Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental visit page

Dental visit

Primal Fuel
    So I went to the dentist the other day for the first time in almost 6 years and here's what they found: four wisdom teeth that will need extraction, a separate tooth that has a cavity so bad that it needs extraction and 5 smaller cavities. The dentist asked if I drink a lot of pop - don't drink any. Haven't had soda since highschool (almost 7 years ago). He said that I need to increase my fluoride intake. Since going Primal I switched to fluoride-free toothpaste and have been drinking water from a filtered system. Now I'm trying to decide how much fluoride to put back into my daily intake. I've also been drinking a lot of water with lemon juice - could this be hurting my teeth? Any advice at all?

Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixteenDollars View Post
    So I went to the dentist the other day for the first time in almost 6 years and here's what they found: four wisdom teeth that will need extraction, a separate tooth that has a cavity so bad that it needs extraction and 5 smaller cavities. The dentist asked if I drink a lot of pop - don't drink any. Haven't had soda since highschool (almost 7 years ago). He said that I need to increase my fluoride intake. Since going Primal I switched to fluoride-free toothpaste and have been drinking water from a filtered system. Now I'm trying to decide how much fluoride to put back into my daily intake. I've also been drinking a lot of water with lemon juice - could this be hurting my teeth? Any advice at all?

Thanks!
    Get a second opinion. Some dentists are a bit extraction happy. All four of my wisdom teeth have come in just fine even though they wanted to cut em out when I was still in highschool. I might suggest you get your x-rays from the office you were just at to take for the second opinion. Save you some time, money, and radiation.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-12-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Actually, to clarify, I've decided to get the teeth removed. The dentist recommended a root canal for the deep cavity and for the wisdom teeth it's up to me. I figure it will just save a lot of money and pain to have them all removed.
    Last edited by SixteenDollars; 04-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    go to another dentist. my wife went to 3 and each told her she had a cavity. funny thing is, they were all different teeth.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixteenDollars View Post
    Actually, to clarify, I've decided to get the teeth removed. The dentist recommended a root canal for the deep cavity and for the wisdom teeth it's up to me. I figure it will just save a lot of money and pain to have them all removed.
    I'm sorry, I still think a second opinion is in order BUT seems your real question is could being fluoride free and drinking lemon water be detrimental. I'm gonna go with no. I'm sure there are people who can expand on that, but just looking into WAP (Weston A Price) stuff none of these people were pounding back the fluoride to keep their teeth healthy.

Faith S. is offline Junior Member
    A 6 year break from the dentist is bound to cause some difficulties when it comes to dental upkeep. Some may think that bi-annual cleaning/screening for issues is a waste of time/money, but I personally see them as very valuable, and helpful with regards to my overall health.

That said, you already mentioned that you're planning on going ahead with the extractions. So no advice for you there. Just, in the future, if you can at least get to the dentist once per year, you'll likely be better off.

Why did you kick the flouride toothpastes when you went primal? I don't understand that. Maybe it wasn't the best call.

And yes, lemon in your water might cause some damage to the enamel on your teeth, and that enamel protects the entire tooth, so it's pretty important. But why not ask your dentist whether you should keep drinking it, or not? They'd know best, and would be able to answer your question much better than we would, I'd think.

All THAT said, sometimes, dental stuff is just genetic. Or it hits one person in a family of 5 harder than all the others. No real rhyme or reason to it. My twin, for example, has all kinds of trouble with her teeth, while I've been spared the nastiness of root canals, etc...Her one daughter also has issues, whereas her oldest daughter does not. It's weird how it works...

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Just say no to fluoride.

50 Reasons to Oppose Fluoridation
    Last edited by Martha; 04-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Are your wisdom teeth causing you pain?

If not, why extract them? I had 3 taken out, they left one b/c it was too hard to extract - I've had NO problems with the remaining one over the last 10 years. Is there an actual reason you want those 4 taken out???

Many people think fluoride is harmful (the negative effects outweigh the positive ones). You don't necessarily need to add it back. You had only 1 cavity... is there a spot you are missing when you brush?

Faith S. is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    Just say no to fluoride.

50 Reasons to Oppose Fluoridation
    That article applies to the flouridation of the water supply.

But topical flouride use, like in toothpaste, is helpful in preventing tooth decay. And as long as you don't swallow it, it's minimally dangerous. I don't understand the desire to avoid it, really...

RennieVan is offline Member
    I have been doing a lot of research about minerals as a result of trying to improve my overall health. I have a lot of issues with my teeth as well. From what I have found it has a lot to do with the mineral balance in your body. Check out The Calcium Lie by Robert Thompson. Also I have started oil pulling each day. I have seen all kinds of claims for oil pulling, including that it can cure cancer! OK, that seems a little far fetched. I am doing it to try and improve my oral health. Every time I go to the dentist I have cavities and it's driving me crazy! I just started the oil pulling a couple months ago, so it's too soon to see if it helps. It's easy and cheap, plus non-toxic so I figure I would try it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast