Thread: Losing weight vs. exercising. <---- Two separate issues? page

pf3
    pf3 is offline Member

Losing weight vs. exercising. <---- Two separate issues?

Primal Fuel
    I've been on the primal diet for three months, and I've lost 18 pounds or so. I now have a BMI close to the center of the normal range again. (Before starting the diet, I was on the verge of penetrating the upper bound of the normal range.)

However, this has happened without any exercise at all. This makes me wonder:

The change in diet seems to fixing the metabolism of the body. The body now understands -- since it's no longer being poisoned -- when it needs more food and when it doesn't.

However, my body fat is still pretty lame (23%), and my heart rate is pretty lame too (96 beats per minute). These metrics suggest I should go out exercise to improve them.

Doesn't this somehow indicate that losing weight and exercising are two separate matters? I have managed to lose the weight I needed by just changing the diet and without exercising. On the other hand, exercising will fix some other metrics than the weight.

What do you think?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Moving is healthy beyond weight loss. A fat fit person is better off than a skinny unfit person. Truth!

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    weight is lost in the kitchen not in the gym

same goes for muscle gains, you can lift weights all you want, but if your diet is not proper then gaining muscle will be very hard

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pf3 View Post
    I've been on the primal diet for three months, and I've lost 18 pounds or so. I now have a BMI close to the center of the normal range again. (Before starting the diet, I was on the verge of penetrating the upper bound of the normal range.)

However, this has happened without any exercise at all. This makes me wonder:

The change in diet seems to fixing the metabolism of the body. The body now understands -- since it's no longer being poisoned -- when it needs more food and when it doesn't.

However, my body fat is still pretty lame (23%), and my heart rate is pretty lame too (96 beats per minute). These metrics suggest I should go out exercise to improve them.

Doesn't this somehow indicate that losing weight and exercising are two separate matters? I have managed to lose the weight I needed by just changing the diet and without exercising. On the other hand, exercising will fix some other metrics than the weight.

What do you think?
    Are you male or female? 23% body fat is normal/healthy for a woman, but quite chubby for a man. Yes, you can lose weight and be in a normal BMI range without being healthy or fit. It's called being "skinny-fat" in the vernacular. Unless you are abnormally genetically gifted, you won't put on lean mass without exercising. Resistance (weights) training and running sprints will be the fastest ways to change your body composition for the better. Lots of walking will keep you in generally good health (circulation, aerobic capacity, etc.).
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Tinker is offline Junior Member
    For simple weight loss, watching your diet is enough. However, you have to look at the underlying reasons for wanting weight loss. Health? Longevity? Looking good?

A good diet certainly affects those things. So does exercise. So they aren't separate in their goals.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pf3 View Post
    Doesn't this somehow indicate that losing weight and exercising are two separate matters?
    it sure does, and they sure are. creating a caloric deficit is easier to accomplish through diet than exercise. much easier.