Thread: Stumbled on something rather interesting page

@lex is offline Senior Member

Stumbled on something rather interesting

Hey all,

I picked up a copy of The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne today since I've been a bit anxious and have had a couple mild panic attacks lately. In the book there is a section on nutrition, and Bourne has some pretty interesting bits of advice for a healthy diet for someone with anxiety issues. Here's a couple quick paragraphs from it:

Foods that stress the body

Preservatives

There are presently about five thousand chemical additives used in commercial food processing. Common artificial preservatives include nitrites, nitrates, potassium bisulfite, monosodium glutamate (MSG), BHT, BHA, and artificial colorings and flavorings. our bodies are simply not equipped to handle these artificial substances, and, in most cases, very little is known about their long-term biological effects. To date, some that have been tested have been found to be carcinogenic and thus have been removed from the market. Others in currently in use, especially MSG, nitrites, and nitrates, produce allergic reactions in many people. It is known that traditional societies that eat strictly whole foods without additives have a lower incidence of cancer and other diseases. You should try to eat whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible - the foods your body was designed to handle. Try to purchase vegetables and fruits that haven't been treated with pesticides (organically grown) if these are available in your area.

Hormones in Meat

Red meat, pork, and most commercially available forms of chicken are derived from animals that have been fed hormones to promote fast weight gain and growth. There is evidence that such hormones stress these animals (steers and hogs sometimes die of heart attacks on the loading platform). While there is at present no conclusive evidence, many people believe that these hormones might also have harmful effects for the human consumers of meat and meat products. One particular hormone, diethylstilbestrol (DES), has come to the public's attention because it has been implicated in the development of breast cancer and fibroid tumors.
    Try to reduce your consumption of red meat, pork, and commercially available poultry, replacing it with organically and naturally raised beef, poultry, and fish such as cod, halibut, salmon, snapper, sole, trout, or turbot.

I've yet to read the whole chapter so I'm not sure what his other opinions on nutrition are, but so far everything he mentions falls in pretty well with the whole paleo/primal mindset.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good, to me. I'm just recovering from a bad bout of IBS (at least I think it is). It may seem mean, but I may find myself turning down a number of things of food offerings, more than I may have wanted.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Have you read The Diet cure? Julia Ross was pretty ahead of the curve in nutritional psychology. Her book came out about 12 years ago and has decades of clinical experience helping people using amino supplements and diet for mood/hormonal/adrenal/thyroid/addictions/allergies/cravings/anxiety issues etc. I was re-reading it a few weeks ago and was surprised how in line her dietary recommendations were with a lot of these paleoish/safe starch diets. She steers patients away from milk, wheat, sugar and artificial sweeteners towards the 'safe starches' like potatoes and rice and emphasizes the importance of using the right fats.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Have you read The Diet cure? Julia Ross was pretty ahead of the curve in nutritional psychology. Her book came out about 12 years ago and has decades of clinical experience helping people using amino supplements and diet for mood/hormonal/adrenal/thyroid/addictions/allergies/cravings/anxiety issues etc. I was re-reading it a few weeks ago and was surprised how in line her dietary recommendations were with a lot of these paleoish/safe starch diets. She steers patients away from milk, wheat, sugar and artificial sweeteners towards the 'safe starches' like potatoes and rice and emphasizes the importance of using the right fats.
    I can't say that I have, but it certainly sounds interesting. Right now I'm just using some CBT based stuff and so on to keep myself in check, since the anxiety isn't something as serious as a full blown panic disorder and so on. My diet is pretty much the moderate carb paleo template that you mentioned, and it seems to be working well in all regards.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went through a whole supplement arsenal before for mood/anxiety. They definitely helped but I was taking so many that I wasn't exactly sure what was working and what wasn't. I tapered off them slowly and started eating more sweet potatoes, fruit and organ meats which has helped. I still occasionally take a 5htp and melatonin at night if I'm feeling jittery. But yeah, the Diet Cure is definitely worth a read if you get the chance.