Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Type 2 diabetes cured by eating Paleo/Primal diet? page

kahiba is offline Senior Member

Is Type 2 diabetes cured by eating Paleo/Primal diet?

Primal Fuel
    The reason I ask is that my daughter-in-law works for a pharmaceutical company selling diabetic drugs to doctors to prescibe for their patients. She says type 2 is not curable but I've read a few success stories here and elsewhere but none long term. So! does eating this way result in permanent long term removal of symptoms of diabetes type 2. I would love to hear from people with success in managing this disease.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Jodis is offline Member
    Hmmm, what do you mean by "cure"? I seriously doubt that anyone who was diabetic or pre-diabetic would ever be able to go back to eating a SAD (Standard American Diet, or in your case, possibly Standard Australian Diet ). If one did, I believe s/he would find themselves back in the same place as before. Totally IMO, but the best you could expect would be an abatement of the "markers" of Type 2 Diabetes -- that is, you would have normal range values for your triglycerides, your HDL/LDL ratios, etc. In that regard, I do believe it's possible to permanently remove the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes, but only if you eat primally permanently.

I don't think health is a static thing that we can achieve and then forget about. It's something that has to be maintained; you don't get healed and never have to think about it again. Kind of a lame analogy (pun fully intended), but it's not like breaking a limb, which will then heal and generally be fully functional again (or even only mostly functional). You can heal your health/metabolism, but you can also do things to damage them again.

All that said, I too have read success stories here and other sites, and I hope to find that I have dropped back out of the pre-diabetes to the "normal" range when I next have blood work done. I hope to get off the blood pressure medications and not have to take any diabetes medicines. I don't really know how badly I've damaged my metabolism over the years (various diets, terrible eating practices, and advancing age and being post menopause). Perhaps all I can achieve is improvement, but I won't know unless I try it, so I'm trying it.

HOW primally one would need to eat to improve or eliminate the diabetes markers probably depends entirely on the individual.

ETA: Many diabetes medications bring along a whole host of other problems.
    Last edited by Jodis; 04-15-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Another thought

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people have eliminated their need for medication and their diabetes symptoms have disappeared eating this way. But diabetes exists on a spectrum, different countries even have different definitions of it. "Cure" sounds like you can go back to the old ways and not have diabetes anymore. I think it's more "Primal is likely to dramatically reduce the severity of diabetes depending on a lot of factors." I have not seen ONE case of a diabetic person's symptoms worsening on primal.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Martha is offline Senior Member
    In a word, yes. Google Dr. Richard Bernstein.

EliasFaust is offline Junior Member
    I seriously doubt that anyone who was diabetic or pre-diabetic would ever be able to go back to eating a SAD

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EliasFaust View Post
    I seriously doubt that anyone who was diabetic or pre-diabetic would ever be able to go back to eating a SAD
    Well, really no one should be eating SAD. Eating SAD causes Type 2 diabetes. Eating an ancestral diet reverses that. I do not understand the desire to return to all or any part of a WOE that causes disease.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    No, and I think Kurt Harris makes a good point on this. Paleo and other WOEs are palliative, not curative. If it was actually curative, you could go back to a SAD WOE and be fine.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Diabetes can be managed very successfully on a primal/paleo/low-carb/LCHF diet -so much so that many achieve and maintain completely normal blood sugar values. But if they go back to eating a high-carb diet (and carbs are the main enemy in their case, there's no doubt about that), they would go back to high blood sugars and diabetes...

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    It probably doesn't 'cure' it, but it does treat it, which is all people should worry about imo. I went paleo/low-carb 6 weeks ago after a test showed I was borderline pre-diabetic. My blood-glucose dropped to the low end of normal within a few days.

I've no doubt the figures would go up again if I went back to eating what the powers that be want me to eat, but that isn't going to happen, much to the disgust of my GP. I tend to look at it the other way round now - paleo/low-carb may not cure T2, but high-carb with lots of sweet fruit certainly causes it.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I am a type II diabetic and have been since 2005. In talking to my endo, she feels it is possible to put diabetes in remission for a fair number of years. She does feel that when you slow down as you age that it will probably make a re-appearance. I have an extremely strong family history and although she feels it is possible for me to put it in remission given my current numbers, with a large weight loss and exercise, she feels that it is unlikely that I would keep it longer than about 10 years. She say once the tendency is there it is always going to be a fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast