Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor says I'm too skinny page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Doctor says I'm too skinny

Primal Fuel
    Yesterday I went to the doctor for a skin problem (which I hope isn't diet realted). I took off my shirt and after about a minute of checking out my skin he said "I think you're very skinny". So he asked me questions about whether I feel hungry during the day etc. and if I ate enough. All I said was that I basically don't eat unhealthy crap. He gave a paper (I don't know what it's called) so I could get my blood tested for vitamin deficiencies etc. if I wanted. Which I'm gonna do because a blood test won't harm me anyway. However, I wish i had asked the doctor what he actually meant by being too skinny. I do not know if he meant like too little muscle or a too low body fat %. CAN your body fat % actually be too low (assuming you're not a walking skeleton)?

My main question is, what did he mean by being too skinny you think?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    he probably meant you look like a holocaust victim

i cannot tell at all if you're just trolling out of boredom or if you really do just talk and not listen

but from what i can tell, every goddamn body here has been telling you to eat more
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Yes, your body fat can be too low - which is likely what he was commenting on.

What is your height and weight? Are you male or female? Do you know your % body fat?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Okay - I just went and checked out a few of your other comments/threads and looked at your photo.

It is time for you to go find someone to talk to about this - a professional. In your photo you look slightly underweight, but nothing serious. But you should not be restricting calories or obsessing this much about food. Much of your behavior points to an eating disorder.

Eating disorders are very serious. Men tend to think they can't get them and are very underdiagnosed. Tell your doctor that you worry about your food a lot and ask if you can see someone who can help you. Anorexia is one of the deadliest mental diseases out there. Don't mess around with it.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    he probably meant you look like a holocaust victim

i cannot tell at all if you're just trolling out of boredom or if you really do just talk and not listen

but from what i can tell, every goddamn body here has been telling you to eat more
    I think its time for me to create another account

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Your profile says you’re 14, and being skinny is probably a result from growing fast. I was underweight at that age, too, and recall my doctor saying my period might be delayed because of it (which thrilled me to no end). If you are a female, and your period hasn’t started—or it’s irregular--you might want to eat a little more to get your body fat percentage to a higher level to ensure your reproductive system is as healthy. I wouldn’t go about losing muscle mass, per say, but rather gaining a little extra fat. Women need a higher body fat percentage than men do to be wholly healthy.

If you are male, you probably don’t need to worry about it much at all (I speak from less experience here, though, as I am not a man ). Having blood tests for your vitamin levels sounds like a good idea, though they should be good on a primal diet. Other than that, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, as you will likely gain weight naturally once your growth spurts are done.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Okay - I just went and checked out a few of your other comments/threads and looked at your photo.

It is time for you to go find someone to talk to about this - a professional. In your photo you look slightly underweight, but nothing serious. But you should not be restricting calories or obsessing this much about food. Much of your behavior points to an eating disorder.

Eating disorders are very serious. Men tend to think they can't get them and are very underdiagnosed. Tell your doctor that you worry about your food a lot and ask if you can see someone who can help you. Anorexia is one of the deadliest mental diseases out there. Don't mess around with it.
    I told my parents it would be cool if I could get somebody to look at my eating behaviour. Also, I don't have anorexia, more like orthorexia

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I told my parents it would be cool if I could get somebody to look at my eating behaviour. Also, I don't have anorexia, more like orthorexia
    So, eat your heart out on the foods you are not scared of--you are at the stage of life where eating like crazy is perfectly natural. And, yes, you can have a too low of a body fat %. So, try not to stress about food, eat a bunch of it, and go se someone for support about your orthorexia.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    So, eat your heart out on the foods you are not scared of--you are at the stage of life where eating like crazy is perfectly natural. And, yes, you can have a too low of a body fat %. So, try not to stress about food, eat a bunch of it, and go se someone for support about your orthorexia.
    But the problem is that any doctor or professional will probably tell me to eat bread and avoid red mea etc

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    So, does that translate to you eating a lot to try to make up for thinking you are too skinny?

I agree with the poster that said being skinny and hardly having any body fat is part of being young. It will never hurt you as long as you are getting the right amount of nutrients. Do you think you are?

Your doctor is an ass, just like the other 75 percent of doctors out there. He should have handled his concerns differently. The bloodwork might be a good idea, but his bedside manner sounds piss poor.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast