Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison Roast Recipe Needed page

SheRa is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I need a recipe for a 3-lb venison neck roast. Any takers? My husband is strictly from the breaded tenderloin camp so I need a recipe that will knock his socks off.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

This is my recipe for roast beef, but I'm sure it would be fantastic with venison too.

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/01/0...ng-roast-beef/

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Venison can be done much like beef, though take care to add extra fat since venison tends to be very lean.

oooh bacon grease rubbed all over it before applying the rub?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

One of my daughters is married to a hunter. A deer or two every year. Frankly, we all agree that elk is better. But you do with what you have.

Venison is extremely low in fat, so IIRC from our conversations, low, low heat. Another trick is to have your custom meat dresser combine the venison with pork into sausage. Gotta say, that was some of the best eatin' I've ever had!

Game is a whole different meat that store bought beef, pork, etc. I'm not sure I really like it, but I'm always willing to give it a hearty go. Not just for the courtesy, but the knowing that this is how our ancestors survived.

BTW, Louis and Clark's men favored dog above all else on their journey!

LabRat Guest

Venison tends to be very lean, yes, and also neck roasts are TOUGH- I'd be planning to cook that bad boy low and slow for many hours, preferably in my slow-cooker. Neck roast is not like most cuts of beef roast, which tend to come from relatively tender parts of an animal that is living a decidedly unprimal lifestyle. Think taking a slice off Korg's butt versus Grok's shoulder. ;P

I'd do the bacon grease, give it a quick brown in the pan... then throw it in the slow cooker on low with some onions, garlic, and red wine for oh... 5-8 hours. You can get away with higher heat and shorter time, and there are some other ways to do it without a slow cooker,

If it tells you something, we always just cut neck into stew meat for braises or grind it for sausage...

P.S. Whether it will taste "gamey" depends in large part on whether the meat was properly cleaned and butchered at the time of the kill... but venison and elk will definitely have a stronger, richer taste than beef. Personally, I love it, but your mileage may vary.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

@OnTheBayou- When you say dog I assume you mean fox or coyote. Fox is quite good. I haven't had the chance to try coyote. Fox is extremely lean. When it comes to wild game, raccoon is the fattiest, most flavorful meat I've had.

Miriam Guest

Venison isnít consumed a lot where I am from but I have noticed at my local butchers in the freezer section so I am going to get some for the weekend and try it in the slow cooker with bacon and onions and garlic and red wine.

Where my parents live there is a deer farm nearby where you can go and feed the deer and then have venison for lunch! Might actually go there next time I visit them. They also have kangaroo which is really good meat to eat, also very lean.

Miriam... do they feed the deer... CORN? heh.

SheRa is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for your excellent recipe advice. I've had roast venison before and it was wonderful. Just never tried to make it myself. Unfortunately, I'm not aware where on the deer the previous roast came from so I guess results may vary.

I like the idea of rubbing on bacon grease and even throwing some bacon in the pot during cooking. I need to check out the rub link as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast