Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to quit coffee, but I also don't want to quit coffee page 2

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I know exactly how you feel! I have quit coffee but I always go back to it. When I was off coffee last time, I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I noticed I always felt really great the day I left a resupply town. Invariably I had a big breakfast in a little diner before I hit the trail again. I totally attributed it to the pancake sandwiches I would usually order. Then one day I acquired some chocolate covered espresso beans and got the same revved up, I feel Great, I'm Super Woman!!! feeling. I realized it wasn't the big breakfasts, it was the coffee. After that, I realized quitting coffee is both good and bad. Good because when you have some caffeine it really works on you and feels incredible. Bad because then you don't get that good feeling every day.
    What was wrong with the good feeling? Were you crashing later? Did it eventually throw of mood? Just curious

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with feeling good. I like it. It's just that if you quit coffee but have it infrequently, when you do have it, it really revs you up and makes you feel amazing. If you have it every day, you don't feel it quite so much. You get used to it. If you quit entirely, then you never get to have that feeling. The trick is to quit but not quit. I haven't figured out how to do that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Nothing wrong with feeling good. I like it. It's just that if you quit coffee but have it infrequently, when you do have it, it really revs you up and makes you feel amazing. If you have it every day, you don't feel it quite so much. You get used to it. If you quit entirely, then you never get to have that feeling. The trick is to quit but not quit. I haven't figured out how to do that.
    I think 3 or 4 cups of FRESHLY ground and brewed coffee have plenty of health benefits that make it well worth consuming.

I hear ya on finding the balance. Speaking of balance, I need to get away from this computer, phone and tv and get out and do something fun!

Anyone a Washington Capitals fan? Go Caps!!!!

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    I too think one cup of organic coffee, freshly ground, made with filtered water and using an unbleached filter..... Can you tell the ritual in the morning is nearly as important as as the coffee. The smell makes me happy - that is an anti-stress start to my day.
    PB led me to change many things about the way I eat, drink, play and sleep - I'm not sure if coffee will ever be one of those.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    I think 3 or 4 cups of FRESHLY ground and brewed coffee have plenty of health benefits that make it well worth consuming.

I hear ya on finding the balance. Speaking of balance, I need to get away from this computer, phone and tv and get out and do something fun!

Anyone a Washington Capitals fan? Go Caps!!!!
    I agree. Coffee won't kill you. It may even have some net health benefits.

However, I thought the OP was having a problem with a caffeine addiction. My advice is for people who are addicted to caffeine.

I got the monkey off my back several years ago. I have replaced it with a wide variety of herbal teas, which obviously have multiple, multiple, mulitple more health benefits than the monoherb coffee without any of the side effects.

But if you love coffee that much, go for it. Just make sure it's not the caffeine talking. I don't think it's ever good to eat something that takes control of you.

Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    I agree. Coffee won't kill you. It may even have some net health benefits.

However, I thought the OP was having a problem with a caffeine addiction. My advice is for people who are addicted to caffeine.

I got the monkey off my back several years ago. I have replaced it with a wide variety of herbal teas, which obviously have multiple, multiple, mulitple more health benefits than the monoherb coffee without any of the side effects.

But if you love coffee that much, go for it. Just make sure it's not the caffeine talking. I don't think it's ever good to eat something that takes control of you.
    It goes beyod coffee just not killiing us, it might help to extend many of our lives. Maybe you have not read recent studies. It's turning out that coffee probably has just as many health benefits as tea.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...z9JtYax3P6E_HA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KAxDUskDoSs98w

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IxEb_7EsAXPHBw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RqDZH-fZak7DWA

I got the impression the OP doesn't realize the health benefits and thinks coffee in general is bad for health. I was wondering if the OP knows that coffee throws of their mood, energy, and functionality. If this is true, they should definitely quit. It appeared that they might just suspect coffee does these things, without knowing for sure.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I started drinking coffee again after a 6 month hiatus.

What's REALLY awesome (and this will NOT help you quit) is mixing about 1/4 cup (probably less, but I eyeball everything) coconut milk, with a healthy scoop of raw cacao (maybe .5 tablespoon), and a scant amount of raw honey (half teaspoon?). Mix this all together and add to your morning brew.

OMG AWESOME!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    It goes beyod coffee just not killiing us, it might help to extend many of our lives. Maybe you have not read recent studies. It's turning out that coffee probably has just as many health benefits as tea.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...z9JtYax3P6E_HA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KAxDUskDoSs98w

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IxEb_7EsAXPHBw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RqDZH-fZak7DWA

I got the impression the OP doesn't realize the health benefits and thinks coffee in general is bad for health. I was wondering if the OP knows that coffee throws of their mood, energy, and functionality. If this is true, they should definitely quit. It appeared that they might just suspect coffee does these things, without knowing for sure.
    I think studies are great, but there are many fundamental problems with all of them.

1) They can be very biased and skewed toward a special interest i.e. was the study funded by the coffee industry, does the researcher derive "consulting" income from an interested commercial party? etc.

2) By their nature they are narrowly focussed on singular inputs or factors and many times have no interest in the bigger picture i.e. red wine may reduce heart disease, who cares if you die of alchoholism.

3) Different studies contradict each other all the time.

I'm not saying no one should conduct studies or that we shouldn't read them. I'm just saying you need to be careful basing your behavior on the basis of a study. If you do, you should at least read the study itself and know a lot about the people who conducted and funded the study. Reporting done by mainstream media outlets like MSNBC is extremely suspect.

See my post here;

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51446.html
    Last edited by dbalch; 04-14-2012 at 06:55 PM.

bluepelican is offline Member
    I decided to give up caffeine a few years ago because I didn't like the fact that it had become an addiction. If I didn't get my coffee in the morning, I would end up with a monstrous headache by early afternoon. It took me a couple months to wean myself off of it and now I strictly drink decaf. However, I still love coffee and am more of a coffee geek than I ever was when I was drinking regular coffee. I still get jealous of the fact that people can have a cup of coffee to get an instant pick me up, which is something I can't do, but it's worth not having to worry about caffeine withdrawals.

Quote Originally Posted by bluepelican View Post
    I decided to give up caffeine a few years ago because I didn't like the fact that it had become an addiction. If I didn't get my coffee in the morning, I would end up with a monstrous headache by early afternoon. It took me a couple months to wean myself off of it and now I strictly drink decaf. However, I still love coffee and am more of a coffee geek than I ever was when I was drinking regular coffee. I still get jealous of the fact that people can have a cup of coffee to get an instant pick me up, which is something I can't do, but it's worth not having to worry about caffeine withdrawals.
    That's a great reason to give up coffee. I need to stay away for the most part for similar physiological sensitivities.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast