Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glucose deficency and Thyroid page 4

Shop Now
    I'm officially annoyed with my endo since I got my test results (and lack there of).

TSH 3.59 which I know is a little high. He didn't test my free T3 as I requested. And to top it off, he said no changes in my thyroid medication, sigh. So despite symptoms and my TSH being high, no change? Ugh. (Note, I have the ability to up my dose slightly as I was skipping 2x a week and will go back to 1x a week, per his instructions last year despite his "no change").

So I need to do my own analysis of my lab tests based on limited information.

He did test Total T3 which was low (75 of 76-181). Free T4 in range (typically has been). TPO: 37 high (range < 35, typical for me, but borderline high)

WBC and Lymphocytes low (I wasn't sick) which indicates my immune system is low, I believe. RDW high which could be B12 deficiency (I do supplement with B Complex). On a test a month ago, MCHC was low (anemia) but it was normal this test but barely. My other numbers in this area are in range but low.

Some of this indicates perhaps iron deficiency but I eat lots of protein, beef especially.

My thoughts is these results tend to indicate that I have hit the wall of VLC and need to increase my glucose from 25-30 net carbs to 50-100g. I lost 175 lbs at 30 net carbs but perhaps my metabolism was healed to a point that it needs more glucose now to stay healthy, especially now that I've upped my exercise (lift heavy things) lately. I've started eating more carbs around my workouts but am having a rough time with hunger with this change, despite 50-60% fat and 1700 calories on those days. I typically get 25% protein daily. I average around 2000 calories daily. My weight continues to stay around the same, with about 20-30 pounds left to lose.

And I agree, perhaps finding a better doctor that's willing to look at everything going on to manage it better. I may take this all to my GP and see what he thinks. Perhaps he'd be willing to test Free T3 for me, or maybe I'll see about getting it tested on my own. But a naturopath may be in order next.

Thanks for all your help on this and any more advice/ideas very welcome.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelosttheweight View Post
    I'm officially annoyed with my endo since I got my test results (and lack there of).

TSH 3.59 which I know is a little high. He didn't test my free T3 as I requested. And to top it off, he said no changes in my thyroid medication, sigh. So despite symptoms and my TSH being high, no change? Ugh. (Note, I have the ability to up my dose slightly as I was skipping 2x a week and will go back to 1x a week, per his instructions last year despite his "no change").

So I need to do my own analysis of my lab tests based on limited information.

He did test Total T3 which was low (75 of 76-181). Free T4 in range (typically has been). TPO: 37 high (range < 35, typical for me, but borderline high)

WBC and Lymphocytes low (I wasn't sick) which indicates my immune system is low, I believe. RDW high which could be B12 deficiency (I do supplement with B Complex). On a test a month ago, MCHC was low (anemia) but it was normal this test but barely. My other numbers in this area are in range but low.

Some of this indicates perhaps iron deficiency but I eat lots of protein, beef especially.

My thoughts is these results tend to indicate that I have hit the wall of VLC and need to increase my glucose from 25-30 net carbs to 50-100g. I lost 175 lbs at 30 net carbs but perhaps my metabolism was healed to a point that it needs more glucose now to stay healthy, especially now that I've upped my exercise (lift heavy things) lately. I've started eating more carbs around my workouts but am having a rough time with hunger with this change, despite 50-60% fat and 1700 calories on those days. I typically get 25% protein daily. I average around 2000 calories daily. My weight continues to stay around the same, with about 20-30 pounds left to lose.

And I agree, perhaps finding a better doctor that's willing to look at everything going on to manage it better. I may take this all to my GP and see what he thinks. Perhaps he'd be willing to test Free T3 for me, or maybe I'll see about getting it tested on my own. But a naturopath may be in order next.

Thanks for all your help on this and any more advice/ideas very welcome.

I hate to bring this up again, but I think you really should consider adding in the organ meats. Low iron and B12 would be greatly helped by eating liver. Eating head-to-tail is an important part of getting healthy, IMHO. It does also seem that you are not great at converting T4 to T3 or you are making rT3. Do you take selenium?

Have you seen the stopthethyroidmadness website? Some of what you are describing is addressed there.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    There's no such thing as glucose deficiency... except for death.

Blood Sugar 101
    Last edited by js290; 04-27-2012 at 12:29 AM.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    There's no such thing as glucose deficiency... except for death.

Blood Sugar 101
    that's certainly correct, but it does not mean that everyone functions well without exogenous sources of glucose.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I hate to bring this up again, but I think you really should consider adding in the organ meats. Low iron and B12 would be greatly helped by eating liver. Eating head-to-tail is an important part of getting healthy, IMHO. It does also seem that you are not great at converting T4 to T3 or you are making rT3. Do you take selenium?
    I second the liver. I mean low iron and B12? Pfft...1/2lb of liver/week will nuke that issue with some to spare. Traditional foods and preparation expecially where meat and fermentation is concerned can really help.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Just came across this from Anthony Colpo:

All the abovementioned studies examined the effect of altering carbohydrate intake on thyroid hormone levels. The results are virtually unanimous: decreasing carbohydrate intake to low levels results in diminished levels of T3 and/or increased rT3, something most aspiring fat-burners wish to avoid desperately.
    Is a Low Carb Diet Bad For Your Thyroid? | AnthonyColpo

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    Just came across this from Anthony Colpo:

Is a Low Carb Diet Bad For Your Thyroid? | AnthonyColpo
    Thanks. Everything I've been reading seems to lean this way, that VLC is not good long term for hypothyroidism. I've lost 175 pounds at it so far (so there is something to be said for fat loss) but hit the wall, especially when I re-introduce weights back into my routine. I also believe many low carbers go too low on carbs (under 50g) thinking they need to to lose weight, and those with thyroid conditions should be especially attentive to the long term effects of it.

Unfortunately, there's not many doctors out there dealing with low carb and thyroid so it's very hard to find information except online with some great ones that are diving into it (Chris Kresser, Paul Jaminet, Dr. Cate etc.).

I have recently added more carbs on my workout days and more protein in the form of whey isolate. I'm looking at adding liver once a week (despite my distaste for it, I will make a point to get it in), along with bone broth.

Upping the carbs has NOT caused weight gain at this point, but not much loss yet. My weight has actually stayed about the same daily which is unusual for me as I'm often up and down a pound or two. I have lost a little bit in inches and gained a few inches (forearms, neck) that is likely due to the weight training.

I also feel a bit better, less cold and fatigue, but my hunger is way up and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that without adding too much in calories (I already eat around 2000 daily). It could be my body telling me to keep eating more carbs and I intend to do that, adding in sweet potatoes, jicama, carrots, more berries and other veggies that I used to portion-control carefully and possibly steel-cut oats. I'm aiming for 200g of carbs on my workout days and working up 35 to 50g daily minimum or more. Trying to ramp it up slowly.

Thanks again for the ideas on this.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelosttheweight View Post
    Thanks. Everything I've been reading seems to lean this way, that VLC is not good long term for hypothyroidism. I've lost 175 pounds at it so far (so there is something to be said for fat loss) but hit the wall, especially when I re-introduce weights back into my routine. I also believe many low carbers go too low on carbs (under 50g) thinking they need to to lose weight, and those with thyroid conditions should be especially attentive to the long term effects of it.

Unfortunately, there's not many doctors out there dealing with low carb and thyroid so it's very hard to find information except online with some great ones that are diving into it (Chris Kresser, Paul Jaminet, Dr. Cate etc.).

I have recently added more carbs on my workout days and more protein in the form of whey isolate. I'm looking at adding liver once a week (despite my distaste for it, I will make a point to get it in), along with bone broth.

Upping the carbs has NOT caused weight gain at this point, but not much loss yet. My weight has actually stayed about the same daily which is unusual for me as I'm often up and down a pound or two. I have lost a little bit in inches and gained a few inches (forearms, neck) that is likely due to the weight training.

I also feel a bit better, less cold and fatigue, but my hunger is way up and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that without adding too much in calories (I already eat around 2000 daily). It could be my body telling me to keep eating more carbs and I intend to do that, adding in sweet potatoes, jicama, carrots, more berries and other veggies that I used to portion-control carefully and possibly steel-cut oats. I'm aiming for 200g of carbs on my workout days and working up 35 to 50g daily minimum or more. Trying to ramp it up slowly.

Thanks again for the ideas on this.
    Would like to say - you've achieved an awesome fat loss so far. So big congratulations to you.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Would like to say - you've achieved an awesome fat loss so far. So big congratulations to you.
    Thank you. No surgery, just the "magic" of low carb. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the remaining fat gone which may be the toughest part of my battle yet. I'm not in a hurry as it's taken me years to get this far. I'm just trying to figure out how to get my metabolism back on track with the right changes and nutrition to get me to a healthier body fat%. Got lots of great suggestions here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234