Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Paleo here, weight loss advice please! page

acass is offline Junior Member

New Paleo here, weight loss advice please!

Shop Now
    Hello new to the group here. I'm an athlete who has always had a hard time losing
    weight and I feel as if switching to become Paleo makes a lot of sense. It is the first time
    I felt natural and healthy about the way I am eating. Had some questions about numbers or calories
    I guess. How many grams of carbs, fat, protein a day?? I also do about 2 hours of exercise and I
    am looking to lose around 25-30 pounds. Any advice (books, websites, blogs I could look at) or just
    advice from personal experience would be really helpful. Thanks

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Have you read The Primal Blueprint?
    There is a lot of information on this site you should review and / or download.
    See the "Start Here" tab and that should get you to the basics.

Welcome

thanks. I have read the book but I just want more specific numbers

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    In the beginning I went high fat and protein, only carbs from veggies and minimal sweet potatoes. Once the carb flu let up it seemed easier to even out and figure out grams then. At first, the important thing (for me) seems to be to cut out any processed stuff and wheat. Don't overthink it in the beginning.. There is plenty of time to figure out how much of what works for you later on..

Lyndie is offline Junior Member
    acass,

I agree, I'd like numbers too. :-) I've read the book and I'm on track, but would love a very distinct game plan.
    Lyndie

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamilyn121 View Post
    In the beginning I went high fat and protein, only carbs from veggies and minimal sweet potatoes. Once the carb flu let up it seemed easier to even out and figure out grams then. At first, the important thing (for me) seems to be to cut out any processed stuff and wheat. Don't overthink it in the beginning.. There is plenty of time to figure out how much of what works for you later on..
    I agree with this. You'll adjust it over and over through the months until you find what works for you. I'm 5'7" and am 170 pounds now. I've lost 25 pounds total since switching over. On average for me to not feel hungry I eat about 50% fat 30% protein and 20% carbs. Carbs vary from day I eat between 70-150g depending on my workouts. I also do Fast 5 though because I find with my insulin resistance I do better this way.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The only distinct plan you need is to calculate your lean body mass protein requirement (do a search on how to do this) and then make sure you get enough protein each day to maintain your lean body mass (do a search on how to calculate grams of protein in meat.) Then just eat healthy primal foods according to your hunger, making sure to spend a good portion of your day NOT eating (in other words, NO SNACKS).
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It varies for EVERYONE. People here are 5'4 inactive and eat 2200 calories a day and lose. There are people like me who are 5'6 active and eat 1400 calories a day and lose slowly. People eat a high amount (relative)of carbs and lose, people eat very low carb and lose.

A starting point is to eat according to your appetite, the full range of primal foods within 3 meals a day, no snacking and go from there. If low energy is an issue, up your carbs, if you are always hungry, increase the fat ratio. It seems like a lot of people have great results just cutting out the nasty toxic foods and need never worry about the rest!

This is reply is for sugarcrystal8

Thanks for the info. So since you are doing 50% fat, 30% protein and 20% carbs would
    you know how many calories total you are consuming?

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    Right now I've created a deficit since I'm trying to lose. So between 1400 to 1500 a day. I do kettlebell training twice a week and those days average in the higher end and sometimes hit 1600. I do hot yoga 3 days a week and those days are lower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast