Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to quit coffee, but I also don't want to quit coffee page 4

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    My view is that there is only so much food that can go into one's body every day. Diet is about optimizing one's nutritional opportunities. Coffee is a hot drink. Hot drinks are comforting and desirable. But I think it is highly advantageous to one's health to substitute herbal teas for coffee. I drink a variety of herbals teas and probably ingest at least 20 to 30 different varieties of plants each week. When I used to drink coffee, I drank only one plant a week - coffee. We are omnivores, not monovores.

I don't think coffee is unhealthy, I just don't think it's an optimal food. I also don't eat grains, and not because chemists say they have lectins or other anti-nutrients they managed to isolate in a test tube. I don't eat them because they are not optimal foods. They are calorie rich and nutrient poor. I prefer to eat instead liver and bone broth from pastured animals. These are nutritionally dense foods. I think it's important to make these kinds of substitutions.

The only BIG problem with coffee is that it is addictive. People rave about the taste, but I know that it's just the caffeine talking. Most won't admit it, but they feel bad when the DON"T drink coffee. This is a drug addiction. I don't like being addicted to drugs and that's why I don't drink coffee.
    I still think you underestimate the potential for coffee and what the bean has to offer. I agree that it can be highly addictive, but for those that drink it in moderation, and most people i know do, the benefits likely far far outweigh any risks(which may be zero at a cup a day). On the other hand, I know people that drink iced tea all day long and can't seem to go without it. If you are consuming tea a lot, and the caffeine in tea is keeping you going, then isn't it safe to say you easily could be addicted to tea. By "you" I don't really mean you

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    I still think you underestimate the potential for coffee and what the bean has to offer. I agree that it can be highly addictive, but for those that drink it in moderation, and most people i know do, the benefits likely far far outweigh any risks(which may be zero at a cup a day). On the other hand, I know people that drink iced tea all day long and can't seem to go without it. If you are consuming tea a lot, and the caffeine in tea is keeping you going, then isn't it safe to say you easily could be addicted to tea. By "you" I don't really mean you
    I don't drink caffeinated teas, but I appreciate the conversation. One thing I do advise to new primal dieters. If you are cutting added sugar and rice, bread, pasta, baked goods etc from your diet, by all means do not choose this time to give up coffee. Drink coffee as long as you like. You can only deprive yourself of so much. Only when you've completely adjusted to a sugar free, grain free diet would I advise someone to examine their use of coffee, consider if they are addicted or not, and consider a change to non-caffeinated herbal teas as a way to 1) upgrade their nutrition 2) avoid drug addiction.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I am seriously addicted to coffee/and or cream.
    Dairy is not good for me, it bloats me and makes me feel like shit. Coffee turns me into a nasty bitch.
    I gave it up for about 5 weeks and lost 13 cm from my waist and felt really good. I don't know why I started again, but I know I need to stop. I must have rocks in my head to keep going back to it

patski is offline Senior Member
    Ayla, your line about 'coffee turns me into a nasty bitch' made me literally LOL

Coffee is hard to kick, but once you do it, it's a huge relief! It does take some time however. Stick to your guns!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

It really does. When I don't drink it I am much calmer and don't lose patience with my boys.
    This is really stressing me out, why does it need to be so hard. Its the one thing that affects me the most, so it should be easy to quit according to my husband.
    It was easy to drop the grains and crap food, but why not the coffee/cream?
    I have had bp coffee for a while, and its the same thing, bloating etc. So its gotta be dairy and coffee. I can cook or add butter to my food and thats OK though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    It really does. When I don't drink it I am much calmer and don't lose patience with my boys.
    This is really stressing me out, why does it need to be so hard. Its the one thing that affects me the most, so it should be easy to quit according to my husband.
    It was easy to drop the grains and crap food, but why not the coffee/cream?
    I have had bp coffee for a while, and its the same thing, bloating etc. So its gotta be dairy and coffee. I can cook or add butter to my food and thats OK though.
    Like your handle. Love the Jean Auel books. I recently re read the entire series from the beginning.

Here's my method to kick coffee, in case you didn't see it earlier in the thread:

Switch to instant
    Buy one jar of regular and one jar of decaf
    Start mixing in a small amount of decaf in the the real stuff.
    Slowly increase decaf every day unitl you are drinking all decaf, how slowly and how long you take is up to you.
    Start mixing in Teccino (Whole Foods) with your decaf, slowly and gradually just like you did before with the real coffee
    Finally you are drinking all Tecinno.
    Start drinking a cup of herbal tea later in the day after your Tecinno.
    Gradually shift to herbal tea.

I used to have terrible withdrawal symptoms from caffeine, splitting headaches, extreme lethargy, twitching eyelids, but the worst was depression.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Coffee is hard to kick, but once you do it, it's a huge relief! It does take some time however. Stick to your guns!
    I second all of that. Didn't realize how deeply the hooks had sunk in until I had to give it up.

Anything that causes withdrawal symptoms the way coffee does has to have some real downsides to continued consumption. It's worth keeping in mind that caffeine is a psycho-active drug and, IMO, should be approached with the same caution/respect as other major drugs.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 04-15-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Instant coffee? Blergh, I can't think of anything worse LOL
    Cold turkey is going to be the only way this will work. Just going to update my journal with my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Instant coffee? Blergh, I can't think of anything worse LOL
    Cold turkey is going to be the only way this will work. Just going to update my journal with my plans.
    Well you could brew up on pot of regular and one pot of decaf and mix them. Instant is just easier. I went cold turkey. Once I got all the caffeine out of my system, I still have the occasional decaf. No more than once a week and decaf only. The only time I drink caffeinated is if I have to drive a long way in a car, or if I have something important to do and didn't have enough sleep.

I may try that if need be, but I did just throw out all the coffee in the house, and the cream.I have to do it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast