Page 94 of 590 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 94

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Great! Finding out that I have inspired or informed someone makes it all worthwhile! Another cool thing about shovelglove is the inherent sense of ironic humor in it - not many exercise programs can claim that.

Great post today on MDA. I loved reading about the Ancestral Health Symposium. If you check it out, be sure to read the comments. The ones deriding the paleo movement are priceless. I especially like this one:

"The picture of the author with the young attractive smiling woman is alarmingly reminiscent of many a diet advertising campaign."

Trouble is...the young attractive smiling young woman IS the author. (The man is Robb Wolf.)

Other comments are equally hilarious. For some reason the fact that many people who follow an ancestral diet are alarmingly attractive, fit, happy, and healthy looking is disturbing to certain people. Hmmmmm. When I saw pics of primal folk, I was like, "SIGN ME UP!" I didn't say, "Oh, these people are having way too much fun. I think will I go eat twinkies."
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Okay, here we go. This is my declaration. My name is Siobhan and I am alcohol-free. No wine, no alcoholic beverages for 30 days. If I want to jump-start my weight loss and reach my goal this fall I need to stick with nutrient-dense food and wine is not nutrient-dense food. So there.

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Wow, Siobhan! I admire that. I fell off the Whole 30 wagon this month and my beloved cheese is the reason. I can't imagine going 30 days without it, but I hope this will inspire me...

I'm not ready to completely renounce dairy, even temporarily, but I have cut way back. I draw the line at butter. If I gave up butter, I would feel deprived and deprived is something I am not prepared to experience. But it makes more sense after listening to Robb Wolf - if I don't give it up and see how I feel when I reintroduce it, I won't really ever know if it is a problem, will I? But first the drink.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I'm in it with you, as hubby and I are starting W30 tomorrow. So yes, gone is the butter and cheese too, along with the drink. Actually, the last week we've been mostly there, I haven't had butter in a week, and I'm surviving with ghee and coconut oil. I miss it, but am not craving. Regardless, 30 days alcohol free is bound to have some impact. At least I'm hoping so.

I think at this point I need to add in the exercise component, and that will make the difference. I have lost weight so far with diet, and I believe that is the proper way - getting the dietary changes in place is key for long term success.

Maybe I just need to clarify all my butter and then I can consider myself virtually dairy free -it is easy. Actually I need to give credit where it is due. I found Mark's interview with Robb Wolf very inspiring and informative and the proverbial light bulb went on for me - again -

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/guest...#axzz245Ivc6an

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I can't give up butter either, well, I just use grass fed ghee and it is wonderful. Last night, fresh and beautiful asparagus spears, sautéed in ghee and a little tamari, oh so good with a small, grilled ribeye.

When people ask me how I lost weight, I tell them about this website and Mark's book but always add that I'm sure the reason I was able to stick with it was/is the exercise everyday. It makes a huge difference in my mood, quality of sleep and general feeling of well being. A pain at first but so worth it in the long run. I may order the 90 day journal, do you like yours?

I'm really loving the shovelglove. DH made fun of me the first day but yesterday he picked up Helen Reddy (I am woman, hear me roar) and started doing it and said he'd have to get the heavier hammer out of the shop for him. heehee. Another convert

It really is kind of addictive, isn't it? My hammer is here next to my chair and it is almost irresistable - it is fun to swing it around. I like my 90-day journal very much, in fact I looked back and it is interesting to read my comments from a few weeks ago. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. Very good at tracking exercise.

tachikomoo is offline Member
    Hmm, chock up another curious potential convert for shovelglove... though I worry about the cats being overly curious and getting smacked! I'll start with something smaller and report back!

Also good for you Sio on the wine, I gave up wine a few months ago and have only now just started re-introducing it. It was a great experience and I didn't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. Also its made it much easier to have only 1 glass and then quite a small one. Downside: I think I'm turning into a bit of a wine snob. Not a refined palate but I just can't tolerate crappy wine for the sake of it being wine!

Have your scrubs been delivered yet?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No scrubs yet, they take quite a while as they make them after you order them. I am very excited but trying not to be in case it is disappointing. It will be nice and really quite motivating to kinda look nice at work - when I was fat I was thankful for the baggy wardrobe but now I wouldn't mind looking a little nicer as long as I can be comfortable.

I don't know why I made such a fuss over giving up wine - I can't drink three nights a week anyway! What's the big deal? Although I am already a wine snob. Life is too short to drink bad wine. A big upside of only having one small glass occasionally is the ability to afford better wine.

My cats are curious but don't come close when I'm swinging the hammer. I did the full 14 minutes today! And I made up some of my own moves. Really fun. I pretended I was farming. Couldn't believe it when the timer went off. This is just one of those things that seems crazy when you hear about it, then when you do it you get hooked. Maybe you can borrow a hammer from someone? Many people have one around somewhere. They last forever. Don't go too light or it won't work - you need momentum. Eight pounds is fairly standard, although to me it feels quite heavy.

After a long hiatus, I unpacked seven boxes today. This is my fourth day off and I finally feel rested and have energy. Of course it is time to go back to work tonight. I am so tempted to make that phone call - but I won't. I have a friend coming on Wednesday for a couple of days, it would have been nice to get all these boxes out of the living room. Alas.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 08-20-2012 at 09:16 AM.