Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunlight Alarms page

Jefferson is offline Member

Primal Fuel

So Marks post about the effects of light on sleep cycles got me to thinking about sunlight alarms again. I've wanted one for over a year now, but every time I look at them the reviews all talk about the horrible quality of them. Even the ones that do a wonderful job of waking people up more naturally seem to fall apart or burn out within a few months.

I'm curious if anyone here uses a sunlight alarm and has found one that is durable and will last a good long while?

Thanks!

Greg B is offline Junior Member

You can make one with a simple light timer and an auto dimming circuit, or a light that takes a while to warm up. I can't vouch for it, since I wake up fine without an alarm, but in theory it should cost about $10-$15 to do it yourself so longevity won't be as much of an issue.

hypnotik is offline Junior Member

My fiancee bought us a light timer, it's called "Lighten Up!"; just set the time and duration and plug the lamp into the device, go to sleep, and come morning it wakes you up nice and slowly. We got the lower-priced model, about $30.

pieter d is offline Junior Member

I've got this one:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/alarm-clock/hf3480_60/prd/us/

I don't know if it is available in the US, but it is a really good one. But pricy!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

My sunlight alarm was free.......the sun.

OK, OK, but I have noticed that I can, and have, trained myself to wake up within a very narrow time window. It never fails.

ChrisJ is offline Member

I started leaving my curtains open a while back, to let the morning light in. Woke up every morning at exactly the same time, 07:08, about 10 mins for my alarm clock. I'd always feel ready to go as well.

I'd be tempted to hook a timer up to one of those natural sunlight bulbs (SAD?), but they are pretty expensive I think.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I would love to wake up to the sun. Unfortunately it doesn't shine through my window at 5 a.m. :-/

We'll see when daylight savings hits... I have to be up by 6:30 most days, 5:15 on Fridays because I go into work early. I'm starting to see the sun before I leave for work, so that's a plus!

Another problem at my current house... can't leave the blinds open because our bedroom faces the STREET! Great design, huh? Well it is military housing. Yeah, there's a giant street lamp that shines directly into my room at night. Right into my eyes. We're moving after the hub gets back so maybe I can work that out then!

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

guido Guest

I had one for a while but it started to go crazy on me flashing at strange times, turning on at 2:00am etc... Unfortunately just out of warranty period 8-( It was nice while it lasted but I haven't replaced it.

ChrisJ is offline Member

minxxa, that sucks about the street light. I'm personally of the opinion that street lighting is just another of the terrible inventions of modern society, for many reasons. ugh. Luckily I'm 2 floors up and back facing. Hope your new place is a bit friendlier.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

avocado is offline Senior Member

Waking up with the sun would be nice sometimes (most of the time I prefer to get up before the sun). But yeah, it's impossible because of streetlights. I savor it when camping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast