Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes in my palate. page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Changes in my palate.

Shop Now
    Heya

I have noticed that as I go, all things sweet are becoming much too sweet and some bitter flavours have become much less bitter. Is this shift in range of palatableity normal? whats happening?

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I don't know the exact science of it, but for me (and my friend who turned me on to Primal) this has happened. I used to be able to drink/eat sweet things by the gallon but now even a sip of sweet stuff is really too much for me. Sweet and me do not mix nearly as often as before.

Also, I've developed a taste for green tea; everyone else says it tastes bitter but it tastes fine to me. My friend also had a similar experience so I *think* it's normal.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I never particularly like sweets. But I have shifted a bit farther from them.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You're growing up now you've stopped eating baby food (though I wouldn't feed it to a baby)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Heya

I have noticed that as I go, all things sweet are becoming much too sweet and some bitter flavours have become much less bitter. Is this shift in range of palatableity normal? whats happening?
    Tastes are known to acclimate according to what's eaten. The modern affinity for sickeningly sweet things is an aberration. Just think of it as another one of your systems self-correcting as you eat and move in a more biologically appropriate manner. Congrats!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I have found the same thing and am very happy. I used to often think fruit was not sweet enough and now it is perfect. One of my fave desserts is berries with unsweetened whipped cream which 6 months ago would have requires sugaring the berries and the cream. I also find that I now taste the flavors in veggies more, which is nice- the sweetness in cauliflower, bitterness of asparagus, meatiness of mushrooms. Onions are now a flavor I really pick up.

I think what tastes worst to me now is anything prepared with crappy oil- fried potatoes, hashbrowns - not at all palatable, to a reaction of spit out. I was out with a friend and tries a house made potato chip- normally delicious to me and it just was an awful tongue coating flavor.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril
    You're growing up now you've stopped eating baby food (though I wouldn't feed it to a baby)
    Wow, I think I like that quote...

One thing that I've noticed... organ meats like heart for example, they have a strong flavor and a lot of people won't eat them... because, they taste like meat. I've tasted grass-finished muscle meats next to grain-finished muscle meats and there IS a difference. Grain fed has a very mild flavor. Grassfed tastes like meat. Organs taste like meat, but stronger (I love gizzards and hearts. Am working on liver, which I used to eat all the time as a kid and then lost my taste for). Are we a nation of people who have become squeamish about the taste of meat?

I noticed that sweet things (for example milk chocolate and hard candy) now taste sickeningly sweet to me and I can't stand them. But fruit tastes wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973
    I think what tastes worst to me now is anything prepared with crappy oil- fried potatoes, hashbrowns - not at all palatable, to a reaction of spit out. I was out with a friend and tries a house made potato chip- normally delicious to me and it just was an awful tongue coating flavor.
    I also get the "ick" reaction from fried things from restaurants. The industrial seed oils that they cook stuff in, they coat your tongue with something that tastes like motor oil! I was at a restaurant with my family and ate a french fry or something - I also had that weird coating taste on my tongue that I didn't like. I tried a bite of buttered bread and it was icky... it wasn't butter, the bread was "buttered" with whipped margarine (The server called it butter. I beg to differ.) So I set the bread aside and stuck with my extra rare steak and that's all I ate, because the green beans I'd ordered had a big gob of that whipped margarine stuff on them and I said no thanks.

Bitter tea also appeals a lot more to me. I'm working up the courage to try liver again. I can't believe I lost my taste for it. How silly of my taste buds to change like that.

KatieCHI is offline Member
    Same thing is happening to me -- I couldn't even eat a whole orange the other day because it was too sweet. Coffee, which used to taste terrible, is now so good! I still crave sweet things, but now those sweet things are berries and dark chocolate. You're not alone!

AngloPaleo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Haha very well put !

PaleoHeather is offline Junior Member
    I can agree too! I tried to eat part of a peanut butter filled Easter bunny and spit it out. It tasted waxy and gross, not like real chocolate, even though it was normal chocolate. I think the peanut butter filling was what felt nasty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast