Thread: Help with my LipoProfile results please page

callmeBAM is offline Junior Member

Help with my LipoProfile results please

Primal Fuel
    OK, my bloodwork came in today. I am still dechipering it and reading about what to think about it. Most primal and paleo types say don't worry about total cholesterol, worry about Triglycerides and Insulin Resistance. Also, I have nothing to compare this to, so I cannot know if my numbers have gone up or down. Chime in with any insights you may have!

LDL-P 1691 "HIGH"
    LDL-C 159 "Borderline-High"
    HDL-C 44 (Desirable greater than 40)
    Triglycerides 68 (Desireable less than 50)
    Total Cholesterol 217 (Desireable less than 200)

Due to my LDL-P and LDL-C I got a handwritten note that I need to come in and "discuss cholesterol lowering".

Next page...
    HDL-P (total) 25.8 "low" ... "Higher CVD Risk"
    Small LDL-P 652 "average"
    LDL Size 21nm "Large Pattern A" so that is good according to everyone

LARGE VLDL-P <0.7 .. kinda low, Insulin Sensitive
    SMALL LDL-P 652 .. a little above average, Insulin Resistant side
    Large HDL-P 2.7 ... a little low, Insulin Resistant
    VLDL Size 33.3 ... very very very small, Insulin Sensitive
    LDL Size 21 .. kinda large, Insulin Sensitive
    HDL Size 8.4 ... crazy small Insulin Resistant

LP-IR Score 43 ... completely average

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    How long you been eating primal?

Also recognize that these things can vary significantly from one day to the next....something like 20 points for LDL and 10 points for HDL.

That and I have heard tale that the LDL breakdowns can be quite inaccurate. Might wanna check that out. Think it was Chris Kesslers Paleo Summit talk that I heard that on. Thats why he has quit using them I suppose.

AND....If these are my test results I'm not concerned at all.

I saw Fat Head last August and went lower carb. In January I made the switch to paleo + dairy, which i guess is primal more or less? No processed food, no sugar (except honey sometimes or stevia), no grains, no rice, no corn (just to specify NO GRAINS).

peril is offline Senior Member
    LDL Pattern A means you don't want to discuss lowering your cholesterol. CW "Desirable" is unhealthy

Your total is in the healthy range. Only thing I'd want is to increase the HDL, which will come slowly so long as you keep up the saturated fat
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Do consider that as far as TC is concerned 200-240 actually shows the lowest risk.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a previous history of coronary artery disease? If not, ask your doctor to provide you with the evidence that lowering a total cholesterol of 217 down to "normal" would reduce your risk of developing problems. The data supporting that is very, very poor and very controversial.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Do you have a previous history of coronary artery disease? If not, ask your doctor to provide you with the evidence that lowering a total cholesterol of 217 down to "normal" would reduce your risk of developing problems. The data supporting that is very, very poor and very controversial.
    Pfft. Doctors don't provide "data". They provide cultural authority for obedient sheep.

So, I went to a regular doctor for the tests so that insurance would pay for it, wasn't surprised when they asked me to come in to discuss lowering my cholesterol. But, I forwarded the results to my holistic doctor and she responded: "Based on your cholesterol results, you should come in for a follow-up. Your numbers can largely be corrected with diet & lifestyle measures, but there are some supplements that might be helpful as well and we can discuss these." Seriously?

hbmcracer is offline Member
    It looks like everybody wants your $$
    July 25 - 231.4
    Aug 25 - 220
    Sep 26 - 214
    Oct 26 - 208.8