Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 181

Thread: Is butter OK? page 13

  1. #121
    Devain's Avatar
    Devain is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    75
    Shop Now
    I started drinking "Bulletproof Coffee" about 10 days ago, and I am hooked. 18+ hour fasts daily with nothing but a large ~500 calorie coffee are almost effortless. I've managed to do my first workout bootcamp, 3 hour hikes, 12 hour workdays, etc, all with nothing to sustain me but my body fat, 2-3tbsp of MCT oil, and 2-3Tbsp of Kerrygold unsalted. It also works out to less than $2 a day, way cheaper than breakfast was, and I take the savings and eat more grass fed beef. I'm also down another 7 lbs in that time.

    I use a different brand of MCT, Smart/Basics, which has the same formulation as the more expensive one that is recommended, and is also made from coconut oil.

    I know its been posted repeatedly, but here it is once more for anyone who doesn't know what Bulletproof Coffee is: Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof...And Your Morning Too | The Bulletproof Executive
    Im not in this world to live up to your expectations and youre not in this world to live up to mine. ―Bruce Lee


    2012: 01/17 238~34% | 03/17 215~28%| 5/17 196~24% | 8/22 188 ~20% (then I got lazy)
    2013: 1/27 190~20%

  2. #122
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    Did you really just try to suggest that raw heavy cream and sugar are on equal footing - nutritionally speaking?
    Absolutely. Cream is almost entirely empty fat with little nutrition. Sugar is almost entirely empty carbohydrate with little nutrition. Actually, I'd wager something like blackstrap molasses or coconut sugar per calorie is more nutrient dense than heavy cream with no risk to people with a casein intolerance.

    Admittedly, the sugar with have a far greater impact on blood sugar obviously, but both are going to generate a substantial insulin response. The cream will just come with an ensuing glucagon response to keep blood sugar stable. The point is why would you do that when you can eat something like jerky, nuts, fruit, trail mix, an avocado or an infinity of other real foods for energy on the go that actually contain real nutrition alongside the calories?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-16-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  3. #123
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Absolutely. Cream is almost entirely empty fat with little nutrition. Sugar is almost entirely empty carbohydrate with little nutrition. Actually, I'd wager something like blackstrap molasses or coconut sugar per calorie is more nutrient dense than heavy cream with no risk to people with a casein intolerance.

    Admittedly, the sugar with have a far greater impact on blood sugar obviously, but both are going to generate a substantial insulin response. The cream will just come with an ensuing glucagon response to keep blood sugar stable. The point is why would you do that when you can eat something like jerky, nuts, fruit, trail mix, an avocado or an infinity of other real foods for energy on the go that actually contain real nutrition alongside the calories?
    Exactly why Chocotaco should be ignored - he pretty much just makes shit up. Here is a screenshot from fitday of the %dv in 1000 calories of heavy cream. Looking up 1000 calories of white sugar, the highest value is 4%. Let's totally ignore the impact of sugar on the liver, insulin response, etc., that is also just as wrong.
    Chocotaco acts like a guy who knows what he's talking about, but he doesn't at all. He just makes shit up and he should be roundly ignored.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  4. #124
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Just in case you don't get my message, Choco:

    You are just bullshitting, you don't know very much at all about this stuff, and you are abusing this platform where very unhealthy people come looking for advice. You don't have the knowledge or the life experience to help obese and metabolically damaged folks get healthy, and you are doing them a disservice. You ought to take a good look at why you are posting crap on here. This is the third time I've called you out for purely making up crap and sounding like an authority figure.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  5. #125
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Exactly why Chocotaco should be ignored - he pretty much just makes shit up. Here is a screenshot from fitday of the %dv in 1000 calories of heavy cream. Looking up 1000 calories of white sugar, the highest value is 4%. Let's totally ignore the impact of sugar on the liver, insulin response, etc., that is also just as wrong.
    Chocotaco acts like a guy who knows what he's talking about, but he doesn't at all. He just makes shit up and he should be roundly ignored.
    Where did I ever say "white sugar"? You assumed that, or you're purposely making a straw man. I don't have any white sugar in my house.

    I have organic maple syrup.
    I have organic coconut sugar.
    I have 100% raw honey.
    I have blackstrap molasses.

    Those are the ONLY real sweeteners in my house aside from very good quality stevia. I will put the nutrition profile of ALL OF THEM against heavy cream per calorie. You're the one making things up.

