Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I want to quit coffee, but I also don't want to quit coffee page 7

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    And I'm taking your stapler

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I find it interesting how people become so defensive about their coffee and try to defend the health claims, I think if you pushed Mark for a definitive response he would have to concede that it was in the 20% not 80%, the cons would definitely outweigh the pro's.
    Outside of the pleasure of the addiction, coffee is a performance enhancing tool and every time Mark has mentioned it he follows that with the statement to get out there and burn off the fatty acids released and utilise the adrenaline buzz and how many people actually do, typing frantically on the keyboard, like I do as I sip my coffee doesn't really count.
    If you enjoy it, then enjoy it, but don't try to delude yourself that it is the healthy alternative.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I think the key word there is "addiction".
    If you are addicted to anything there is a problem.
    If you drink it because you enjoy the flavor... what is the issue?

I get no adrenaline buzz from a single cup, and I don't have any symptoms of withdrawal if I skip several days... even a week or two.
    I simply enjoy the flavor, and do that in moderation.

*shrug*
    YMMV and all that.

There have been studies that show actual health benefits to drinking coffee.
    I don't dismiss those out of hand.
    And as far as the chocolate drinks that are replacing coffee... that's just replacing caffeine with theobromine for a similar "feel good" hit. I only wish I could participate!
    And tea... caffeine, same thing as coffee. Also with plenty of studies showing the benefits of it's use... particularly oolongs, greens, and whites.
    (I can't drink these anymore either... causing much sadness on my part. Not because of addiction here either, but because of the many years I have spent enjoying them... I miss them. I miss the ritual, the smells, the warmth, the tastes.)

So, basically, unless you are drinking nothing but pure clean water all the time... whatever.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Last April I quit drinking coffee cold turkey. Managed to stay caffiene free for three months and then realized that it wasn't the coffee so much that I missed, but having some warm beverage in my favorite mug. Kind of weird, I know, but I love my mugs! So, it is just a cup a day so I can handle my mug addiction
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I get no adrenaline buzz from a single cup, and I don't have any symptoms of withdrawal if I skip several days... even a week or two.
    I simply enjoy the flavor, and do that in moderation.
    x2

I will add that when you're exhausted you should take it easy. Your body does not actually become ready for stress when you drink caffeine, you just feel like it does. For this reason, I avoid caffeine when I'm already worn out.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't think I drink it for the energy. I mostly drink it for the ritual and the mental clarity. Something about caffeine and computer programming seem to go together. But I only drink at most 2 mugs of coffee.

On the topic of adrenal fatigue, if you are a relative coffee lightweight, might adrenal fatigue be a greater issue with overtraining, too much exercise? I sometimes think that people do a whole lot less of the "slow moving" than they think they do, pushing themselves too hard. And then I read about people doing cross-fit practically every day plus weight lifting several times a week. I should think that level of exercise is just going to kill you eventually. Even what I do when I think I'm being especially virtuous exercise-wise is too much. Like when I bike to work AND run at lunch and do that several times a week plus core fitness plus a super strenuous hike. That's really too much. I know that Mark recommends tons of exercise, but I honestly think he recommends too much exercise, or at least that when people do the slow moving aspect of it, they aren't doing it slow enough.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    I usually drink 1 cup a day, just for enjoyment. 1 cup has no effect but I sometimes feel quite tired/drowsy when I have more so try to avoid it.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Last April I quit drinking coffee cold turkey. Managed to stay caffiene free for three months and then realized that it wasn't the coffee so much that I missed, but having some warm beverage in my favorite mug. Kind of weird, I know, but I love my mugs! So, it is just a cup a day so I can handle my mug addiction
    You could do what the Chinese do and drink hot or warm water from your mug.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    x2

I will add that when you're exhausted you should take it easy. Your body does not actually become ready for stress when you drink caffeine, you just feel like it does. For this reason, I avoid caffeine when I'm already worn out.
    x3

I used to think I was addicted to coffee because I'd drink about 16 ounces every weekday morning; however, if I skip a day, I don't show signs of withdrawl. I don't crave it like an addict. On the weekends, I rarely drink coffee at all and don't feel the need to.

Back in January I even decided to go coffee-free for as long as I could... but I found it too easy! It just wasn't a big deal to not drink the stuff!

I enjoy the taste of coffee. It hasn't stunted my growth, screwed up my stomach, or stained my teeth. (To the latter point, my dentists have always said how impressed they are that I have such white teeth, given how much coffee I drink during the week! Tip: I was told that I protect my teeth well because I brush my teeth before I drink my coffee. The plaque stuff that is on your teeth in the morning actually holds onto dyes, so if you drink coffee before you brush that gunk away, it will stain your teeth more. Also, when you brush your teeth, the toothpaste puts a protective film on your teeth which, although it doesn't stay on them forever, will help protect your teeth from staining.)

Anyway, there was a Robb Wolf blog post recently that is on this topic that I found interesting: Hey Perky! Let
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Congrats dude....and yeah, might gotta change your avitar. You got that "yeaaaah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and move your desk into the basement....yeaaaaah" look
    i was psyched! OMG coffee! let's do everything right at the same exact time! twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, Jakey you've got that, "Just try to take this coffee away from me. I dare ya." look.
    it was my favorite crutch. RIP crutches - mine & everyone else's!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567