Thread: What made you go primal? page

Gilleh is offline Senior Member

Question What made you go primal?

Hello everybody.
    So my question here is, as the title says,
    What made you go primal?
    How long are you primal?
    Did you achieve your goal?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

abbyful is offline Member
    Just being healthier in general. I don't want to lose weight (I'd actually like to gain 5-10 pounds of muscle, I've been "underweight" my whole life) and don't have any health problems. I'm in my late 20s, I figure it's easier to maintain my weight and health than it is to try to fix things 20-30 years from now.

I've been dabbling in primal for about 9 months. I'm not super strict about it (I cheat on holidays and when I go on vacation or go to restaurants), but the majority of meals I cook at home and I try to make them almost all be primal meals. I'd say I'm probably 75% primal.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I was just so sick of being in pain after literally every SAD meal I ate. I felt that my body was telling me to eat real food only, and nothing else.

I've witnessed the end-stage devastating effects of abusing the body with "food" and poor lifestyle choices in the patients I care for.

I grew up with sick, obese, sad family members trying anything to gain control over their own health, except make the choice to eat real food.

I've had my own health and insecurity issues to address.

For all these reasons, I've chosen Paleo for myself. And I'll stick with it because I've seen the future of SAD, and it ain't pretty.
    And, I love the food!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've been a naturopath at heart for a couple of decades now, so the the primal/paleo way of life is a good fit for my philosophy.

It all makes perfect sense to me. I already understood all the stuff about metabolism, but was unaware of the anti-nutrients in non-gluten grains and legumes, problems with the casein in cow's dairy, and how important omega 3:6 ratio is. I'd been gluten-free for about 5 years previously. The major benefit for me has been making my diet less inflammatory, with eczema now under control and recurrent sinus infections have gone. Chronic rhinitis also much improved.

I like the idea of emulating the kind of activity that paleo man/woman would have done, and the emphasis on building lean mass and strength, and doing low-level cardio.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    I read "Wheat Belly" in one day last September, and I immediately threw out the half a loaf of bread and bag of bagels and cereal and all the other wheat I had in the house. Haven't bought any since. As I Googled around to see what people were saying about the book, I saw a lot of mentions of "primal" and "paleo," and that led me to MDA. Since then I've also dropped all sugar and most dairy (except butter and sometimes cheese), and I'm going cold turkey on booze until I hit my goal. I'm not there yet, but I've lost 40 pounds in 7 months, and I want to drop another 10-15 by my birthday in June. I'm trying for a six-pack like in all these "after" pics, or at least a two-pack, but in the meantime just feeling better and not being hungry all the time and just being more physically capable in general... it's great.

I'm also recovering from a really bad knee injury, and it's helped with that. A lot less inflammation, and the exercise program is making me feel better in general.
    Last edited by SeanM; 04-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    The promise my libido might return. Despite others saying that leptin reset is a crock, it worked for me (tho there's nothing to say just going primal may have worked, however I found the leptin reset information before I found MDA).

That was the main reason, add to that the niggling health issues and despite losing weight initially from going sugar free, it was returning. I had been slowly but steadily putting on weight since I hit 40 and didn't want that to continue. That's why I went sugar free, but still eating simple carbs, particularly grains. I want to be healthy in my old age and live for a long time, to be with my family.

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    what really made me go primal was a friend of mine who had amazing results- she had pcos- was told she would never have kids- she goes primal-loses 20 pounds- bam- baby! ( the short version of the story lol)

I have endometriosis and figured if a diet could even her hormones out it could do the same for me- I was sick of dealing with doctors for the issue and getting no real results when it came to the pain ( there have been times I could not move the pain was SO intense)

Along with this I also decided primal was the best way to eat- so far I have intolerances to wheat, barley, corn,- rice not so much and beans- I cant handle them- so as I researched paleo/ primal I knew I had to give it a try to see if it could help and heal me

Ooo so bad with times and dates last year I started out my primal journey before moving from HI to GA sadly while traveling to get to Georgia I didnt eat as primal as I could have- set me back a bit.. but 8 to 10 months ago I started adjusting my diet back to primal..

so far my pain during my cycle has decreased-less days of my cycle- a plus- and before I lacked in energy and even though I am nowhere near my goal of weighing 135 to 140 I have energy something I havent had in years...

Oh and I dont weigh 230 ish pounds ( I am quite positive I weighed more- but alas I did not weigh myself) I have many goals- most are still in progress.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Milty is offline Senior Member
    I turned 29 this past February, despite being young in age I felt like I was a feeble 80 year old. Tired, gaining weight, aches, pains. If I had another 50 years in me I didn't want to spend it feeling any worse than I do now. The first thing that really came to mind was, "how would a caveman eat? surely they have been the healthiest in history." Little did I know the plan was already out there, laid out for me. And so I discovered Primal mid 2010, but only now really getting into it and exploring it first hand as a lifestyle.
    Last edited by Milty; 04-15-2012 at 07:30 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was about 30 pounds overweight, which is the highest I had ever been (other than pregnant). I also had migraines about 50% of the time, and the frequency just kept increasing. Scary.

I knew I was eating crap, and I had lost some weight on Atkins before, but the reliance on chemicals always bothered me. I know that's not how Atkins is supposed to be, but in reality, that's how most people do it.

Anyway, I heard about Primal about a year ago and it just made sense. I scoured the forum and the blogposts, and then I read Primal Blueprint. Then Paleo Solution, then Primal Body, Primal Mind, and then Wheat Belly and then...

Have I acheived my goal? I'm leaner, sure, and the migraines have almost completely disappeared. My thinking is much more clear, I'm less impulsive and have more even energy levels. So in a way I have. But I think my goal is just to be healthy in general, and that's ongoing for the rest of my life.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My body has seemingly responded well to introducing fats in my diet, although i do have to watch my threshold as it can spark some IBS like symptoms and results in funny stools if not moderated.

My diet was crap beforehand, andi thought i was eating healthy when i switched to gluten free as aresult of medical conditions, but in actual fact i was still harming my body, albeit less. Ridding myself of conventional grains and carbs has helped. Nothing but potatoes both kind and rice seems to work for me an i am forever helpful. I dont think i will bother with any other grain. I would like to endulge in legumes now and then though, still yet to properly prepare some though.

The positive results i've witnessed (curing a big case of constipation) encourages me to keep at this diet and keep on improving. Keeping my diet as simple and traditional as i can are my goals and to eventually get my health upto as close to 100% as i can, god willing i can continue to get my life back and just live a normal life, nothing extroadinary and special, just continue trying to enjoy life and face the challenges awaiting.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast