Thread: Is dancing too cardio-intense? page

milly3 is offline Member

Primal Fuel

(This is my first post-- I'm a 19 year old college student and I've been following this blog for a few weeks)

Dancing is one of my favorite things to do. I generally have 4 or 5 hours of hip-hop dance classes a week, as well as some slower types such as ballet, ballroom. Hip-hop is extremely aerobic and it does leave me hungry, although usually energized too. I'm wondering if this would be considered "over training"? Should I start doing more strength training? Yoga?

Your help is much appreciated!

Milly

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I'd say no... if you like it, stick with it. I'd add in a day of max strength though....

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

If it's one of your favorite things to do, don't stop doing it. Of course, if you WANT to add or replace some of it with strength training, go right ahead. This lifestyle is maleable so don't over-think every aspect of it. I doubt dancing is going to have many, if any, negative effects so just keep doing what you love to do.

Pankratos Guest

Dancing is probly less impact than any similar amounts of running and so the damage will probably be less. I wouldnt worry about it

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

Consider your dancing sessions as entertainment.

You're probably not @85% heart rate for the whole hour, so I wouldn't worry about doing it too many times per week.

You do need to add strength training.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

You are a lucky pup to be getting intense exercise from something you love to do!

You're in a primal groove...stick with it.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure if many people here have ever taken a dance class, it's definitely fun, but it's a HUGE workout. Mostly strength training/body work but there is a cardio component as well and it is more than possible to get to 85% of your heart rate (esp. with hip hop where there is a lot of movement for long periods of time), although not for the full class most likely. (And most classes run an hour and a half, at least at the college level.)

Whenever I say I take dance classes I think most people tend to picture some little girl's ballet class and flitting about the room. It's actually the best overall body workout I've ever gotten in my life. My hubby (who's in the Navy) and works out often, can't make it through 20 minutes of my 45 minute dance warmup. I made him try after getting tired of him poo-pooing my workout as if it was just fun and I needed to get some REAL exercise. He stopped teasing me!

So... not to get defensive :-) (okay maybe a little but hopefully not bitter!) but just wanted to throw that out there, LOL.

P.S. I do a max strength workout once a week as well just to make sure I'm well-rounded

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

avocado is offline Senior Member

I guess you could overtrain doing anything, no? But as long as it's play, I don't think you can go wrong.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

My dancer friends are in UNGODLY phenomenal shape. For a while I prefered to date dancers. But the ones in professional companies, and who work as dancers for a living in videos, floor shows, and wotnot definitely experience overtraining and the injury they do their bodies is unbelievable. The pain is just something they're supposed to put up with. Infact I'm going to send one of my dancer friends Mark's recent Overtrainging blog. She's recently gone veggie on moral/ethical grounds, and she's always complaining of being tried. I won't preach at her, she was very patient with me when I was a raw vegan, so no pushing any dietary agendas from me.

(It makes me sad to see my friends in so much pain, but it's not my aligator to barbeque.)

NZPixie is offline Junior Member

I teach zumba fitness and am teaching about 6-8 hours per week - which is defintly pushing me into chronic cardio, but hey its my job and I do really enjoy it! I just have to accept that I have to compromise on some things and eat more carbs around when I am teaching. So I have 20grams of carbs in a water base during/after the class, and eat more potatoes etc. I still avoid grain and the like, and the only simple sugar I (try!) to have in its simple form is from that 20grams in my water. It seems to work well for me. I have not managed any over-use injuries yet but I have a feeling my back isnt going to hold up to this much!