Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating meat makes you age quicker? page

ijmatthews is offline Junior Member

Eating meat makes you age quicker?

Primal Fuel
    The gf came upon this little ditty tonight. Some pretty extreme claims devoid of any scientific facts. Have at it.

Why High Animal Protein Diets Age You Faster

peril is offline Senior Member
    If its devoid of evidence there is no point rebutting it. Just a waste of time
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

@lex is offline Senior Member
    If you look long enough you can find studies to "prove" that eating anything will harm you in some way, even drinking water. It's all bullshit with exaggerated and misleading claims and generally piss poor science. If a clinical and peer reviewed study that proves eating healthy and natural meat will harm you exists, I've never seen it.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Gillian McKeith vs. Nigella Lawson | Diary of a Domestic Goddess

That is all...

Living in what is basically one of the MAJOR cycling/triathlon training areas of the country I will say that I whole heartedly believe that chronic-cardio is AWFUL stuff. They all look horrendous and unhealthy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    Furthermore, unless you are eating it raw, animal foods have been heated, which denatures the amino acids which make up protein chains, reducing the actual amount of protein your body is able to use and assimilate.

^Funny, I learned in Health class that no, we don't absorb 100% of the animal protein-- it's closer to 70-90%-- but we absorb EVEN LESS protein from plants-- 20-40%. And being the only natural carrier of B12, a "claim" of free radicals and alkaline is not enough to turn me off from meat. And not enough fiber? Do they think meat eaters ONLY eat meat and not a well rounded diet that includes fiber filled food? I also believe that anything can give anybody indigestion, not JUST meat.

Definitely devoid of scientific facts but it's always an amusing read-- this seemed more like a do-gooder pollution/environmental "think of the children!!" scare-tactic article. I'm hoping your gf just stumbled upon it and is not trying to change your ways!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    even drinking water.

Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info

MrsLittleboss is offline Junior Member
    Ok, if one eats a lot of fatty meat (no veggies or greens) + has his/hers bum glued to the chair, they are guaranteed to look old, tired and unhealthy.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Furthermore, unless you are eating it raw, animal foods have been heated, which denatures the amino acids which make up protein chains, reducing the actual amount of protein your body is able to use and assimilate.

^Funny, I learned in Health class that no, we don't absorb 100% of the animal protein-- it's closer to 70-90%-- but we absorb EVEN LESS protein from plants-- 20-40%. And being the only natural carrier of B12, a "claim" of free radicals and alkaline is not enough to turn me off from meat. And not enough fiber? Do they think meat eaters ONLY eat meat and not a well rounded diet that includes fiber filled food? I also believe that anything can give anybody indigestion, not JUST meat.

Definitely devoid of scientific facts but it's always an amusing read-- this seemed more like a do-gooder pollution/environmental "think of the children!!" scare-tactic article. I'm hoping your gf just stumbled upon it and is not trying to change your ways!
    I agree, lots of scientific misunderstandings there. Amino acids can't be denatured - they're relatively tiny molecules that have a set three-dimensional shape. It's proteins that can be denatured.

And there's not one mention of fish in the entire article. Salmon is choc full of B vitamins and minerals, not to mention omega 3.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Oh noes! 75% of the earths surface is covered in poison and it rains from the sky! What kind of mad world is this?!
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLittleboss View Post
    Ok, if one eats a lot of fatty meat (no veggies or greens) + has his/hers bum glued to the chair, they are guaranteed to look old, tired and unhealthy.
    I doubt that this is true.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast