Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - rccrsphil - aka - the Filipino Cherokee Grok page

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - rccrsphil - aka - the Filipino Cherokee Grok

Primal Fuel
    Welp, I figured a journal should be started sooner than later. A little bit about myself, I'm a 28 year old male from the Midwest. I'm 6'1 and started my Primal journey at 248 lbs back on February 14th. I'm of Filipino and Native American descent which equates to lots of white rice, soy sauce and corn. It probably didn't help that my dad was raised by Italians - insert breads and pastas. Needless to say, growing up was a refined carbohydrate fueled journey.

One of my many recollections as a young child was clothes shopping for the school year. It was a time that we all looked forward to - ha. Besides trying on many different shirts and pants and mom making sure that they 'fit' just right, our options were limited. In fact, all I really remember was that the pant size had to be "husky". What kind of size is that? At the time I thought it was similar to the shoe size designation of "wide". Oh well. I wonder if they still have the "husky" size for kids anymore?

Anyways, I wasn't the largest nor the skinniest kid in school and wasn't picked on because of my size. In fact, I think my size intimidated those potential bullies. I was always active, not particularly in organized sports, but more after-school intramurals such baseball and football. However, I dreaded gym class especially when coach split the class into "shirts vs skins". I prayed each time I was on the "shirts" team.

During my high school years, I hovered around 220-230 lbs pretty consistently - no matter what I ate. I was part of a group of friends that would frequent Pizza Street's all-you-can-eat pizza buffet literally every other day. Oh the joys of eating whatever as a teenager.

Fast forward to college/post college. I would hear people talking about how metabolism slows down with age. Not me, I thought. I had the appetite of my high school years. My weight slowly climbed....and climbed. Getting married and finding a real job.......weight kept on creeping up. It never really struck me because change is gradual and hardly noticed - insert the boiling frog experiment. I did start to feel "tired" all the time. It's pretty bad when you are 28 years old and it's a process to wake up in the morning. Achy bones, creaking back and knees. Too soon I thought, but thought it was a side-effect of all of the weight lifting in high school. Still no change.

I would start noticing that my clothes were getting a little tighter and tighter. At first my wife and I would blame it on the dryer shrinking the clothes - of course the likely culprit. It wasn't my 250lb body. However, the dryer was let off the hook and what happened was literally a light-switch moment where I was done placing blame when the blame really needed to be placed on myself. I could not longer blame work, blame the schedule, blame that the only thing to eat was McDonalds, and blame others for my inaction to improve my health. When I read similar stories, it seems that most peoples call-to-action was very similar - like someone peeled away the wool from our eyes and truly see the situation for what it is. I consider myself a pretty independent individual and if I wanted to change - I needed to do it myself.

I made the commitment to myself and my wife that I was going to go cold-turkey and check out a Paleo lifestyle. I have a couple of friends who are into the Cross-fit crowd and each has touted a Paleo lifestyle as the way to go. I immersed myself into different books, in fact, The Paleo Solution by Cordain was my first. I was hungry and needed something else to devour information wise. I cruised out to Amazon and typed in "Paleo" - what I found was going to change my life. I saw "The Primal Blueprint" and had to grab a copy as it was highly reviewed and liked across the board. I read the book cover to cover and loved Mark's point of view and style. This was it. I'm onboard.

February 14, 2012 - Valentine's Day - Primal day 1. I was all in.

Everything went super smooth for the first week - until I hit the dreaded common carb flu. I felt like I was hit by a truck. My body was rebelling from years of SAD and was doing it's best to revert to it's old ways. I stuck to my guns and overcame that obstacle. It was smooth sailing after that. The part that I love about being Primal is the continuous results that I not only see, but what I feel. No more afternoon energy crashes, consistent mood, consistent energy, looser clothes, achy back pain no more, clearer skin. All I can say is it's amazing. Family, coworkers and friends have all commented on the results and have had some people join the "Primal" lifestyle. My brother has been primal for a couple of weeks and has noticed great results. My mom and dad are slowly being convinced as well my wife. There's no greater satisfaction than seeing others take part in something that you know will benefit them.

As far as me today: I weighed in at 199.2 pounds - down 51 pounds! I'm getting closer to my target of around 180-185. I feel better today than I can ever recall.

Now that I'm looking back at this post, I applaud those of you who finished the short-novel to read a little bit about my beginnings and hopefully find strength within your personal journey for optimal health. I'll update this journal with my thoughts, progresses, and random ramblings of living life Primally. Thank you for taking the time to read. Grok-on!
    Last edited by rccrsphil; 04-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Great success story!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thanks Hedonist2, I appreciate it!
    Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
    Current Primal weight: 183.2

Breakfast - DIY Coconut Larabar with GT's Multi-Green kombucha tea
    Lunch - Tanka bites beef jerky, sardines, and GT's No. 7 kombucha tea
    Dinner - Bacon, eggs, and strawberries!

P.S - I can't wait for my scoby to grow so I can brew my own kombucha at home. It's starting to get expensive at $3 a bottle! I now know what my Starbucks friends (fiends) are going through.

P.S.S - Weighed in at 198.0 this morning!

Currently on a 19 hour I.F. Feeling awesome.

Thinking about some pork chops and a a giant salad for dinner.

Weighed in this morning at 195.8.

tj_card is offline Member
    WOOT WOOT!! I am just mad you are beating me bro!! But I will catch up to you on weight lost! Plus my hair is cooler than yours!

Im proud of you!
    I don't think I have ever said that to you.
    And I know it was the first time you have ever said it to me when you saw I didn't bail over a week in.

Quote Originally Posted by tj_card View Post
    WOOT WOOT!! I am just mad you are beating me bro!! But I will catch up to you on weight lost! Plus my hair is cooler than yours!

Im proud of you!
    I don't think I have ever said that to you.
    And I know it was the first time you have ever said it to me when you saw I didn't bail over a week in.
    Hey broheem. You'll get there, I promise. I've been primal a lot longer than you! You'll catch up. Your hair being cooler....well that's up for debate

Yes, I'm proud of you - stick with it and I promise you'll feel better and continue to see results!

Meal line up for today:

Breakfast - GTs Guava Goodness Kombucha tea
    Lunch - Grilled pork chops, broccoli & GTs No 9 Kombucha tea
    Dinner - Maybe bacon, eggs, fruit (or I.F depending on appetite).

Fixed up bacon, eggs, and kombucha for dinner. I'm sitting here eating some 99% dark chocolate from World Market.

Participated in my first 5k of the year this past Saturday!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast