Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emotional Eater - stress... CRAZY RANT! page

twinmama is offline Senior Member

Emotional Eater - stress... CRAZY RANT!

Shop Now
    So, I never considered myself an emotional eater until after I had children. I have twins. They drive me out of my mind.

I SUCK at not eating when they stress me out.

Example... I managed to carve out some quiet time. The seemed to be playing nicely and quietly. I must be insane for thinking that was possible. Their father left his car unlocked. They were in there. I realized this when they brought all of his items into the house. Extra sets of keys, thumb drives etc. I have no idea what made it in the house what didn't. I will leave it to him to figure out why he shouldn't leave his car unlocked.

That's not all, that's really no big deal right? Well, they found a big fat black sharpie pen. I walked outside to find that one wrote his initials on the garage door. Letters about 5" big and wide. They are SEVEN... DO WE KNOW NOT TO DRAW A FREAKIN' WALLS? Why yes we do. But you know, they found a pen and a wall.

Fortunately I have a cleaner that took that off. Made them stand right next to me scrubbing.

What happened? Idiot me turned around again. One decided to dump a 64 oz bottle of liquid laundry detergent into the washing machine. Yes I stood over him while he scooped it all out. Until I could sop up the last bit, and now I'm running an empty cycle to clean the damn thing out!

And what do I do? Turn around and wolf down some stupid chocolate thing DH brought home. Just add that to my ass.

I have cleared out my garage about 10 times in the last several months. So that I can work out in there. FOR ME! Toy bins full of crap. They walk in, dump them out. I've walked into my immaculate garage to find my inlaws and children trashing the place. ADULTS just watching them dump everything. I feel like an org considering taking All of their toys to Goodwill. I can't stand them. They are everywhere. My parents and DH's parents will not quit buying crap. They give my kids so much that my children now throw tantrums if someone shows up without a gift, or one of the wrong color. NICE RIGHT? I'm horrified.

Well, I'd love to chat more, but they are "cleaning" up another mess. Gotta go supervise before they blow the house up with something that should not be able to do that.

Oh yeah... suggestions for out of control eating of shit when you are trying to cope. I can't seem to get any since of calm otherwise. Feel like I'm going to have a heart attack just dealing right now... I need punching bag! Might pick that up next.

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    breathe, sweety, just breathe!!!!

I'm a mum to two and far too many toys also!! I feel your frustration.
    No advice. Just understanding.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Um, sounds like their behavior might be learned . . . from you. Just something to think about.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    No kids here, but I hate when I see other family members breaking "rules" (like trashing your garage - so damn rude!!)

In the short term, I do binge for various reasons, but concentrate on keeping it primal/paleo. That can be a lot of bananas, or second, third helpings of dinner. whatever. It's extra nutrition

Can you ask DH not to bring "treats" home? Or get you something like a really ripe, fresh mango/pineapple (yeah, I'm *that girl* that thinks fruit is special).

Wish I could help with the kid issue...does everyone know what you're trying to do re. keeping toys under control etc?

Yeah, grand parents are the first to comment about how many toys they have, and the mess they are quick to make... "hmmm, funny and I haven't bought them". The kids are actually really good at the end of the day with regular space clean up. It's that garage! I hate it! But it's where I have my workout gear. And camping gear. And boat gear. And Christmas decorations, and... Which won't fit nicely elsewhere.

My QUESTION was... any suggestions with regards to stress eating? It used to be I'd pass on food when I was stressed and busy. I'd LOSE weight. Now, it's like... WOW, I'M SURE THERE IS A COOKIE SOMEWHERE HERE! FIND... EAT like you've not eaten in days. I've been doing some internet reasearch since my post. Have a few ideas now regardless.

Hedonist... Intersting comment. While I get that children learn their behavior. You might want to watch twins that behave totally and completely opposite from each other while raised side by side (IE... not with different sets of rules that perhaps an oldest child might have been under compared to a younger child). Actually, there is much going on with my little ones that you are completely clueless about. Information you don't have, nor need to offer a suggestion for the question asked. Which makes your comment, well, useless. But thanks for the randomness. It helps actually.

I get really frustrated when I ask 7 y/os to do something and they do something completely different. Kind of like how I asked for suggestions on a matter completely unrelated to my children's behavior. Shows me how even adults can't follow along well.

Sometimes my expectation are just unreasonable. Especially, given the issues with the kids. Things to still wrap my brain around.

Well, should anyone have some input on the question at hand I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Can you drop them round at the inlaws and leave them there for a few days! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    Can you drop them round at the inlaws and leave them there for a few days! LOL.
    Well, the true beauty is that I don't live close enough for that! LOL! See, I'm luckier than it sounded! hahahahaha!

Today is a much better day. And when I felt a bit stressed I headed off for some cleaning. Which at my house , there is always some of that to be done!

If I can get the garage even a little bit more cleared, I can workout to relieve stress. Which would likely be the best case scenario.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    So, I never considered myself an emotional eater until after I had children. I have twins. They drive me out of my mind.

I SUCK at not eating when they stress me out.

Example... I managed to carve out some quiet time. The seemed to be playing nicely and quietly. I must be insane for thinking that was possible. Their father left his car unlocked. They were in there. I realized this when they brought all of his items into the house. Extra sets of keys, thumb drives etc. I have no idea what made it in the house what didn't. I will leave it to him to figure out why he shouldn't leave his car unlocked.

That's not all, that's really no big deal right? Well, they found a big fat black sharpie pen. I walked outside to find that one wrote his initials on the garage door. Letters about 5" big and wide. They are SEVEN... DO WE KNOW NOT TO DRAW A FREAKIN' WALLS? Why yes we do. But you know, they found a pen and a wall.

Fortunately I have a cleaner that took that off. Made them stand right next to me scrubbing.

What happened? Idiot me turned around again. One decided to dump a 64 oz bottle of liquid laundry detergent into the washing machine. Yes I stood over him while he scooped it all out. Until I could sop up the last bit, and now I'm running an empty cycle to clean the damn thing out!

And what do I do? Turn around and wolf down some stupid chocolate thing DH brought home. Just add that to my ass.

I have cleared out my garage about 10 times in the last several months. So that I can work out in there. FOR ME! Toy bins full of crap. They walk in, dump them out. I've walked into my immaculate garage to find my inlaws and children trashing the place. ADULTS just watching them dump everything. I feel like an org considering taking All of their toys to Goodwill. I can't stand them. They are everywhere. My parents and DH's parents will not quit buying crap. They give my kids so much that my children now throw tantrums if someone shows up without a gift, or one of the wrong color. NICE RIGHT? I'm horrified.

Well, I'd love to chat more, but they are "cleaning" up another mess. Gotta go supervise before they blow the house up with something that should not be able to do that.

Oh yeah... suggestions for out of control eating of shit when you are trying to cope. I can't seem to get any since of calm otherwise. Feel like I'm going to have a heart attack just dealing right now... I need punching bag! Might pick that up next.
    All right, I don't have kids nor am I even close to that, but I hear you where you're coming from. I'm the oldest of 4, have had to serve as the third parent many days in my life, worked a few child care jobs in my time, and I totally agree when the stress is on eating complete and utter crappy stuff is the easy way to cope. Even when I was working at the YMCA, where moving is required for that job, I still found a way to eat when I was stressed (probably because they stuck me, the fattest guy on staff, in charge of the snack room...like having access to a vault of sugary awfulness).

The best advice I can give is when you get stressed to turn that stress into something productive. Eating craptastic food is NOT productive and it took me YEARS to figure this out (I sincerely hope it doesn't take you that long). But really, it isn't, and I can't stand wasting potential productivity. One of my pet peeves is knowing that something needs to be done but finding excuses to avoid it, when, if I just did it, it'd be over with that much quicker.

So, I recommend when the two twins are causing you to go bonkers off the wall with their tactics to use that stress as a motivator to do something productive. You said you cleaned some today, that's productive (and it burns calories!) so do more of that. There's always something that needs to be cleaned, always (nothing ever stays clean for more than a few hours in my house, lol). When cleaning starts to bore you, reorganize, when that starts to bore you, make a grocery list, jot down some house projects, whatever works. Just do productive things.

Just get it in your head that eating junk isn't productive. Do this by sticking a posted note on the cabinets or fridge, writing it on your arm, however you choose. Once that sets in I think you'll find it easier to avoid the junk food binges when the twins inevitably cause a disaster.

Hope that helps.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I try to drink tea and eat chopped cabbage with coarse salt & vinegar. To be honest, despite the evilness of artificial sweeteners, diet pop and sugar-free gum... well, i dunno what's better in the end. To be artificial-free and chomp on caloric foods or satisfy cravings with non-caloric chemical-laiden treats. I just don't know.

Hang in there!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Check out GABA Calm, the kind that dissolves under the tongue. You can get them flavored (peppermint is pretty good) and some people find them to be very calming. Might try taking them during particularly stressful situations, or before, if you find that it's helpful.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast