Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon, and other issues. page

polos26 is offline Senior Member

Bacon, and other issues.

Primal Fuel
    I started to use paleo track yesterday to keep track of what I am eating and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I have been pretty much stalled in the same weight and body composition for the last 4 months and I am trying to make the changes needed in order to drop the remaining fat and tone up.

My question about the bacon is because when I put the bacon in the tracke I got flags about too much omega 6, even after I also entered my vital omegas. I eat bacon almost every day and use the bacon fat as well, could I be having too much bacon?

Also at the end of the day the chart showed I consumed 74% of my calories from fat, 16% from protein and 11% from carbs. Does that seem right?

and the last question, it shows that I consumed 2,745 calories, I am thinking that for a 34yo, 5'1", 104lbs it might be too much, is there a good way to figure out how mnay calories I actually need?

Thanks!
    Loving my primal life

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you haven't changed anything, and you're stuck, well... Lose the bacon, or cut it back to once a week. That seems like a LOT of calories to be consuming for your height/weight (are you sure you really have fat to lose? maybe it's just skin? that's pretty small) unless you are REALLY active.

If you cut the bacon, does that bring your calories down closer to 2k?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Well, I just went by what I put on the tracker for yesterday and I only had 1 slice of bacon in the am, so no, I don't think cutting that tiny slice will bring my calories down to 2k. So it DOES sound like a lot of calories right? I crossfit maybe 3 times a week and belly dance maybe once or twice a week, so I wouldn't say Im terribly active.

Regarding the fat, I am sure I have fat to loose my stomach bulges out a bit and I have fat on my upper arms and thighs, I guess I am stuck because I am just eating too much...
    Loving my primal life

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Do you eat nuts and/or dairy or any kind of sweets? Those are usually the first place to look for excess.

How much food do you eat, in terms of grams, for protein/fat/carbs according to the tracker?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I do tend to have "dessert" almost every day which for the most part consists of 86% chocolate which i melt down and then add crushed macadamias or almonds to and eat that with berries. (shameless, i know, how dare I complain!)

The tracker says I had 115g of protein, 236g fat, 72g carbs. I just did a couple of online calculators and one said 1913 calories and the other 1893 so I am WAAAAYY of!

there is a link in signature to my journal, sometimes I have been on and off in keeping up with it, but perhaps you can take a look and tell me what you think?

Thanks!
    Loving my primal life

ZenGopher is offline Junior Member
    Am I reading that right? You are 5'1" and 104 pounds?

dbclarinet is offline Member
    104 is a perfectly acceptable weight for someone who is 5'1". What do your normal meals look like? Sure, it's one slice of bacon, but what are you eating that bacon with?

I was my leanest and most muscular when I didn't track calories. I'm pretty sure I ate about 2,000-2,500 calories a day, and I'm 5'9" and weigh 120lbs. I ate two pieces of bacon a day, but when I worked out, I worked out like I meant it. I was at boot camp, and as a 27-year-old female, during any physical activity, I made sure to kick butt and take names.

Honestly, your activity levels aren't much more than what we did at boot camp, no joke. I felt like we NEVER worked out, which is why when we did, I made it count. You say you do CrossFit 2-3x a week, but I found that when I started CrossFit, I had a hard time making the workouts intense because I was getting used to the moves! Are you sure you're pushing yourself absolutely as hard as you can during those workouts?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You look slender in your pictures. You look like a runner. I don't have a real answer for you but maybe you need more protein and some strength training.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    5'1", 104 means you don't have any remaining fat. i would actually lower the fat intake a little bit, and then focus on the intensity of your workouts. if what you are saying is true, and you are working out intensely, then you should see some body composition changes.

i would base your meals on meat and veggies, and then add a little fat. it just seems like you are eating way too much for someone your size. i doni't have a problem with your dessert, just make sure you are eating clean during the day. you should definitely keep a food journal and keep it accurate in order to get to the bottom of this. and also keep a workout log.

edit: i just saw your pics. i mean, you should be able to lose a few lbs. i simply think you're eating too much. someone your size just can't be using all of those calories. cut back a lot. like 2000 or under. and maybe try some strength training.
    Last edited by not on the rug; 04-12-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Checked your journal. It might be that the problem for you is the dairy - lots of cheese in there. Try excluding it from your diet for a week or so and see if anything changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast