Thread: Carb blues? page

PhoenixRising is offline Junior Member

Carb blues?

Shop Now
    hi,

Any input/experience from those who have experienced this malady? Now a few weeks into Primal eating, I'm noticing some highs/lows.

I totally (cold turkey) eliminated grains, sugars, etcc from my intake. Overall feeling excellent but certains times of certain days....the brakes go on

thx

k

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you are not obese or diabetic, there is no reason to eliminate unrefined sugar from your diet. No reason at all.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
    hi,

Any input/experience from those who have experienced this malady? Now a few weeks into Primal eating, I'm noticing some highs/lows.

I totally (cold turkey) eliminated grains, sugars, etcc from my intake. Overall feeling excellent but certains times of certain days....the brakes go on

thx

k
    Try taking magnesium and potassium supplements (maybe calcium, too) and liberally salt your food with sea salt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I get carb blues when I eat too many carbs also. Drink some bone broth. It has all the goodies.

AngloPaleo is offline Member
    Take it slow and experiment. Have a sweet potato (or half) when you're feeling low, or eat more fruit (not as a stand-alone snack but within meals, along protein and fat to avoid sugar crash). Or just eat more - it seems many people eat too little when they start primal. See how you feel. Just don't use 'experimenting' as an excuse to eat grains or drizzle honey on everything, because that would be BS.

Going very low carb is not essential; it depends on your goals and personal context. If you know you have a serious carb addiction and that eating them will make you binge, it is probably wise to go cold turkey for a few weeks. Same if you want fast weight loss or you have a medical condition you want to improve. Otherwise, play around with it and see how your body responds.

And yeah, I've had bout of carb blues like you, when I was feeling generally very well. I did what I suggested above, having a small sweet potato a couple of times a week and tracking my calories for a couple of weeks - found out I was eating too little and added more of everything. Eating tons of veg (especially onion, carrots and brussel sprouts) also increased my carb intake to a more comfortable level, while still low and under control.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Have some carbs.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yes starch is your friend, in moderation.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

PhoenixRising is offline Junior Member
    graci' to all, shall take the above under advisement and implement.

k