Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20-hour IF, but daily - a bad idea or just fine? page

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member

20-hour IF, but daily - a bad idea or just fine?

Would repeated IF day by day -e.g., one nice big balanced meal of about 800 calories per day, plus maybe some coffee and <300 calories of snacks throughout the day - be a reasonable thing to do repeatedly (e.g. 4 days a week), or would that throw a body into starvation mode? Seems to be what my habits are heading me toward as being the most sustainable approach to CR. Thoughts, suggestions, rotten tomatoes?
    TIA

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    (let me clarify... some days it is a genuine fast - e.g. no coffee or tea; some days it's about 150 calories of coffee with coconut cream and the odd macadamia nut here or there - that is, not a genuine fast. it seems both are equally straightforward for me to do logistically.)

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing essentially Fast-5 for over a year with no real problems. I drink black coffee and water liberally throughout the day and work out morning and evening (I'm training for an ultra - 50K - in Nov). An awful lot of the "hunger" for me is the fact that I love food - I really enjoy most of my eating. I've learned to distinguish between a real need for food and just noise in my stomach.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Warrior diet is one meal a day, 1 hour eating window (plus <200 cal snacks throught the day like you), and some people really enjoy it that way. Theres nothing wrong with doing it, whatever feels good!
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    see my thread i started on fast5 .. its about 15 pages of info/experience now ...

i eat 1-5 hours a day only .. no snacks
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    An awful lot of the "hunger" for me is the fact that I love food - I really enjoy most of my eating. I've learned to distinguish between a real need for food and just noise in my stomach.
    Indeed, I am still learning, I have been fasting until lunchtime for the past week and learning to listen to my body, I am hoping to learn real hunger...
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    I'm doing fast 5 daily too. For me its 2 meals in that 5 hours and no other snacks during the day. The main thing is to eat enough during your eating window. For me that's 1400-1500 calories.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    If you are going for CR, I believe most people doing CR are getting a little more calories than you are, especially if an active lifestyle is involved.

Are you doing this for life? Is your goal health and longevity? Or, are you doing this until you reach weigh goals?

You should probably be supplementing some creatine to make up for what you are missing out on by not getting it from food. A half dose of a high quality multi, along with maybe a few other supplements like K2, magnesium, calcium, fish oil, and probiotics might also be a good idea. If you don't get enough sun light throughout the year, 1000 mg of D3 is 4 or 5 days a week is a good idea.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarcrystal8 View Post
    I'm doing fast 5 daily too. For me its 2 meals in that 5 hours and no other snacks during the day. The main thing is to eat enough during your eating window. For me that's 1400-1500 calories.
    This amount of calories sounds healthier, with a better chance of getting more essential nutrients. Calories of course also depend on body type. I'm guess you are not going for CR like the OP, or maybe you are. If you are an average sized male, this would definitely be considered a CR diet.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The 5 hour window thing is fine. Your calories should be based on whether you need to lose weight or not, then from there your food should be primal and all will be well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast