Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver - How to explain why its healthy page

Duckmanfoo is offline Junior Member

Liver - How to explain why its healthy

Primal Fuel
    I am trying to "pay it forward" and talk about liver, be it beef or cod, to others about the great nutrition tied to organ meat.
    How do I explain liver being so good and nutritious when it is known as the "filter" in an animal and is thought of as being full of whatever "junk" is filtered out of the animal in question...

Thanks of any input..

D

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    its a biochemical filter......not a strainer.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckmanfoo View Post
    I am trying to "pay it forward" and talk about liver, be it beef or cod, to others about the great nutrition tied to organ meat.
    How do I explain liver being so good and nutritious when it is known as the "filter" in an animal and is thought of as being full of whatever "junk" is filtered out of the animal in question...

Thanks of any input..

D
    Ive always thought about this too! I often wonder why organic liver and kidney is never in supermarkets even though organic meats are!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    The stuff that is filtered out by the liver is not stored in the liver. It is either excreted or stored in fat.

The coolest thing I have read about liver was a study done on rats. Rats were given normal rat food, rat food supplemented with all the B vitamins found in liver, or rat food plus actual liver (isolcaloric). The stamina of the rats was then tested by seeing how long they could swim. The rats given the food or food plus vitamins swam around 13 minutes. The rats fed the liver were able to swim at least an hour. Some were still swimming 2 hours later when they ended the study! Amazing stuff - at least for rats

The Anti-Fatigue Value of Liver
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    Ive always thought about this too! I often wonder why organic liver and kidney is never in supermarkets even though organic meats are!
    Because it is nasty....

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I've seen it here, surprised they don't have it over there. It's sometimes already frozen, so maybe check there or ask the butcher.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Both of these posts make the point that liver is about as nutrient-dense as it gets:

Nutrition Density Challenge: Fruit vs. Beef Liver | Free The Animal
    Liver: nature's most potent superfood

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Both of these posts make the point that liver is about as nutrient-dense as it gets:

Nutrition Density Challenge: Fruit vs. Beef Liver | Free The Animal
    Liver: nature's most potent superfood
    Great posts. Thanks.

I hate liver but force myself to eat it anyway or take the liver pills. This looks worthy of a try though...

Beef and Chicken Liver PÔtÚ | Free The Animal
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    The stuff that is filtered out by the liver is not stored in the liver. It is either excreted or stored in fat.

The coolest thing I have read about liver was a study done on rats. Rats were given normal rat food, rat food supplemented with all the B vitamins found in liver, or rat food plus actual liver (isolcaloric). The stamina of the rats was then tested by seeing how long they could swim. The rats given the food or food plus vitamins swam around 13 minutes. The rats fed the liver were able to swim at least an hour. Some were still swimming 2 hours later when they ended the study! Amazing stuff - at least for rats

The Anti-Fatigue Value of Liver
    Thanks for pointing out that study. I know it's anecdotal, but I had a friend give me a pound of bison liver, which I cooked up and ate at lunchtime at work throughout a week. Even after doing my normal reps, I decided I felt too good not to go for a personal record, which I did by 40 pounds. I wondered at the time if the liver played a part, and now I'm somewhat convinced.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Liver and other organ meats have so many nutrients which plain muscle meat doesn't contain... It's the best available source (and easiest absorbable to humans) of all the important B-vitamins (especially B12), copper, vitamin A, C, D, iron and trace minerals.
    Eating plain meat without ever eating organs is like eating the proteinrich egg whites but leaving out the healthy yolk!

I also wonder why organic organs are so seldom in the stores here - even in the freezer section. Maybe because they use it all for liver patÚs, which we actually eat a lot in Denmark (on bread). I have no idea, but maybe also because not enough people would buy it?
    Last edited by ToldUzo; 04-15-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast