Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Eating enough after weightlifting page 7

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Because whey tastes horrible, and I can't make it in yummy smoothies because I can't tolerate sugar and most particularly fructose (Thanks, the research & paleo/primal, I wish I did not know that!). Even when I did shakes, I preferred egg white to whey, since it makes it more like sorbet, adds plenty of protein and doesn't have the whole eww-factor. Plus, egg-whites can be enjoyed in a variety of hot applications, from rolls with chives to scrambled and hashes with sweet and plain potatoes & added to soups on low carb days instead of potatoes or tofu in asian applications, etc. Living in a super-cold climate, I am not big on cold drinks! But big on everything hot!

Well, maybe there IS one benefit to being a woman, and that it is no biggie to get your 1 to 1.5 g of protein per 1 lb of LBM. My LBM is about 100 lbs, and I can get 100-200 g protein on my 1200-1700 calories a day easy-peasy with all real, tasty foods. No need for god-awful whey at all.
    Well, I dunno what to tell you. If it tastes bad then so what?

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dailytribal View Post
    Well, I dunno what to tell you. If it tastes bad then so what?
    I'm with Leida on this. If it tastes bad and is an artificial powdered food, I don't want to eat it. I'm fine with eating lots of meat anyway. So far today I've eaten half a leg of lamb, an egg and a quail, and I bought two juicy beefsteaks, four pork sausages, a slice of beef liver and 8lb of beef suet, plus a large sweet potato and a bag of dirty new potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Long distance running is NOT intense. You can either have intensity or duration. Intensity can only be carried out for a very short time (seconds). Duration can be carried out for a much longer time (minutes, hours). You are more hungry after weight training because it is much more demanding on a much deeper cellular level. You are recruiting a much greater % of muscle fibers in one single lift than you would running an hour.
    Yes, I've come to learn that. It explains why I managed to do so much pedalling about all these years without getting any fitter or turning body fat into muscle. I used to think that running a long time was intense, mostly because I found it agonising and unpleasant. Now I understand that just means I shouldn't be doing it. (Not that I did much of it anyway.)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Leida on this. If it tastes bad and is an artificial powdered food, I don't want to eat it. I'm fine with eating lots of meat anyway. So far today I've eaten half a leg of lamb, an egg and a quail, and I bought two juicy beefsteaks, four pork sausages, a slice of beef liver and 8lb of beef suet, plus a large sweet potato and a bag of dirty new potatoes.
    High five! The Whole30 principle of 'nobody can make you eat what you don't want to eat' applies here, imo. When tofu was all the rage I refused to eat it because it tasted like a dirty dish sponge (in fact a dish sponge might have a better flavor), and guess what... I am better for it. I load half a grass-fed cow, a whole pasteurized hog and hoping for a lamb next year in our freezer, and I buy fish and poultry once in a while to go along with it. Plus eggs, occasional can of fish, raw cheese and home-made quark... proteins covered with tasty spread, in both lean and fatty department. Why waste precious calories on whey when you can have tasty proteins? It's like eating rice cakes instead of a potato.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by gotsometoloose View Post
    I use to get this alot!!

In hindsight i realise i was overtraining and overeating and not resting enough.

Sounds like to me your on a sugar roundabout and you need to get off it.
    I've been thinking about this. Been tired all week since the big evening bike now three days ago, and continuously hungry.

I think I overtrained. Three days wasn't long enough to recover from the weight lifting, and that's how I hurt my knee cycling. Now I am just resting.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Long distance running is NOT intense. You can either have intensity or duration. Intensity can only be carried out for a very short time (seconds). Duration can be carried out for a much longer time (minutes, hours). You are more hungry after weight training because it is much more demanding on a much deeper cellular level. You are recruiting a much greater % of muscle fibers in one single lift than you would running an hour.
    I think I underestimated by a big margin just how intensive weightlifting was for me. So since Tuesday I have been concentrating on just resting and eating lots: I am still very hungry. No carb limitation, just lots of meat, fat and "clean" carbs, including chips cooked in tallow.

I think the sugar craving was due to underrating, even though I was eating lots by my own standards (and I'm a big guy, I do eat lots). Once I am more into it I'll probably be able to lift more often, but until then I plan to make sure I am fully rested and fully fed before the next session. These last few days I have really enjoyed just sitting about, which is very much not my normal state. It's been nearly a week, and my arms are still tired from Saturday.

So probably the earliest I'll go back to the gym is on Sunday, in two days, if I am not still hungry all the time, and I don't still feel tired.

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Whey comes from dairy

Janet92 is offline Junior Member
    I think the main thing to focus on is fasting before and a big protein meal afterwards.

I think you should take advice from a forum that actually has people who weight lift

Quote Originally Posted by Dailytribal View Post
    I think you should take advice from a forum that actually has people who weight lift
    I am going back to the gym tomorrow evening. Light breakfast and no lunch, although I am having a good feed up now and have a chicken defrosting for tomorrow afterwards.

This time I will make sure to do some press ups and will give the bench press a try. No promises. I finally got over the hunger and tiredness yesterday, and after resting all today I feel basically normal again. Today is a full seven days since the last gym visit.

After I am done I am going to make sure to eat much more fat and protein in the following days. I think I really slipped up on that this time, leading to a week of sugar cravings, a most unusual state for me.

Aussie_Andy is offline Junior Member
    Weight lifting is not that complicated and too many people simply waste their time in the gym.

Lift, eat, rest.
    Lift a little more, eat , rest
    Repeat.

If you want to grow, you need to induce change by overloading your body every workout.
    Either by lifting a little more weight or an extra rep. Every workout, the total "work done" needs to be more than the last to ensure continual growth.

And you dont need anywhere near as much food as many people make out.
    Yes you need a calorie surplus, but it does need to be massive. Unless you are a genetic freak or juicing, even 500 calories would be too much for most people. The other mistake people make is only having a calorie surplus on lifting days.
    Its amazing how many people still think that they grow only on lifting days. Its the minutes, hours and days BETWEEN lifts that you are growing.

Anyway, Im past all that stuff these days. Too old to be getting injured throwing heavy weights around and lighter stuff just doesnt interest me.

And the the best supplement I ever found was steak and eggs :-)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567