Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: raw milk and ketosis page

jackson44 is offline Senior Member

raw milk and ketosis

Do any of you drink raw milk? If so, how does it effect your ketosis?

I drink raw milk that I let ferment for 24 (kind of like kefir) to help get rid most of the lactose every morning.

Any thoughts, ideas, would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks,
    J

activia is offline Senior Member
    lactose tends to spike insulin in some amounts, it may or may not bring you out of ketosis...depending on how much you've eaten and how many other carbs you ate, and how much you are consuming. But why does that matter exactly?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Want to make sure I control my blood sugar without a huge insulin spike.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I drink raw, I do not try to maintain ketosis however.

Even in the MOST fermented raw milk products, such as a higher fat (about 10%) long thermophyllic culture (8-12+ hours), or even longer mesophyllic culture(12-24 hours) there will still be some "carbs" from residual lactose. I do not think that a non-specifically cultured milk is not going to lose significant lactose. Just my opinion... YMMV.

I honestly do not think that most milk products, other than the aged cheeses and heavy cream, are really low carb enough to maintain ketosis if that is your goal. And the amounts of those should be limited.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    Want to make sure I control my blood sugar without a huge insulin spike.
    are u diabetic? or do you have cancer?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Thanks for the information! So, if you drink raw milk w/out trying to maintain ketosis, are saying that not all meals should be aimmed at staying in ketosis?

Thanks again and looking forward to your helpful response.

QUOTE=cori93437;791782]I drink raw, I do not try to maintain ketosis however.

Even in the MOST fermented raw milk products, such as a higher fat (about 10%) long thermophyllic culture (8-12+ hours), or even longer mesophyllic culture(12-24 hours) there will still be some "carbs" from residual lactose. I do not think that a non-specifically cultured milk is not going to lose significant lactose. Just my opinion... YMMV.

I honestly do not think that most milk products, other than the aged cheeses and heavy cream, are really low carb enough to maintain ketosis if that is your goal. And the amounts of those should be limited.[/QUOTE]

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I drink raw, I do not try to maintain ketosis however.

I honestly do not think that most milk products, other than the aged cheeses and heavy cream, are really low carb enough to maintain ketosis if that is your goal. And the amounts of those should be limited.
    this dude knows his fermented dairy! damn.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson44 View Post
    Thanks for the information! So, if you drink raw milk w/out trying to maintain ketosis, are saying that not all meals should be aimmed at staying in ketosis?

Thanks again and looking forward to your helpful response.
    I don't ever specifically try to maintain ketosis. I do not personally believe that it is necessary.
    I'm quite sure that there are probably times when I may indeed go into ketosis as I occasionally just feel more inclined to eat lots of meat and green leafy veg. for several days. I go by what my body is asking for though, if I'm craving some dairy I have my raw milk or raw long cultured greek style yoghurt, if I want some fruit I have some fruit (generally black cherries or berries), and at times I eat starchy veg such as sweet potato. That is why I'm sure I'm not in ketosis the vast majority of the time. I feel better eating a wide variety of healthy whole foods than I do sticking to the fairly strict parameters required for ketosis to occur.

I do not consider this a DIET just for weight loss but a permanent lifestyle change, and that is why I don't want to ever feel overly restricted by food choices.
    That said I am losing weight, but VERY SLOWLY. I'm OK with this, as are my doctors... but I understand that not everyone has that sort of patience and many want at least a significant loss at the beginning of a program to get the mental feeling that it will work for them.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Cori - thanks for the great info!

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I try to stay in ketosis at all times as I am on a ketogenic/Paleo diet combined to reduce seizures.
    I also love butter, cream, kefir and full fat milk.
    I do struggle to stay in ketosis even if I keep my carb levels below 20 grams a day, so Im thinking now, after reading these posts that these dairy products might be the reason for that?
    Am I right?
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast