Thread: Paleo/Primal for friends mother in chemotherapy ? page

RobPhoboS is offline Junior Member

Paleo/Primal for friends mother in chemotherapy ?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

I've posted this elsewhere, so apologies if you've bumped into this already

I've just learnt today that one of my best friends mother is currently undergoing chemotherapy for cancer (I didn't yet ask as to which). I know that it's been brought up many times, for victims of cancer that eating a paleo/primal way is a good way to help the fight.
    Now obviously what I want to do is send my friend & his mother some articles/books that they can check out, which are more specific to how eating this way should be beneficial.
    The trouble I'm having is that the searches are bringing up a wide and not necessarily specific articles.

Obviously I'm searching away but any help will be much appreciated !

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    No help, but tread very very VERY carefully, and be prepared to be told to "go forth and multiply".

People with serious/terminal illnesses are already targetted by every quack, nutter, preacher, etc. They may have raw vegan miracle workers in one ear, the Dr in another, the counsellor in another....

You may be better off focussing on a more general "healthy simple food" approach, perhaps recipes, that happen to be primal. She may not have much appetite, things like that. Ask them if they want to hear about the research you come across; don't just dump it on them

RobPhoboS is offline Junior Member
    Appreciate the advise
    In this particular case I think at the very least they'll listen and read, as to whether or not she will give it a go, well, I don't know for sure.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    You might print out Mark's latest article on' fasting and cancer', and highlight just the part about lessening side effects of chemotherapy through fasting. Offer it with the thought that it would be easy to try. I think the smaller the amount of information offered, as in, 'here's one thing to try', the easier it is for people under stress to consider it.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I would not presume to advise anyone undergoing cancer treatment on diet. That's best left to the doctors involved. Just as there are various types of cancer, there are many types of chemo--and there may be specific dietary suggestions for this individual's treatment.

Moreover, many types of chemo cause nausea, and because it's extremely important to insure that the individual eats enough for nourishment, special shakes and supplements are often prescribed.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Ketogenic diets have a good deal of promise in the realm of slowing/stopping cancer in earlier stages Ketogenic Nutrition: Advanced cancer and the ketogenic diet. Seems in advanced stages it may be too late. They should actually be supervised. Yes the fasting articles are also good, but consider you are just continuing your ketogenic state when you don't eat anyhow. If this was me or a family member of mine its what I would do. Nutrient dense foods like liver, egg yolk, and bone broth are your friends.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I would not presume to advise anyone undergoing cancer treatment on diet. That's best left to the doctors involved. Just as there are various types of cancer, there are many types of chemo--and there may be specific dietary suggestions for this individual's treatment.

Moreover, many types of chemo cause nausea, and because it's extremely important to insure that the individual eats enough for nourishment, special shakes and supplements are often prescribed.
    i have to agree with this. there comes a time when we arm chair experts would do best to offer support and love and compassion rather than our sage advice. this is that time.