    Yes, ignore me. You should ignore everyone whose opinion is different than yours and then skew their argument to try and indoctrinate others into your thinking. That's what every good malicious dictator does. Thinking on your own and developing your own educated opinion is for chumps.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  6. #126
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Just in case you don't get my message, Choco:

    You are just bullshitting, you don't know very much at all about this stuff, and you are abusing this platform where very unhealthy people come looking for advice. You don't have the knowledge or the life experience to help obese and metabolically damaged folks get healthy, and you are doing them a disservice. You ought to take a good look at why you are posting crap on here. This is the third time I've called you out for purely making up crap and sounding like an authority figure.
    I have never claimed that I know everything about anything.

    I have also never stated that anyone should be "ignored".

    You have zero evidence to back anything you said up, and you WILL NOT put my argument in the proper context because you know you will lose. I don't have the answers to life and I never will, and I will never claim I do. However, I will put my knowledge up against yours. I feel totally comfortable with that because I haven't ever rolled my eyes at a post on MDA to the extent I just did yours. That was absolutely pathetic on your part. You've been on this forum for a long time and I really expect better out of you than this. I'm disappointed in you. If you disagree with me, that's fine. At least use an intelligent argument. I know you're more than capable.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  7. #127
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Actually I'm not going to ignore you, because you are bullshitter who comes across as an authority figure, and that's doing a real disservice to people who come here to get healthy. Anytime you say ridiculous crap like heavy cream = sugar, I'll call you out on it and I hope others do too. This ought to be a helpful place where people get advice on following the PB, which you don't follow or agree with, and you don't know 1/3 of the science that you claim to.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  8. #128
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You may as well take a spoon to a bag of raw sugar or a jar of honey since all you're looking for is energy with no nutrition.
    Anyone can look this up on fitday or sparkpeople and know that you're just making stuff up to sound knowledgeable and haven't even spent five minutes checking out the things you espouse.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  9. #129
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Actually I'm not going to ignore you, because you are bullshitter who comes across as an authority figure, and that's doing a real disservice to people who come here to get healthy. Anytime you say ridiculous crap like heavy cream = sugar, I'll call you out on it and I hope others do too. This ought to be a helpful place where people get advice on following the PB, which you don't follow or agree with, and you don't know 1/3 of the science that you claim to.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Anyone can look this up on fitday or sparkpeople and know that you're just making stuff up to sound knowledgeable and haven't even spent five minutes checking out the things you espouse.
    Oh really? Please, document the evidence. Show a nutritional breakdown of 1,000 calories of coconut sugar or blackstrap molasses versus 1,000 calories of heavy cream. I'd be stunned if you'd actually do it because you'd torpedo your own argument. I'd really respect you if you did it because it takes guts to backtrack.

    It's interesting that you're claiming that I'm an "authority figure". Especially since I tell people all the time NOT to listen to me.

    "Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success."

    It's the first line in my signature. I specifically tell you NOT TO LISTEN TO ME and to TRY THINGS OUT ON YOUR OWN. This is the bullshit I call people out on - people blindly follow with no regard, or they get so religious about following a routine they never experiment. I strongly encourage experimentation, and I wish to God someone told me to experiment more when I first started because guess what? All the bullshit I believed in when I first started posting on this forum I now believe to be almost entirely wrong. And do you know why? Because I stopped listening to people like you and actually tried things out on my own.

    So, let's clarify:

    DON'T DO EXACTLY WHAT I DO. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL WORK FOR YOU.

    EXPERIMENT WITH ALL FOODS ON YOURSELF. FIND OUT WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T. DON'T FALL INTO A ROUTINE.

    EAT REAL, WHOLE FOODS.

    That's all I EVER tell people - experiment with real foods on themselves and find out what works. PB is not a one-size-fits-all plan. So please, enlighten me where I'm wrong or where I'm misleading people to promote some self-righteous agenda.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-16-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  10. #130
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    I actually already did that before I posted in this thread, and I posted a screenshot from fitday as part of the start of this flame war that has yet to be approved. Cream has lots of vitamins and provides between 20 and 60% of RDA for a bunch of them @ 1,000 calories worth. It's not a superfood but it's at least as healthy as almonds or some of the other stuff you recommended. That is of course non-grassfed, standard commercial cream. I have no doubt that really high quality cream has a lot more than that even, but I lack hard evidence.

    Raw sugar @ 1000 calories provides copper and iron and a bit of potassium and magnesium but zero vitamins of any type except for 6% RDA of B6. Molasses has a lot more minerals and a decent amount of B6 but none of any other vitamins, but your original post said raw sugar and not molasses.

    This is of course totally ignoring the differential metabolic effects of sugar versus fat. Or the fact that good tasty food is more likely to have copious cream than it is to have 18 tablespoons of molasses.
    Last edited by tfarny; 04-16-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •