Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to PB and would like to get some feedback on my diet thus far page

maimarni is offline Junior Member

New to PB and would like to get some feedback on my diet thus far

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

I started PB last Tuesday. Since my Amazon order for the 21 day challenge book and the PB book are on their way, I have explored the MDA website but am still not sure whether I'm eating healthy.
    I hope it's OK for me to post my daily food intake and I am hoping to get some comments. Thanks in advance!

TUE:
    3 eggs, 50g of goat's cheese, pepper, salt, thyme, fried in a bit of org. butter.
    black coffee, lot of mineral water.
    3 handfulls of pistachio's, almonds, pecans.
    100g of diced mango
    1 red bell pepper, 1 zucchini, 1 small onion, clove of garlic, 150g tuna from a can, fried in 1tbs of ev olive oil.
    another slice of mango.

WED:
    150g mango
    black coffee, lots of water.
    piece of gruyere cheese
    handfull of macadamia's
    100g raspberries
    handfull of pistachios
    125g wild salmon, fried with pepper, salt and some organic butter
    1 zucchini with 1 tbs of home made pesto (basil, pine nuts, parmigiano, garlic, ev olive oil)

THU:
    2 eggs, tbs of grated parmigiano, pepper, salt, fried in organic butter
    handfull of mixed nuts
    coffee, lots of water
    handfull of macadamia, handfull pistachios
    1 avocado, 50g of mixed lettuce, 3 tomatoes, fresh lime juice, tbs ev olive oil, 4 tbs of fresh coriander, pepper, salt
    125g of raspberries

FRI:
    2 eggs, 50g of goat's cheese, pepper, salt, thyme, fried in organic butter.
    coffee and lots of water
    planning to eat: eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes, fried in ev olive oil

Feel free to comment my eating! I am trying to become PB to lose weight and get more energized and healthy. I eat mostly organic stuff and drink a lot of water.
    Am I eating too many nuts and fruits?

Thanks!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    your diet looks like it includes all primal foods...tasty ones at that. if you're trying to lose weight, you might want to back off on all the nuts a little bit. they are very calorie dense, and can throw off your omega ratios, but it's nothing to stop completely. i think your fruit intake is pretty good, but if you want to lower your carb intake (which i don't think you need to do) that would be the easiest way.
    by any chance are you switching from being vegetarian? there is very little meat in your meals, and it's all fish. that's fine, i'm just curious.
    mostly, you're going to be your best guide. do you have more energy? are you feeling good, waking up easily, satisfied by your meals, etc.?

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Looks pretty good, I agree with the nut consumption and protein variety the poster above mentioned. If you're trying to lose weight without dramatically decreasing carbs, I'd suggest replacing some of the fruit with sweet potato, butternut squash, beets, maybe a modest helping of white rice with butter. It just seems like you're eating a lot of natural sugar. Love me some fruit, but it makes me hungrier later in the day if I eat it before midafternoon. Just my two cents.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It appears you are afraid of meat so you eat eggs instead. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but don't be afraid of meat. It's good for you. Especially beef, lamb or other animals that eat grass.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Thank you both!

@primalrob: you're right, that's one thing I forgot to mention: I have been a vegetarian for the past 15(!) years. Hardly ever ate an egg, either. So suddenly eggs and fish are a huge change in my eating pattern. I think I will never eat other meat (beef, pork, fowl, etc) so I'm hoping I will succeed in living primal without those foods, even though they definitely seem staples in most primal diets.

But yeah, already I feel more satisfied after meals, especially after eating salmon and/or eggs. Today on day 4, the sugar cravings really set in. I understand that slightly less nuts and fruits would help me in the weight loss area, so I will consider that. I think these first days are really about 'detoxing' as I consider it: I used to have a really bad eating pattern with lots and lots of carbs and sugars, take-out, fried stuff, lots of alcohol too..
    So I will just see the cravings as sugar withdrawal.

I have a lot of energy and just went for a long bike ride in the rain, which I would never have done before.

@SophieScreams: I think it is a very good idea to only eat fruit later on in the day. I am trying hard to not eat any sugars in the morning (and I was used to very high carb-sugary breakfasts so this is still quite difficult)

Is it OK if I post my daily menu in this topic once in a while to see if anyone has any suggestions? Also I am reading more and more topics on this forum, interesting to read and this way I hope to learn more.

You have already been a big help, thanks!

@sbhikes: my explanation for that is in the previous post... I know that meat isn't bad, but I am indeed worried about eating it after 15 years of vegetarianism. Worried that my body will not digest it properly? I don't know. I will think about changing that.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I see. I wish you well in your transition. I used to be a vegetarian long time ago and it made me sort of sad to give it up. Still does sometimes.

When I gave up vegetarianism (way before this diet) the first thing I ate was tri-tip, which is a type of beef steak. I couldn't eat stuff like hamburger. You never know what's in there and finding little hard things freaked me out. Fish was okay to eat. I never actually had a problem with fish since I had caught fish in my childhood so had no guilty feelings about it. I had a hard time with chicken because of all the cartilage. It was all mental.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If you're worried about digestion, start with small portions, and have some digestive enzymes with it.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

13blessings is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maimarni View Post
    But yeah, already I feel more satisfied after meals, especially after eating salmon and/or eggs. Today on day 4, the sugar cravings really set in. I understand that slightly less nuts and fruits would help me in the weight loss area, so I will consider that. I think these first days are really about 'detoxing' as I consider it: I used to have a really bad eating pattern with lots and lots of carbs and sugars, take-out, fried stuff, lots of alcohol too..
    So I will just see the cravings as sugar withdrawal.
    Try increasing your fat intake a bit for the next few days to ward off the carb withdrawl. It helped me tremendously the first couple of weeks. Also until you get over your carb flu (intense sugar cravings are a part of that), I wouldn't worry so much about your nut and fruit consumption. It's a much healthier choice than what you're probably craving. I know I ate way too many nuts in the beginning but it really got me through the carb flu and those difficult early days when you're totally changing your eating patterns and your body is protesting. But otherwise, the PP's are right...nuts will slow your weight loss. I know when I cut back on eating them my weight loss picked up. You could try a piece of very dark dark chocolate (only as long as it's not a trigger food for you). I eat a square every day and it really gives me something to look forward to and I relish it. It also helps with cravings. And I'm still losing. A lot of people would disagree here with me so YMMV.

Congratulations on choosing this lifestyle and good work so far!!

13blessings is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I see. I wish you well in your transition. I used to be a vegetarian long time ago and it made me sort of sad to give it up. Still does sometimes.

When I gave up vegetarianism (way before this diet) the first thing I ate was tri-tip, which is a type of beef steak. I couldn't eat stuff like hamburger. You never know what's in there and finding little hard things freaked me out. Fish was okay to eat. I never actually had a problem with fish since I had caught fish in my childhood so had no guilty feelings about it. I had a hard time with chicken because of all the cartilage. It was all mental.
    ^ This. I was a vegetarian for 20 years and this way of life is still very difficult for me. I still tend to go with fish and eggs and as my primary sources of protein with this diet. I eat a lot of Boar's Head deli turkey meat too. And mine is totally mental as well. It's not that I don't like the taste, I just tend to think too much about what I'm eating. I'm still learning though and am hoping this mental block eases with time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast