Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to quit coffee, but I also don't want to quit coffee page 3

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    I think studies are great, but there are many fundamental problems with all of them.

1) They can be very biased and skewed toward a special interest i.e. was the study funded by the coffee industry, does the researcher derive "consulting" income from an interested commercial party? etc.

2) By their nature they are narrowly focussed on singular inputs or factors and many times have no interest in the bigger picture i.e. red wine may reduce heart disease, who cares if you die of alchoholism.

3) Different studies contradict each other all the time.

I'm not saying no one should conduct studies or that we shouldn't read them. I'm just saying you need to be careful basing your behavior on the basis of a study. If you do, you should at least read the study itself and know a lot about the people who conducted and funded the study. Reporting done by mainstream media outlets like MSNBC is extremely suspect.

See my post here;

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51446.html
    Your number two is not a very good point. Red wine is recommended at just one glass, maybe two.

Actually, you should pay attention to studies, especially if studies are done as they should be, and continue to back up findings of previous studies.

I'm pretty sure Mark has cited studies backing up the potential benefits of drinking coffee in moderation. Do you trust him? Or is he just another part of the bullshit media spinning things the way he wants to?
    Last edited by morganpmiller; 04-14-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You will have to peel my reusable coffee mug from my cold, dead hands. I ain't giving that shit up, insomnia be damned.

Has the OP tried switching to a decaf for the ritual of drinking coffee then having a milder caffeine source like tea or Yerba mate for energy?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    Your number two is not a very good point. Red wine is recommended at just one glass, maybe two.

Actually, you should pay attention to studies, especially if studies are done as they should be, and continue to back up findings of previous studies.

I'm pretty sure Mark has cited studies backing up the potential benefits of drinking coffee in moderation. Do you trust him? Or is he just another part of the bullshit media spinning things the way he wants to?
    You weren't disputing my second point. You disputed the example I gave.

I also said that people should pay attention to studies. My point is they should pay MUCH more attention to them i.e. their context.

Finally, I think too many health journalists, including Mark, support their arguments with studies too flippantly. I think every reference to a study should include a footnote with a link to the entire study, along with background information concerning the origin of the funding of the study. I think this should be required information contained in any study. See my post here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52535.html

patski is offline Senior Member
    Yerba mate is awesome stuff! It's what got me off and kept me off coffee for 6 months straight
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Yerba mate is awesome stuff! It's what got me off and kept me off coffee for 6 months straight
    Yerba mate kept me happy in Chile when the only coffee available was some disgusting instant crap. That morning hot and bitter taste reminded me of home. But I learned quickly to drink it with the special cup the Argentinians used-- swallowing the barky pieces will shred your intestines from the inside out.

Unless I'm stranded in a foreign country with instant granules, no one is separating me from my coffee either. And I think next time I travel abroad, I'm bringing a french press.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I started drinking coffee again after a 6 month hiatus.

What's REALLY awesome (and this will NOT help you quit) is mixing about 1/4 cup (probably less, but I eyeball everything) coconut milk, with a healthy scoop of raw cacao (maybe .5 tablespoon), and a scant amount of raw honey (half teaspoon?). Mix this all together and add to your morning brew.

OMG AWESOME!
    OMG you're right!
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I was drinking one cup a day of half caff, but I decided to give it up as part of working towards better quality sleep. I always slept well compared to my husband, but I'm realizing that if my circadian rhythms are good, I feel better.

I also had been adding a tablespoon of sour cherry juice concentrate to my morning smoothie until I learned that is a natural source of melatonin. So more recently I moved that to evening (to sweeten my fruit and dairy bedtime snack).

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    I was drinking one cup a day of half caff, but I decided to give it up as part of working towards better quality sleep. I always slept well compared to my husband, but I'm realizing that if my circadian rhythms are good, I feel better.

I also had been adding a tablespoon of sour cherry juice concentrate to my morning smoothie until I learned that is a natural source of melatonin. So more recently I moved that to evening (to sweeten my fruit and dairy bedtime snack).
    i did not know cherry juice was a natural source of melatonin. have you noticed it helping you sleep? my husband takes 1-3 *units of measure- not sure what they are* per day of melatonin, which is like 3 of the small pills from GNC. he says sometimes they help him sleep. i would be curious, if cherry had the same effect, that might be a better product for him?
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    You weren't disputing my second point. You disputed the example I gave.

I also said that people should pay attention to studies. My point is they should pay MUCH more attention to them i.e. their context.

Finally, I think too many health journalists, including Mark, support their arguments with studies too flippantly. I think every reference to a study should include a footnote with a link to the entire study, along with background information concerning the origin of the funding of the study. I think this should be required information contained in any study. See my post here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52535.html
    Well, we can agree to disagree. All I can say is it would be a bit silly to always carry such skepticism towards quality unbiased research. I do believe we have to look at everything with a critical eye, however, this can be done, in order to weed out the bad and focus on the good, so that we can come away with something empowering and useful.

If coffee were bad, so much of the population that drinks it would not be living such healthy long lives. Everything in moderation. I can almost guarantee, as we continue to unravel more and more about drinking a cup of joe and a glass of red wine a day, we will find out the benefits far outweight the risks.

You do realize coffee has several compounds that are known to be potent antioxidants, including chlorogenic acids and polyphenols.

I'm just curious as to why seem to be so opposed to the idea that coffee is healthy. I can't really drink it regularly, it's bad for me in several ways, but I believe that it is probably healthy for most of the population that drinks it in moderation. My father drinks it, and I'm glad he does.

In order for coffee to really be healthy, it should be from freshly ground beans of good quality, and should be drand fairly soon after brewing.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    Well, we can agree to disagree. All I can say is it would be a bit silly to always carry such skepticism towards quality unbiased research. I do believe we have to look at everything with a critical eye, however, this can be done, in order to weed out the bad and focus on the good, so that we can come away with something empowering and useful.

If coffee were bad, so much of the population that drinks it would not be living such healthy long lives. Everything in moderation. I can almost guarantee, as we continue to unravel more and more about drinking a cup of joe and a glass of red wine a day, we will find out the benefits far outweight the risks.

You do realize coffee has several compounds that are known to be potent antioxidants, including chlorogenic acids and polyphenols.

I'm just curious as to why seem to be so opposed to the idea that coffee is healthy. I can't really drink it regularly, it's bad for me in several ways, but I believe that it is probably healthy for most of the population that drinks it in moderation. My father drinks it, and I'm glad he does.

In order for coffee to really be healthy, it should be from freshly ground beans of good quality, and should be drand fairly soon after brewing.
    My view is that there is only so much food that can go into one's body every day. Diet is about optimizing one's nutritional opportunities. Coffee is a hot drink. Hot drinks are comforting and desirable. But I think it is highly advantageous to one's health to substitute herbal teas for coffee. I drink a variety of herbals teas and probably ingest at least 20 to 30 different varieties of plants each week. When I used to drink coffee, I drank only one plant a week - coffee. We are omnivores, not monovores.

I don't think coffee is unhealthy, I just don't think it's an optimal food. I also don't eat grains, and not because chemists say they have lectins or other anti-nutrients they managed to isolate in a test tube. I don't eat them because they are not optimal foods. They are calorie rich and nutrient poor. I prefer to eat instead liver and bone broth from pastured animals. These are nutritionally dense foods. I think it's important to make these kinds of substitutions.

The only BIG problem with coffee is that it is addictive. People rave about the taste, but I know that it's just the caffeine talking. Most won't admit it, but they feel bad when the DON"T drink coffee. This is a drug addiction. I don't like being addicted to drugs and that's why I don't drink coffee.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast