Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Type 2 diabetes cured by eating Paleo/Primal diet? page 2

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ingvildr, there are many stories of diabetics who have achieved normal blood sugar levels with a very low-carb diet. The Swedish doctor Andreas Eenfeldt posts a lot of them on his Swedish blog (there are interviews and newspaper/blog articles, but most of them are in Swedish), but I suppose you can read the English version and get some information there too. Also see this interview with a Canadian doctor who has been symptom-free from his type 2 diabetes for 8 years now thanks to a ketogenic diet: How to cure type 2 diabetes - YouTube I do think there's hope, if one manages to stick to a very low-carb diet.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    My DH was diagnosed diabetic 3 and a half years ago, very high Levels ( figgure he had been diabetic for some time) and the Dr/Diabetic specilist told him that he would need to eventully go on insulin, probably within a year.. That there was no cure and that food changes wouldent have a significant effect.

I made some changes to diet at that point, not strict Primal but cut out a lot of the sugar and added more fresh veg(i already cooked a much better diet than SAD so it wasent to hard)
    5 months after he was diagnosed, his test came back as compleatly normal, dr couldent belive it and had to call up the lab as he figgured they had made a mistake. Nope. Test were correct. Dr not happy with that and tried to put him on statins(yes, statins which are a nono for diabetics and persons with depression issues as they are a known cause for both) at wich point hubby told him where he could stuff said statins
    Hubby hasent tested Diabetic for over 3 years now.
    So yes, i would say you can cure diabeties2 with diet along but keeping in mind its better to make healthy lifestyle changes to improve your health in the long run than just go on a "diet" for 6 months then go back to th same way of eating that led to the problem in the first place.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodis View Post
    Hmmm, what do you mean by "cure"? I seriously doubt that anyone who was diabetic or pre-diabetic would ever be able to go back to eating a SAD (Standard American Diet, or in your case, possibly Standard Australian Diet ). If one did, I believe s/he would find themselves back in the same place as before. Totally IMO, but the best you could expect would be an abatement of the "markers" of Type 2 Diabetes -- that is, you would have normal range values for your triglycerides, your HDL/LDL ratios, etc. In that regard, I do believe it's possible to permanently remove the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes, but only if you eat primally permanently.
    What she said. I have never been dx'ed diabetic, but my sister and father both have been. I'm pretty sure I have the gene. I do get tested annually, but my blood sugar levels have gone from in the high range to normal or a bit below. I feel like I'm avoiding triggering the disease by eating primally. Going back to a SAD will never be an option for me, because I really think that's what is happening with me.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

CSilivestru is offline Member
    My understanding is that the term "cure" is thrown around a little too loosely... I don't think you can ever truly reverse it BUT you can manage it very effectively. Like another poster, I have yet to hear about one case where their diabetes became worse on a primal diet. From a biological standpoint, it's very plain to see that this diet would have unbelievably good effects on Insulin Resistance as well as blood sugar normalization.

I would say that the primal lifestyle (not just the diet) is the best way to manage Type 2 diabetes!
    Disclaimer -- I'm not an MD but I DO read a lot ;-).
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracil View Post
    No, and I think Kurt Harris makes a good point on this. Paleo and other WOEs are palliative, not curative. If it was actually curative, you could go back to a SAD WOE and be fine.
    By that definition, nothing is curative.

* Antibiotics don't prevent you from getting sick again. Therefore, they are palliative, not curative.
    * Anthelmintics don't prevent you from getting infected again. Therefore, they are palliative, not curative.
    * Chemotherapy doesn't prevent you from getting cancer again. Therefore, it is palliative, not curative.
    * Physical rehabilitation doesn't prevent you from injuring yourself again. Therefore, it is palliative, not curative.

Similarly, going back to the diet that made you sick is very likely to make you get sick again.

JS

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that's what he was getting at though. My understanding of diabetes is that it comes with a *permanent* loss of certain bodily functions (beta cells) and can never be recovered. Not quite the same as the examples you give where for the most part, the body will go back to its healthy, fully functioning state after the respective cures, sans cures.

So unless a paleo/primal lifestyle can actually restore beta cell function (and maybe it can, I dunno), I don't see how the examples are analogous.

Now, I think the paleo/primal lifestyle is also *preventative* in addition to palliative, which is an important point. Prevention is generally better than trying to treat it after the fact.
    Last edited by Dracil; 04-16-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Torc is offline Member
    I have to agree here, since I began this change I have had far more level BS levels than before, no spikes and the only down side is adjusting the needed carbs to stay out of the low range.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
    Diabetes can be managed very successfully on a primal/paleo/low-carb/LCHF diet -so much so that many achieve and maintain completely normal blood sugar values. But if they go back to eating a high-carb diet (and carbs are the main enemy in their case, there's no doubt about that), they would go back to high blood sugars and diabetes...

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Type 2 diabetes can often be 'managed' by diet alone--i.e., without Rx, but that depends on the level of damage to the body. There are diabetics who eat 'perfectly' but must remain on meds.

Dr. Richard Bernstein is the expert on this, and his work should be read by every diabetic.

I'm not diabetic, but all my siblings are, and I have been eating low carb (c. 20g) for years, eating primally for about 2 years. My endo believes that my WOE is what's keeping me from developing diabetes--since my blood sugar, while always in the normal range, runs high for someone who eats no sugar or starch. I wasn't sure I believed him, but last night there was a feature on the local news about how 'pre-diabetics' are being counseled about diet to avoid developing the disease--and it's working for those who are compliant.

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    I don't think cured is the appropriate word, maybe sent in to remission is better? Honestly, I don't even look at diabetes as a disease unless you fry your beta cells, and at that point you are insulin dependent. Up until that point it is merely a metabolic state that you can go in to and come out of depending on what you eat/do. Primal is the way to go to get out of this state, I get clients who drop their fasting blood glucose by 40 points in 6-8 weeks, that's more than enough for your average diabetic to be in the healthy range.

CSilivestru is offline Member
    I think it's a VERY important distinction that's being made between curing and managing type II diabetes. Especially when the media (think Biggest Loser) constantly has DOCTORS tell the patients / contestants that they've cured their diabetes -- it's a rather dishonest word to use in that context.

I'm not a Biggest Loser fan but I know that North America looks to that show to see what they need to do to get healthy (even if it's completely unsustainable and, IMHO, damaging to the body. Same goes for Dr. Oz but I don't mean to change the subject!!
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast