Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating enough after weightlifting page 3

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Bah, like everything else in the world, there are trends in popularity. Mark has been reporting on the benfits of intermittent fasting, the Lean Gains crowd has been discussing IF (with lots of apparent success) for quite some time, so now we hear a lot of "do everything fasted" type responses.

Now, before people shoot me down, I'm on a Lean Gains style program, and I do lift fasted. But that is because I am still not happy with my bodyfat.

Lifting fasted has advantages, but an IF style diet also has disadvantages. For you, who seems to be ok with bodyweight, and want to gain muscle mass, I wouldn't recommend lifting while fasted.

Just eat healthy, and the muscle will grow. IFing and low carb diets both tend to slow down recovery and muscle growth (I'm on both, ironically).

Eat lots of healthy food, make sure you are getting carbs, protein and fats, and you will gain muscle.

As for your sugar craving, Mark wrote a post about getting cravings for sugars because the body needs either fats or proteins (don't remember which, couldn't find the post). I mean, some carbs are good after weight lifting, but you shouldn't need that much, especially a day or two afterwards.

--Me
    I am on a leangains program as well and I am seeing great success and strength gains. However, my schedule does not allow me to work out fasted, unless I hit the gym at 5:30-6am daily. At this point I am forced to train fasted on the weekends only but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Are you low carbing on your lifting days as well?
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    while i think that training on an empty stomach may be a good idea for some people (not me), training while thirsty or not warmed up is just plain stupid. you've obviously never passed out from dehydration or injured yourself due to the lack of a proper warmup, or seen someone else do either
    I've definitely never passed out from dehydration. But there is no way I am going to get dehydrated during 30-60 mins in a gym. Most of that time I am sat down resting anyway. I don't seem to need to warm up any more, I can just go straight into stuff. Also I find warming up really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Bah, like everything else in the world, there are trends in popularity. Mark has been reporting on the benfits of intermittent fasting, the Lean Gains crowd has been discussing IF (with lots of apparent success) for quite some time, so now we hear a lot of "do everything fasted" type responses.

Now, before people shoot me down, I'm on a Lean Gains style program, and I do lift fasted. But that is because I am still not happy with my bodyfat.

Lifting fasted has advantages, but an IF style diet also has disadvantages. For you, who seems to be ok with bodyweight, and want to gain muscle mass, I wouldn't recommend lifting while fasted.

Just eat healthy, and the muscle will grow. IFing and low carb diets both tend to slow down recovery and muscle growth (I'm on both, ironically).

Eat lots of healthy food, make sure you are getting carbs, protein and fats, and you will gain muscle.

As for your sugar craving, Mark wrote a post about getting cravings for sugars because the body needs either fats or proteins (don't remember which, couldn't find the post). I mean, some carbs are good after weight lifting, but you shouldn't need that much, especially a day or two afterwards.
    It really felt like I needed those carbs and sugar though. And I am sure I had enough protein and fat - a 2 1/2lb Woolpig pork chop (over 60% fat and forest raised), 5 quail eggs and half a goose egg, half a beef heart, 3 lb chips (both potato and sweet potato) deep fried in tallow, etc. Felt different from the kind of hunger I get after a long bike ride (like the 18 miles back from the office planned for this evening).
    Last edited by billp; 04-17-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: beef heart

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I've definitely never passed out from dehydration. But there is no way I am going to get dehydrated during 30-60 mins in a gym. Most of that time I am sat down resting anyway. I don't seem to need to warm up any more, I can just go straight into stuff. Also I find warming up really boring.
    good luck with that philosophy. try not to tick off the soccer moms when you move their pink dumbells

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    good luck with that philosophy. try not to tick off the soccer moms when you move their pink dumbells
    LOL. I get some funny looks, that's for certain. Also from supposedly fit guy guys prancing about with tiny weights for hours on end, or worse machines set to tiny weights. I think I out of the gym and on my way home before they have even finished warming up.

My three yr old daughter has a tiny pink weight that is the same size as the most of the ones those adult women use.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    LOL. I get some funny looks, that's for certain. Also from supposedly fit guy guys prancing about with tiny weights for hours on end, or worse machines set to tiny weights. I think I out of the gym and on my way home before they have even finished warming up.

My three yr old daughter has a tiny pink weight that is the same size as the most of the ones those adult women use.
    dude.. warm up. warm up thoroughly. you'll get the most out of your workout, and not only will you be prepping your CNS for the intensity of an actual workout, but you'll be helping prevent muscle/ligament/and tendon injuries. same goes for cool downs. cool down thoroughly and stretch. take it from someone with 20+ years experience with this stuff, both as a competitive athlete and as a trainer. you'll be doing yourself a favor

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
    I am on a leangains program as well and I am seeing great success and strength gains. However, my schedule does not allow me to work out fasted, unless I hit the gym at 5:30-6am daily. At this point I am forced to train fasted on the weekends only but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Are you low carbing on your lifting days as well?
    I'm low-carb every day, but not by choice. I'm a type 1 diabetic, so low-carb is mandatory. Trust me, if I could eat carbs, I would. They are not evil (though 300+ grams a day can be if you're sedentary).

As for the craving thing I posted, it was a thought, but not an attempt to show you how smart I am. I accept your rebuttal with the protein + fat from pig I don't know what causes you to get those urges. Could there be some sort of trigger food you are eating that makes you want to binge on carbs?

--Me

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't drink whey because when every calorie counts, wasting them on whey sounds horrible. I'd rather have an omlette! I make my own ice-cream, it is pretty easy, but I can't tolerate sugar at all, so I just get to see my husband and my kid enjoying it....

I resent this comment about all adult women lifting pink dumbbells. In my gym there are quite a few of ladies who train heavy. And plenty of guys who train stupid (particularly teens). In all honesty though, I don't want more women to get clued in, because I have enough hard time competing with the guys for the squatting rack and stuff, and since there are more women in the world than men... more competition, grr.

Honestly, women will do anything they are advised to get in shape. Too bad that the advice is rotten most of the time. They tell us to run 5 days a week, we run five days a week; they tell us to wave pink dumbbells while doing burpees in pursuit of tone, so we bootcamp daily till we drop; they tell us to lift heavy, we squat over body weight until we drop on our still fat bums with a resounding thud. Hopeless.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    I don't like mystery liquids that are suspiciously proteiny with things floating in them. And I only eat real foods, not things made from dried powers.

The ice cream is especially chosen not to be junk food - that particular brand only contains "Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Vanilla" - I am a bit doubtful about the skimmed milk (why???) but otherwise I think it is basically ok.

I have basically given up preparing special food before any kind of strenuous exercise like hill walking or a massive bike ride. I reckon on eating after I have finished. Plus when you are out on the hills or on your bike it is a lot less hassle not to have to carry anything with you. So I won't eat anything special before a lifting session. Probably best to vary it anyway, sometimes to have a full stomach, sometime an empty one, sometime thirsty sometime not, sometimes warmed up sometimes not.
    Well, you're eating ice cream. I'm sure there are some things in there but not so sure. Anyways you can finde 100% with none of the artificial stuff. Whey is from dairy.

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I don't drink whey because when every calorie counts, wasting them on whey sounds horrible. I'd rather have an omlette! I make my own ice-cream, it is pretty easy, but I can't tolerate sugar at all, so I just get to see my husband and my kid enjoying it....

I resent this comment about all adult women lifting pink dumbbells. In my gym there are quite a few of ladies who train heavy. And plenty of guys who train stupid (particularly teens). In all honesty though, I don't want more women to get clued in, because I have enough hard time competing with the guys for the squatting rack and stuff, and since there are more women in the world than men... more competition, grr.

Honestly, women will do anything they are advised to get in shape. Too bad that the advice is rotten most of the time. They tell us to run 5 days a week, we run five days a week; they tell us to wave pink dumbbells while doing burpees in pursuit of tone, so we bootcamp daily till we drop; they tell us to lift heavy, we squat over body weight until we drop on our still fat bums with a resounding thud. Hopeless.
    um why when whey gives you a lot of protein? IF you're lifting weights I'm sure you won't get enough from just eating.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast