Thread: Ooh Nooo is my bone broth ruined? page

KerryK is offline Senior Member

Ooh Nooo is my bone broth ruined?

Dang dang DANG! My very first bone broth and 36 hours into it I find the crock pot was off (must have happened last night) and the broth is pretty cool to the touch. I've seen other cooking sites talk about turning their stoves off at night and resuming the next morning and apparently they lived to blog about it. So do you all think I can keep cooking for another day or so and eat it? Or do you think there will be bad bacteria in there?

The bones are 100% grass fed from a local farm.

Thanks in advance for any advice... I think it happened because the newer models run a little too high so I've deliberately switched it to the warm setting a few times to reduce the temperature.

KerryK

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    How long has it been off? What's your "room temp"?

Living in the still-chilly UK I'd just re-start the whole thing and not worry about it. If it had been sitting out in a very warm room, I'd be more cautious.

NMG, I think it was off all night - max about 8 hours, though it would have taken a while to cool. The kitchen was probably 55-60 F last night thanks to central heating (13-16 C if I have my math right). You think you'd keep it?

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Ah keep it. It's autumn here is Perth but still pretty warm. I turn my broth off, sometimes for up to two nights.

Nothing has happened so far except from happy tastebuds

Oh and if I can make a recommendation for a simple stew - saute onions, garlic, brown some beef heart chunks. throw in some broth, carrots. I think I put sweet potatoes in mine although, it could have been turnip - I forget! Put in whatever is loitering in the fridge. I stewed mine for about 3 hours and served over cauliflower rice. My SO virtually inhaled it!

Yay, I'm definitely keeping it!

Hmmm, your recipe sounds like something that might actually get me to TRY beef hearts, so thank you for the recommendation. I can't afford grass fed steaks or roasts, so i bought lots of mixed bones, liver, a couple pounds of stew meat, some ground, and a few shanks from a local farm with 100% grass fed and pastured meat. That will have to last a while, too.

I couldn't face tongue, heart or brain (yet...?) but might try to pick up some heart now that I have the above recipe. My 9 year old might not touch it but my 93 year old father will definitely enjoy it!

THANKS!

Hezzielee is offline Junior Member
    You're fine. It's going to heat up again to a certain temp to kill the bacteria (if there is any), isn't it?

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezzielee View Post
    You're fine. It's going to heat up again to a certain temp to kill the bacteria (if there is any), isn't it?

Yep, ditto.