Thread: PB hasn't fixed things. Why? page

Gavin is offline Member

Question PB hasn't fixed things. Why?

Hey guys, I was wondering if these problems that I have could be caused by my running a lot before I went primal. I was overweight before running, and lost weight during, and felt great when I was running. Now that I'm 5 months Primal some things haven't seemed to changed or they've gotten worse.

1)I'm not bounding with energy like what is sometimes described here, but have a more even energy throughout the day, and feel better when I do hard things (Like floor hockey).
    2) Before I went Primal, I'm pretty sure I had IBS and that's gone, but now I may "go" twice a day at times. Could this just be too many vegetables?
    3) At times after I eat, I still "feel" hungry even thought my stomach is full. Should I eat more protein, fat, and less carbohydrates?
    4) I also have read "Why Zebras don't get Ulcers'' and was wondering if anyone had any insight on running and screwing up hormones (I'm 17 right now) so that I can't really build muscle and have that weird energy even though I'm quite active and work out about 3 times a week. I know that it messes up girl's periods who are my age and run, so why not growth hormones as well?
    5) Last thing, should I ditch all the fruit (Apple a day + Berries) in order to lower carb intake to help solve this last bit of fat around the back of my hips?

Thanks to any and all who help!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What do you eat? How much are you running now?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    Paleo is a template.. sometimes people need to tweak it to help with their specific goals or problems. Not everyone is the same.

1) This is not bad, even energy is good. This is about where I am as well.
    2) What does you BM look like? Is it really soft? Twice a day isnt necessarily a bad thing on its own.
    3) This stopped happening to me when I upped my carbs.
    4) Your cortisol levels may be too high or you are cortisol which is not enabling you to build muscle. I would say to take a few weeks off from exercising (besides light like walking) for a couple of weeks. Then I would start adding meditation to your program. If you want to build muscle I'd say to take some time off from running, start with 1X a week lifting, then go up to 3 not on consecutive days and only if you are recovering properly. Additional carbs after lifting will aid your recovery as well as the stress management.
    5) Doubtful this will provide any benefit. Women are suppose to have fat around their hips, it makes you fertile. If you really want to try and cut it I'd recommend a lean gains approach which is in line with my other advice.

I recommend listening to this: Chronic Stress, Cortisol Resistance, and Modern Disease
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Gavin is offline Member
    Sorry guys, a little more information:
    -I'm a guy
    -I stopped running the day I went primal (After a Half-marathon).
    -BM is solid and easy
    -For breakfast, I eat a 6 egg omelet with vegetables, bacon and/or sausage with some berries. Lunch is a huge salad with vegies, meat, olive oil, almonds, and dark chocolate after. Usually an apple as a snack and then dinner is meat, vegies, and coconut butter.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    -I'm a guy
    -BM is solid and easy
    -For breakfast, I eat a 6 egg omelet with vegetables, bacon and/or sausage with some berries. Lunch is a huge salad with vegies, meat, olive oil, almonds, and dark chocolate after. Usually an apple as a snack and then dinner is meat, vegies, and coconut butter.
    My advice remains the same.. 2 BMs a day is just fine, no concerns there, and obviously you dont need fat on your hips to be fertile lol
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

jakey is offline Senior Member
    to answer some of your questions:

1) the 'bounding with energy' thing is kind of hype. maybe if your diet was absolute crap before, and if you're just taking charge of your life. you situation sounds about normal.

2) pooping twice a day? if i pooped less i'd be slightly worried! if i'm in the 1-3 range, i'm happy and normal.

3) if you still feel hungry, eat. but weight a few minutes, drink some water, to see if you're actually still hungry, or if your brain just needs to catch up with your belly.

4) running sucks. a certain percentage of the population can do it long term with no trouble. they're a very small percentage. most people will have problems later in life from any sort of distance running. stick to hill sprints if you really like to run.

5) don't ditch fruit or decide that an apple or some berries are keeping you fat. don't fear carbs if you're already eating primally. and you're 17.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    -I'm a guy
    -BM is solid and easy
    You're 17 --- and a guy --- Take it from a mom --- you're a bottemless pit and your going to feel hungry 24/7. You're metabolism is running like a jet engine right now! The energy surge you were feeling was coming off the endophines from the running. An even level of energy is a good thing. 2 BM's a day is healthy. Growth Hormone comes from your pituitary gland, and about the only thing that can mess with that is a pituitary tumor. Not likely. (And for future info - don't ever take Growth Hormone supplements - your stomach acids will totally destory it and you'll be wasting a lot of money. Trust me, I work for an endocrinologist and we deal with growth hormone issues every day.)

And for what its worth......... you're 17, in good shape and eating healthy - relax! Go play frizbee with your friends - go flirt with a cute girl! Life shouldn't need to be so complicated at your age.