Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good primal running shoe? page

primal pete is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Sorry if this has been asked before... I mostly lurk and post in the nutrition forums. I'm looking to get back into running. It's something I've really enjoyed in the past and I need to spend more time outside.

All this talk about the detriment of modern running shoes has got me thinking...what are primal enthusiasts running in these days? Vibrams are a bit out of the budget for now...what are cheaper alternatives?

Pete

Prowler Guest

Bare feet! lol, doesn't get much cheaper than that.

mstrudle is offline Member

The barefoot style shoes are all expensive... FeelMax makes a cheaper than Vibram shoe but it is not very durable. Wear your neolithic foot coverings until you can afford the Vibrams.

NicoB is offline Senior Member

I love my VFF, and my Vivo Barefoot, but you can't beat going barefoot for price...

And you can't beat bare feet for comfort, durability, and ease of washing either.

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

Geoff is offline Member

I love my VFFs but, as you note, they can be expensive. It gets decidedly mixed reviews here, but, pesonally, I find the Nike Free to be a very good shoe - though it too is expensive. If you want a lower cost option, you can consider track or cross country racing flats. Definitely not as flexible or responsive as VFF or even the Free, but if you shop for clearance deals you can get them for about half the cost. Right now roadrunnersports.com is offering a couple of pairs of Brooks X-C flats and a Saucony pair as well for under $40 a pair. Eastbay.com is currently offering a sale on a bunch of flats for prices as low as $10 per pair.

robmedina is offline Member

I ran a marathon in 2008- I used the saucony triumph 5's. I have tried so many different shoes and ended up getting a really bad IT problem, took me out of running for a year. I am a mid foot striker (I land on the ball of my foot) so I always looked for a shoe that had a smaller heal, but the choices are very few. I just got back into running and bought some new sneakers- I just went with a neutral shoe (I don't like the correcting shoes, I think they mess your natural alignment up- which causes injury) I paid $40 , they are addidas. I bought a road shoe and a trail shoe. I really like the trail ones best though. Good luck!

ChrisJ is offline Member

I want VFFs, but I cannot understate how great it feels to run barefoot. Just keep doing it for a while until your feet toughen up, and you'll love it.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

primal pete is offline Senior Member

I might still be a bit too self conscious to run barefoot. maybe I'll drive to the beach and do it...could use the chance to sprint too. Good idea on the racing flats Geoff...as it so happens I have an old pair from back in the day doing cross country.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

You can toughen your feet by wearing Simple Flip Flops too. Cant run in flip flops thou... but a good preparation for barefoot running.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

For the people commenting here about running barefoot...what types of surfaces are you running on?

...Sounds painful :\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast