's thermic effect.) That's all you need for the level of exercise you are doing. Anything more and you will be making unnecessary insulin.

Add 200 more calories for 50 of carbs (as has been said, ditch the fruit and chocolate)and you are at 600 calories. Almost all animal protein, of course, has some fat. So by default that 600 will be higher. Anyway, use fats for the difference in daily caloric needs; butter, olive oil, lard, bacon fat, whatever.

Track your macronutrient intake on Fitday. You might be surprised how you aren't eating what you think.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member

10 days isn't a plateau. I've already hit these "plateaus" tens of times, didn't change anything and eventually lost weight. There is absolutely nothing to worry about here. When you hit a month-long plateau you may start getting worried.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I agree and say lower the carbs to under 50 and up the fat/protien.

Maybe try adding some sprints in there was well.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Sprints at 349 pounds arthur? Not really.....

Now, I (italicized, underlined, bold) am on a plateau! Since the end of August, just moving around in the 230's. I've tried every conceivable variation of macronutrient, was doing Fitday accurately and religiously into Decmeber, I guess, was getting walking and modest bike exercise, tried carb cycling, you name it.

Yeah, I thought by now I'd be at 200 pounds. I'm discouraged, but not going back to the old ways of eating, that's for sure.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member

Since August? You are on a plateau. Have you checked if you lost inches? Did you cut out dairy? Did you cut out artificial sweeteners?

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

OTB: what's your height and BF percentage?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12