Thread: HELP! I think I ruined a large batch of bone broth :( page

patski is offline Senior Member

HELP! I think I ruined a large batch of bone broth :(

I had fresh bones I bought today that I roasted.

I also had some used bones from a previous broth that had been in the fridge for maybe...a week? Anyway, they smelled a little...rank.

But I thought 'whatever. They're gonna cook and boil for 6+ hours. It should be fiiiiiiiine'.

Well, after 6+ hours, I have broth that's cloudy (the only ingredients were water, bones, fat from said bones, salt, and apple cider vinegar), and I've never had cloudy broth. AND it smells a little funny.

Am I totally screwed??? I wanna cry.

Edited to add: Wifey just came downstairs and commented that the kitchen smells like bile.

*SOBS*
    Last edited by patski; 04-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Yeah you can't make bone broth with bones that have gone off. I store them in my freezer until I've got enough to make a decent-sized batch.

The problem isn't the bacteria, it's the bacterial waste products. They're often toxic, and not affected by cooking.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Sorry - but I would toss it without a second thought.

I recently went to strain a large batch of broth and in a moment of pure genius strained the whole pot through the strainer in to my empty kitchen sink....I have forgotten to put a collection pot under it. Very sad moment

But not as sad as giving yourself food poisoning. When in doubt, throw it out!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

patski is offline Senior Member
    I dumped it

God, it REEKED!!!

Luckily, I had another bag of bones in the freezer, which are now roasting. I'll be damned if I don't have bone broth tomorrow, LOL

Bacterial waste products?

Sounds NASTY.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

I recently went to strain a large batch of broth and in a moment of pure genius strained the whole pot through the strainer in to my empty kitchen sink....I have forgotten to put a collection pot under it. Very sad moment
    LOL! I've come close to doing the same thing many times! I can imagine how sad that moment is when realise your mistake.

If it smelled funky I would have tossed it too.