Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liver - How to explain why its healthy page 2

Duckmanfoo is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the follow up!!!

Biochemcial filter, not a strainer....

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    Is regular liver acceptable? I buy the skylark brand which I'm pretty sure is conventional. I have 4oz 3-4 days a week.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Rabbit liver... pretty much the be all and end all of teh NOM!

I just wish I had access to MORE of it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    Is regular liver acceptable? I buy the skylark brand which I'm pretty sure is conventional. I have 4oz 3-4 days a week.
    You should do whatever you can not to eat meat products that come from the industrial food chain/feedlot system. That includes almost all store bought beef, pork and chicken. Check out westonprice.org or eatwild.com for a local farmer near you.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    It might be a bit much given the high Vit A content but I figure if you're coming from years of deficiency you could probably eat that amount for awhile before you start getting too much. You may want to taper it back to just 1-2 servings of liver over time. I go in spurts where I'll eat it once a week or every other week and then I'll just crave it and go nuts and eat a pound in a few days.

I know everyone suggests getting grass fed beef but that isn't always feasible. I split the difference and eat calf liver mostly. I figure they haven't been alive long enough to build up much toxins and what not like adult cattle.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckmanfoo View Post
    I am trying to "pay it forward" and talk about liver, be it beef or cod, to others about the great nutrition tied to organ meat.
    How do I explain liver being so good and nutritious when it is known as the "filter" in an animal and is thought of as being full of whatever "junk" is filtered out of the animal in question...

Thanks of any input..

D
    It's not like a mesh filter where the bad stuff sits in it. Studies have shown liver contains virtually no more toxins than muscle meat (it is statistically significant but ultimately so low it's like freaking out over half a teaspoon of sugar) - it may filter out chemicals, but toxins are pretty much evenly dispersed throughout the entire animal. What the liver is rich in is vitamins and minerals. It's known as "nature's multivitamin" because it's just about the most nutrient dense natural food you can possibly eat.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Rabbit liver... pretty much the be all and end all of teh NOM!

I just wish I had access to MORE of it.
    this! i only get it when i can get undressed rabbits. sadly, i can't even find THOSE around here...

for something that literally "reproduces like bunnies" there is a severe dearth of rabbit meat around these parts.

if anyone on long island has access to rabbit meat/ RABBIT liver, i'm willing to make a pretty hearty trek and purchase a good bit of it, it's so great!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do animals make vitamin A in a way that humans can't?

If the animal was raised on grain, would it still have as much vitamin A?

I'm thinking of the carotenoids or whatver they're called that grass has, and I assume grains wouldn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12