Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uurrgghh! Stupid sugar... page

Hezzielee is offline Junior Member

uurrgghh! Stupid sugar...

Everytime I think I'm out~ they suck me back in again!!

Needing tips for getting past the sugar cravings. I try not to keep it in the house, hubby is supportive, kids never really were allowed too much to begin with...

and then I eat 3 spoonfuls of jelly after a nap this afternoon!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I do a VLC (ketogenic) day a couple of days out of the week. Pretty good for zapping any lingering sweet tooth. Then just stick to primal carbs on the other days. Works for me.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    A few things I did in my first few weeks that got me through:

Think you're hungry? Probably not. Get some water in you and wait half an hour. You may well just be thirsty.

Allow unlimited amounts of Primal food. It's better to gain a few pounds in the beginning - you'll still be improving your biomarkers and setting the stage for eventual weight loss once your hunger hormones are fixed.

Focus heavily on fat to encourage your digestive tract to use it. Saturated fat is your friend, seek it out. Make your own tallow and use a few tablespoons a day to maintain satiety. This I still do.

Go ahead and keep a little fruit or some carrots around for those times when you are really hitting bottom. You don't necessarily need to be in ketosis to lose weight, and fruit and veggies aren't the devil. This, though, depends on your goals. I did the ketosis thing and it was great. It might not be for everyone, though.

Go outside and walk a few miles. Just getting out of the house and out of the doldrums that can lead to cravings is a big boost.

Lastly, make sure you are loading your body with nutrient-dense foods like liver, greens, oysters and eggs, etc. You may well be craving some essential mineral or nutrient and not knowing it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

+1 to Knifegill. I weaned off the sugar by eating raw almonds and fruit, then slowly phased them out to just a treat on occasion.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It will be rough in the beginning, but after a week or so your mind will find it easier to resist sweets.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Team Oberg is offline Senior Member
    If you arent IFing yet I suggest that, it has really helped me with sugar cravings and I have a MASSIVE sweet tooth....seriously, it must be the size of a T-rex tooth or something. Fruit helps a bit when you just absolutley need something sweet, but if you are like me and can't self-moderate then don't buy sweets, we can't buy almond butter because I will eat half a jar during family reading time. My husband and I have a safe word for when he catches me binging on anything, even if it is fruit and yogurt, there is a point where I need to stop. When he invokes the word either I need to stop or I lose all rights to complain or feel guilty about what I am doing.
    *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
    Marilyn Monroe

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    You need to just get through the cravings, it's that simple. It all comes down to will and determination. Do Not keep any sugary foods in the house. If you ever have a sugar craving, and you cannot will passed it, use buckwheat honey-Mark explained in his blog why it is actually healthy, in moderation of course.

What about exercise? I find that if I am working out, and getting intense workouts in, I do not crave crappy food. My weakness is not just eating someting sweet, but ice cream. I just love the stuff. So, I can relate. I just know that the only real way to get passed the cravings is to make a real and willful committment. Then, once your mind and body are properly conditioned, you should be able to have a few bites of a really good desert every once in a while, without falling off the wagon. It works for me at least.

It is possible part of the reason why you have trouble with sugar cravings is that you are not fulfilled psychologically and physically in some areas. You may want to keep an open mind and consider that there can be psychological drives that cause certain types of behavior, specifical ones that make it hard for us to stop fulfilling unnecessary cravings.

I second the suggestions of both going VLC and intermitting fasting. They definitely work for me and help to get me back on track. I always feel better when I do both.

Why would you only eat raw nuts and fruit on occasion? You do know of all the health benefits of nuts like walnuts and almonds, and of fruits like grapefruit, blueberries, and apples-do you not?

KatieCHI is offline Member
    I was just thinking "uuuurggg stupid sugar!" today, so I hear ya. I tend to go crazy around even my 77% dark chocolate bars especially when I'm stressed out at work (I work at a newspaper, so deadline is always a huge stressor). I told my husband not to let me buy any chocolate for two weeks at least. I've been primal since late January and I still battle the sugar addiction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast