Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I want to quit coffee, but I also don't want to quit coffee page 6

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Coffee is a processed food.

Caffeine is a psychoactive drug with metabolic consequences.

It simply has no place in a "primal" diet.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post

You should probably get a message to Mark Sisson about that ASAP!
    He drinks coffee you know.

And while you're at it with your "psychoactive" drugs... don't drink tea or eat chocolate either, or have an occasional alcoholic beverage (also approved "Primal" foods).
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Emseven is offline Member
    I know how you feel. I don't drink a lot of coffee--two cups a day, max (or one double-shot espresso drink). But I am a wreck without it. Cranky to the point of nasty. That makes me think I should at least try to give it up, just to see how I feel. And then to see how I feel when I reintroduce it. But man, I love my cup of coffee. I think it might just have to be one of my sensible vices.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I drink a couple cups a day, but I actually feel quite good when I abstain for a while. The thing is I just really really like it......what a dilemma.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    this saturday (9/15), will make 1 month absolutely caffeine free for me! i never thought that would be the case... amazing. i scoffed at the idea for so long, but honestly, it's great. mind you, my habit was out of control, i'm sure you can use caffeine more responsibly, but for me, it's been simply fantastic cutting it out - even energy levels throughout the day, never groggy when i wake up, power naps are easy.

horrible, terrible headaches for three days though on the front end...

*edited to note that my avatar pic still shows me holding a cup of coffee. LOLZ.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deedub View Post
    coffee is a processed food.

fail
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    TFC and I both agree with you but have found it to be a VERY hard sell around here.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    this saturday (9/15), will make 1 month absolutely caffeine free for me! i never thought that would be the case... amazing. i scoffed at the idea for so long, but honestly, it's great. mind you, my habit was out of control, i'm sure you can use caffeine more responsibly, but for me, it's been simply fantastic cutting it out - even energy levels throughout the day, never groggy when i wake up, power naps are easy.

*edited to note that my avatar pic still shows me holding a cup of coffee. LOLZ.
    No wonder you've been so cranky lately.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    You should probably get a message to Mark Sisson about that ASAP!
    He drinks coffee you know.

And while you're at it with your "psychoactive" drugs... don't drink tea or eat chocolate either, or have an occasional alcoholic beverage (also approved "Primal" foods).
    Mark specifically says that coffee is OK as long as it does not become an energy crutch. How many of the coffee drinkers around here can honestly say they don't use their joe for energy?

Energy should come from a good nights sleep and good primal food.

I would say the test is to see if you can go 48 hours caffeine free with no headaches, tiredness, crankiness, etc. If so, carry on, it's just a beverage. But, be honest, if you *need* it in the morning, it's probably messing with your whole body in ways that are going to come back to bite you eventually.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I agree...

I drink one cup, 5-6 days a week.
    Some special occasions I might have a couple of cups of really good fresh espresso... Like when I'm AT the small company that roasts my beans on premises.

But I don't feel like I need it to function on days I don't drink it.
    Or that I get a huge energy burst from it.
    I just really, really, really love the taste of it.

And, honestly...
    It's the LAST yummy treat acceptable thing I have. LOL.
    Since I can't have chocolate anymore.

It's like the cigar thread.
    You use thing as a pleasurable enjoyment, DON'T let it use you.
    Same with Tea, Chocolate and Chocolate DRINKS,and Alcohol.
    (None of which I'm able to indulge in you know.)
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post

Congrats dude....and yeah, might gotta change your avitar. You got that "yeaaaah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and move your desk into the basement....yeaaaaah" look

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Congrats dude....and yeah, might gotta change your avitar. You got that "yeaaaah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and move your desk into the basement....yeaaaaah" look
    Yeah, Jakey you've got that, "Just try to take this coffee away from me. I dare ya." look.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast