Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get enough protein? page

BlkSabbath74 is offline Member

How can I get enough protein?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started plugging my daily intake into an app, and was shocked to find that I'm far under my daily protein target of 150-160 by 50-60 grams.

Here is an average day...

Breakfast - 2 eggs, cottage cheese
    Snack - fruit & nut mix
    Lunch - 1 can tuna OR 1 piece fish, beef, pork or chicken, salad w/ bacon bits, veggies
    Snack - Piece of fruit
    Dinner - 1 piece of fish, beef, pork or chicken, veggies x 2
    Desert - 1 piece of fruit OR fruit & nut mix

I am pretty comfortable with that diet, but am trying to get 150-160 grams of protein without radically altering my diet or spending a huge amount of money. Any suggestions?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Eat more of the things that have protein and less of the ones that don't.

alternatively: don't worry about it so much, you don't really have to eat 1g per lb of bodyweight (which is what I'm assuming this is all about) keep up your strength workouts and you'll be just fine. You say you're comfortable eating the way you do, so just keep at it, be conscientious in your training (ie: train hard) and it will all sort itself out. If you were chronically under-eating protein (you're not) then I'd say to up it.

Okay, thanks...yeah, I was trying to get up to that ratio...

I drink a whey protein shake sometimes, but like iniQuity says, I don't get too wrapped up in it. I try to drink one on the days I work out or for breakfast if I don't have time for a meal.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    alternatively: don't worry about it so much, you don't really have to eat 1g per lb of bodyweight (which is what I'm assuming this is all about) keep up your strength workouts and you'll be just fine.
    exactly! your diet sounds like it has protein, real animal protein, at each meal. i wouldn't get to anal about this. you could always eat more meat, but... you don't have to, despite what bodybuilding mags say.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    eat more meat. and don't get wrapped up in macros too much. just base each meal off of meat and veggies and fat. and from what you listed, i'd say take it easy on the fruit and the nuts. those things should be a once in a while or at very most once daily part of your diet.

in terms of counting the protein and achieving the 1g per lb of bodyweight, this is a good rule to shoot for if your goal is to gain mass. that being said... what is your goal?

I'm trying to gain lean muscle and lose body fat.

I started around 215 in January and am under 200 now.

I'm also trying to train for endurance. I want to be able to run about 5 miles without stopping.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkSabbath74 View Post
    I started plugging my daily intake into an app, and was shocked to find that I'm far under my daily protein target of 150-160 by 50-60 grams.

Here is an average day...

Breakfast - 2 eggs, cottage cheese
    Snack - fruit & nut mix
    Lunch - 1 can tuna OR 1 piece fish, beef, pork or chicken, salad w/ bacon bits, veggies
    Snack - Piece of fruit
    Dinner - 1 piece of fish, beef, pork or chicken, veggies x 2
    Desert - 1 piece of fruit OR fruit & nut mix

I am pretty comfortable with that diet, but am trying to get 150-160 grams of protein without radically altering my diet or spending a huge amount of money. Any suggestions?
    To many of these meals, an egg (fried or boiled) could be easily added. Lunch and diner could include a LARGER piece of fish or two cans of tuna. I'm not sure your physical size but I am a small female and consume 2-3 cans of tuna in one meal, or 2 cans and an egg. Eggs are cheap and awesome...
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    your goals are solid, but kind of not compatible. it is quite posible to gain muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time. but it's difficult to do them at the same time well. i know that this comment is going to ignite a firestorm. but that is a fact. and i'm not talking about losing a few lbs of fat and gaining a few lbs of muscle. i mean, legitimate mass gains require a caloric surplus. you can't make something from nothing. and in that surplus, you'll have a difficult time losing fat no matter how "paleo" you eat. on top of that, training for endurance, especially 5 miles and up, is going to burn those excess calories off like you wouldn't believe. most people who are trying to gain mass, limit cardio drastically or even eliminate it for a short time.

for starters, i think once you nail your diet down, you'll see positive changes in your body. get on a good program like starting strength, or a solid bodyweight-based program, or even a bodybuilding style plan. but something where progress is measureable. then stick to it. add in some HIT stuff like sprints. and be consistent

I am 5'8" and around 198, give or take. My ideal body weight is somewhere between 165-185 lbs. I'd tend towards heavier because I have a broad build and want to add lean muscle mass as well.

I am not hung up on the weight, I just want to be healthier, but it is one of the easier indicators to track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast