Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating enough after weightlifting page 2

Dailytribal is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah I would think a protein shake would help a lot. and drink milk.

Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Everyone I've communicated with on this site agrees that working out while fasted improves your lifts. Not hungry, fasted. If you want to gain muscle mass, then eat those carbs and up your calorie intake. What's helped me immeasurably is the Starting Strength routine, it's fast, easy, almost all (except bench press) compound movements like squats, dead lift, cleans, and overhead press. It makes you feel like you're building purposeful muscles, instead of staring into the mirrors at the gym straining on a machine that has a range of motion that is not transferable to real life. And I don't know about you, but I live almost completely in real life.
    The Starting Strength Novice/Beginner Programs - Starting Strength Wiki
    I don't have the book, but there's sample workouts available online and a forum thread on here that should be pretty helpful.
    A few of those machines are important if you move the same way in a sport or whatever.

Oh and I dunno about the fasting thing. Just because a few people say it here.... go to bodybuilding.com forum and ask there.

They also have the whole starting strength workout in a thread and have people with their own variations that some think is better.
    Last edited by Dailytribal; 04-16-2012 at 03:11 PM.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dailytribal View Post
    Yeah I would think a protein shake would help a lot. and drink milk.
    I don't think I can bring myself to drink a protein shake. I'd rather eat a raw egg, or a cooked one. I already drink milk in my tea. I've started eating ice cream again (Haagen Daz Vanil.) which is all milk, sugar and cream. And I drank a pot of pouring cream today too.

So you don't think it pays to go into a lifting session fasted?

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I don't think I can bring myself to drink a protein shake. I'd rather eat a raw egg, or a cooked one. I already drink milk in my tea. I've started eating ice cream again (Haagen Daz Vanil.) which is all milk, sugar and cream. And I drank a pot of pouring cream today too.

Well some would say on here that the ice cream is made with junk whatever. But I dunno I think with a protein shake you would get the protein faster into your muscles. But that is just from a few things I've heard.

Also why wouldn't you drink a shake?

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    a protein shake is pretty close to just melted ice cream to me....
    milk (or water depending on your goals)
    whey powder
    and maybe some berries
    and maybe some ice cubes

Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

billp is offline Senior Member
    Well some would say on here that the ice cream is made with junk whatever. But I dunno I think with a protein shake you would get the protein faster into your muscles. But that is just from a few things I've heard.

Also why wouldn't you drink a shake?
    I don't like mystery liquids that are suspiciously proteiny with things floating in them. And I only eat real foods, not things made from dried powers.

The ice cream is especially chosen not to be junk food - that particular brand only contains "Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Vanilla" - I am a bit doubtful about the skimmed milk (why???) but otherwise I think it is basically ok.

I have basically given up preparing special food before any kind of strenuous exercise like hill walking or a massive bike ride. I reckon on eating after I have finished. Plus when you are out on the hills or on your bike it is a lot less hassle not to have to carry anything with you. So I won't eat anything special before a lifting session. Probably best to vary it anyway, sometimes to have a full stomach, sometime an empty one, sometime thirsty sometime not, sometimes warmed up sometimes not.

So I won't eat anything special before a lifting session. Probably best to vary it anyway, sometimes to have a full stomach, sometime an empty one, sometime thirsty sometime not, sometimes warmed up sometimes not.
    while i think that training on an empty stomach may be a good idea for some people (not me), training while thirsty or not warmed up is just plain stupid. you've obviously never passed out from dehydration or injured yourself due to the lack of a proper warmup, or seen someone else do either

adamm is offline Senior Member

Bah, like everything else in the world, there are trends in popularity. Mark has been reporting on the benfits of intermittent fasting, the Lean Gains crowd has been discussing IF (with lots of apparent success) for quite some time, so now we hear a lot of "do everything fasted" type responses.

Now, before people shoot me down, I'm on a Lean Gains style program, and I do lift fasted. But that is because I am still not happy with my bodyfat.

Lifting fasted has advantages, but an IF style diet also has disadvantages. For you, who seems to be ok with bodyweight, and want to gain muscle mass, I wouldn't recommend lifting while fasted.

Just eat healthy, and the muscle will grow. IFing and low carb diets both tend to slow down recovery and muscle growth (I'm on both, ironically).

Eat lots of healthy food, make sure you are getting carbs, protein and fats, and you will gain muscle.

As for your sugar craving, Mark wrote a post about getting cravings for sugars because the body needs either fats or proteins (don't remember which, couldn't find the post). I mean, some carbs are good after weight lifting, but you shouldn't need that much, especially a day or two afterwards.

--Me

A few of those machines are important if you move the same way in a sport or whatever.
    I'm of the mind to agree to disagree; however, I would like to know what machines are helpful to what sport.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    I'm of the mind to agree to disagree; however, I would like to know what machines are helpful to what sport.
    i was thinking the same thing

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast