Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon page

Primitivepilot is offline Junior Member

Bacon

Primal Fuel
    I have just finished the e-books and the 21 day transformation guide and am enjoying the new lifestyle choices when it comes to food choices. The bacon thing surprises me however. My previous understanding was that bacon is junk meat full of nitrates. For that reason, I haven't eaten it in years, even though it is delicious!

Any insight as to why it is recommended?

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    It isn't so much that it is recommended but it is highlighted as a great example of something the public has unfairly vilified...

jakey is offline Senior Member
    bacon is crap. it tastes good, but you could live a long and productive life avoiding it. if you must eat it regularly, buy the stuff that's uncured, from pigs that foraged. costs an arm and a leg.

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    The nitrates really aren't the problem. I recently heard Chris Kresser talking about it, and he mentioned that you would have to eat around 500 hotdogs to equal the amount of nitrates in one serving of arugula. Should we avoid arugula too. The problem is most bacon comes from conventionally raised pigs that have messed up O6:O3 ratios. That being said, if your already trying to limit excess O6 and trying to get in good O3, then eating some quality bacon a few times a week should be just fine. If the cost is an issue you can always get fresh side pork and cure it yourself.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I use it as a compliment to dishes. It adds great flavor. I don't pig out on it though! Luckily I can get Llano Seco (foraged) pork bacon ends for about 2 bucks a pound at my butcher.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Bacon is delicious.... I also don't/can't eat it. (Low sodium diet)

BUT... I get plain ol' pork belly, slice it thin, and bake it until chewy-crisp.... YUMMMMMM!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I eat bacon. It is awesome. I do get mine from a farmer (ingredients = pork and spices). I believe the kind I buy to be the sort that you could eat in an "unlimited" variety. I would put the store bought stuff firmly in the moderate category.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Moderate, yes ... Just once or twice a month for me. I love bacon, but if I had it every day it wouldn't be special anymore. Like fois gras ...

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    the taste of bacon is too salty, so it just doesn't work for me as a protein source. the basic idea is that it's okay to eat bacon.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just go for pork belly, at the Korean market. It is, however, on the pricey side.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast