Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emotional Eater - stress... CRAZY RANT! page 2

Bamboozel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Maybe when you are getting stressed out with the kids you should grab them and take them with you on a walk around the block or play in the park - use their energy and your energy to help work the stress out. By getting out of the house it won't just get you away from the temptation of food, but will also help the kids get rid of their evilness (heheh) for a little bit.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    So, I never considered myself an emotional eater until after I had children. I have twins. They drive me out of my mind.

I SUCK at not eating when they stress me out.
    [...]
    Well, they found a big fat black sharpie pen. I walked outside to find that one wrote his initials on the garage door. Letters about 5" big and wide. They are SEVEN... DO WE KNOW NOT TO DRAW A FREAKIN' WALLS? Why yes we do. But you know, they found a pen and a wall.

Fortunately I have a cleaner that took that off. Made them stand right next to me scrubbing.

What happened? Idiot me turned around again. One decided to dump a 64 oz bottle of liquid laundry detergent into the washing machine. [...]
    I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. How is any of this your fault? Sounds like your kids fault.

Maybe: SpankingPaddlesRUs

No one says you have to use it very often or too hard. Merely the sight of it hanging up in the kitchen will be enough to prevent future incidents like this. For me, writing on the walls is always a smacking offence, along with any deliberately destructive or dangerous act. It's all psychological. I haven't lifted my hand in anger for over a year, but the thought is there, and I've only needed to say "Do-you-want-a-smacked-bottom" two or three times since then for the worst behaviour to stop. Plus I turn a blind eye to anything non-destructive or character building, so probably there are a fewer occasions where one might resort to force than for many parents.

You aren't doing your kids any favours if you never expose them the the reality of force in the adult world. The last thing you want it for them to get away with bad behaviour at home and end up on a delinquency charge or worse when they are teenagers in a few short years.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozel View Post
    Maybe when you are getting stressed out with the kids you should grab them and take them with you on a walk around the block or play in the park - use their energy and your energy to help work the stress out. By getting out of the house it won't just get you away from the temptation of food, but will also help the kids get rid of their evilness (heheh) for a little bit.
    This is really an excellent suggestion. I think I will post some of these ideas on the fridge. That way as i start to blow it, as I'm not thinking straight, I won't need to. Just get bike and kids and go!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. How is any of this your fault? Sounds like your kids fault.

Maybe: SpankingPaddlesRUs

No one says you have to use it very often or too hard. Merely the sight of it hanging up in the kitchen will be enough to prevent future incidents like this. For me, writing on the walls is always a smacking offence, along with any deliberately destructive or dangerous act. It's all psychological. I haven't lifted my hand in anger for over a year, but the thought is there, and I've only needed to say "Do-you-want-a-smacked-bottom" two or three times since then for the worst behaviour to stop. Plus I turn a blind eye to anything non-destructive or character building, so probably there are a fewer occasions where one might resort to force than for many parents.

You aren't doing your kids any favours if you never expose them the the reality of force in the adult world. The last thing you want it for them to get away with bad behaviour at home and end up on a delinquency charge or worse when they are teenagers in a few short years.
    Yeah, if your kids are acting out, clearly the solution is to assault them with a creepy fetish toy. Who's the unruly child, now?

I haven't spoken to my family in nearly 4 years now, precisely because they found shit like this amusing. OP please consider your future relationship with your kids before you take this neanderthal's advice.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 04-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If I had used a sharpie pen on the garage door when I was a kid there would have been spankings for sure. Bare-handed and bare-bottomed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    No kids here, so take this as you will. You sounded really frustrated in your first post - hopefully that was just a bad day... but if it wasn't and this is normal behavior what have you done to curb it? Are you using the same methods you always do? I know it isn't the best analogy but the same way I bet you didn't eat primal forever and listened to "CW" for a long time on the best way to eat maybe there is some sort of "alternative" parenting you can try - go to the library and flip through books for ideas, try the web, watch that Nanny show or something... Another bad analogy - my boyfriend and I have a dog. He is less consistent than I am with training. The dog is usually more of a nuisance around him. Maybe it is time for a sit down with the inlaws and husband and have a good long talk about the importance of consistency and establish a set of ground rules - like no dumping toys in the garage

Anyway, good luck

Edit: just realized i'm being a bad adult and not addressing your actual question about eating. Here is my suggestion for that. Write down how crappy you felt the last time you ate chocolate in response to stress. Bullet out how you feel - pissed off, frustrated, disappointed, whatever. Or maybe write it in letter form to yourself. And the next time you are reaching for that chocolate read that letter. Sometimes this helps me
    Last edited by lorichka6; 05-02-2012 at 06:47 AM.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Getting active could definitely help. Essentially, do something to take you away from the food. Don't kep the garbage in the house either. If you need treats in the house for other family members, get things you don't like.
    And I get being frustrated with kids. No twins here, but an almost 2yo boy and 4yo girl and I'm a SAHM. When they start acting out and doing things you all know they shouldn't do, try to find a reason. Are they bored? Are they looking for attention? Nice job with the "natural consequences" - you mess it up, you clean it up. We all have bad days, so hopefully things are looking up now.
    I get it with the toys too. My kids already have SO many toys and I can't come up with anything to get my almost 2yo for his birthday this month. We will be having a garage sale next month. Have the kids help you go through their toys and donate them. Try "hiding" toys by putting them out of sight for a while. If it isn't asked for after 3/6 months, then donate it.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primalize your pantry and consider eating in a window, gives structure to your daily eating:
    The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com

Michi is offline Junior Member
    No kids myself either, so I don't blame you in the least for taking this with a boulder of salt. I think the punching bag honestly sounds like a great idea. Work out some tension and get the heart rate up in a good way at the same time. Also, wondering if maybe you could be suffering from a bit of a hormonal imbalance? Pregnancy and birth do such crazy things to a woman's body. I stress eat only just before that lovely time of month and I've found what works best for me is a glass of water, hopefully an opportunity to go outside, and yes, maybe a little chocolate. Never feel guilty about the chocolate in my book

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like your twins have a huge amount of energy not being let out in a healthy way. Do you have them in sports or some other kind of extra-curricular activity? Maybe if they like drawing on the walls buy some chalk and get them to draw on the concrete/asphalt driveway (presuming you have one)? As for the binge eating all I can suggest is substituting healthy things in the cupboards and fridge instead of cookies/chocolate cake that your husband seems to lovingly provide thinking its something you want. Have a talk with him about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12