Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good evening from England! Looking for tasty Paleo Snacks.... page

PaleoSnacks is offline Junior Member

Good evening from England! Looking for tasty Paleo Snacks....

Shop Now
    Hi,

I started the paleo diet in late 2011, and I can honestly say I'm now leaner, fitter and have more energy than I've ever had. The one bit I'm struggling with though, is where to find great Paleo snacks? It's so difficult to resist the temptation, particularly when at work, of the normally sugary 'treats'!

Does anyone have any tips for great Paleo snacks out there that I can buy? I may even create a site to collate all the advice, and possibly even distribute snacks through. I've searched everywhere and can't find what I'm looking for, so I figure.... go create it!

If you're interested in seeing the list, register your interest here:

http://bit.ly/J0qcP5

Thanks in advance for any tips!
    Last edited by PaleoSnacks; 04-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoSnacks View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for great Paleo snacks out there that I can buy?
    How about an apple, banana or a few nuts. Alternatively, why not make something up to take with you instead of buying a snack? When I was working I always carried a rucksack containing my waterproofs, lunch, spare specs, medication and etc plus a little snackable stuff.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Thanks Nigel, good tip, and I'll definitely try and work that into my routine!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Snacking is bad for your health. If you're eating primally you should feel no need to snack. Many get by on two meals a day and nothing else
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thanks Peril. Why is snacking bad for your health?
    Last edited by PaleoSnacks; 04-14-2012 at 03:21 AM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Because your metabolism is tuned to scarcity not plenty. Keep stoking the fire and some metabolic processes will never kick in. Snacking is a major contributor to obesity, regardless of net calorie consumption
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Snacking is generally hard on the pancreas, liver and digestive system. On average, it takes the pancreas about 6 hours to fully recover from producing all the enzymes required to digest a meal and performing endocrine functions in response to the ingested nutrients, e.g. secreting insulin and other hormones. And the liver has to process various nutrients ingested as well as breaking down toxins ingested.

A healthy gut is better at absorbing micronutrients, and good gut health is vital for a strong immune system and avoidance of autoimmune disorders, as well as good mental health (via the gut-brain axis). The liver is the powerhouse of metabolism and also involved in maintaining the immune system.

So it's good to give each component of this system a decent rest between meals if you can, and not confuse and taunt it with random piddling tidbits of food.

However, don't worry if it takes a few months to wean yourself off snacking. Try to eat high-fat/high-protein snacks. Yes, it's a good idea to have something healthier to help you resist temptation when sugary treats are waved under your nose. Boiled eggs, a tin of tuna, cold sausages, natural yoghurt mixed with raw cocoa powder and a bit of honey, chunk of cheese with an apple, 40 g of very dark chocolate are good options. If you're going to snack make it a decent amount of food and then aim to eat a bit less for your next meal, and eat that later too if convenient. If you can break away from set meal times and eat when you're hungry, that should help matters.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-14-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    raw cocoa powder
    Where can one find it in England? All I've seen is dessicated coconut but not powder or flour.

I have managed to give up supper and don't snack now either. I don't feel the need since I've given up wheat etc.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

pierro6 is offline Junior Member
    Cocoa powder, not coconut powder. Chocolatey stuff

AngloPaleo is offline Member
    Smoked mackerel!! We are blessed with such great affordable ready to eat smoked fish in the UK.

At the supermarket, smoked salmon tends to be farmed, not wild, but mackerel is cheap and generally wild.

I eat it at work, on the go after the gym, when I get home in the evening and I'm starving... It'll take care of your omega 3/6 balance too

Also affordable and good for cooking: kipper and haddock. Thank you Scotland!
    Last edited by AngloPaleo; 04-16-2012 at 04:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast