Page 79 of 590 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179579 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 79

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Lucikly I am able to get PBS with my Radio Shack antenna, and I do enjoy watching maybe 3-4 hours per week. And another lucky thing is that most of those programs are available online, so I can watch during slow times at work. I have really enjoyed the series on the cosmos they have been showing lately, and I have watched the programs more than once in an effort to understand them. I've had three years of physics, but they lose me about 30 minutes in! Yikes!

For breakfast mostly I don't eat anything, although I suppose it depends on how you define breakfast. My first meal of the day is always very high fat and/or protein. No fruit or nuts. It might be leftovers from the night before, and usually it is something that isn't particularly breakfast-y, with the exception of eggs. I either scramble the eggs with meat or cheese, or fry them in lots of hot fat until they are brown and crispy. I never eat more than two, I get filled up on eggs very quickly. I might have bacon or a chop or some leftover beef if I have some around. If I don't eat until 11 AM or so, I will be good until dinnertime. If I eat earlier, say at 8 or 9 AM, I get hungry around mid-day, 1 PM or so, and eat a piece of fruit, often berries. Then I am okay till later. Doesn't make sense, I know, as the fruit is pretty much all carb, but it works for me. I often have a salad at breakfast, leafy greens with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. This is way more complicated than you wanted, I know. If I had a job that required me to get up and go to work 5 days a week, I would probably always make extra dinner food and eat that at breakfast, or IF on work days.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

So happy to read that sunflower oil is primal! Maybe I can make primal mayo after all. I'm sure I can find the high oleic stuff at the food co-op. Maybe even at the regular grocery. And it would be nice to have a tasteless oil for certain things.

Felt like I ate my way through my whole kitchen today but ended up with 1755 calories and good macros. A little high on the fat, which doesn't bother me. I read in several books that people always underestimate their food intake, so I have been rigorous in my journaling, especially with fats. But I don't worry about eating too much fat, certainly not on just one day. I have eaten so many blueberries in the last two days that I am truly surprised that I'm not turning blue, like that girl in Willy
    Wonka.

I bought a smoked chicken at the farmers market last week and I just can't get it eaten. I thought it looked really small when I bought it, but I didn't realize how dense it is, and how little waste their is. The problem is that I don't really like it too much. It is okay but I am really tired of it, yet I don't want to waste it. I'm in the home stretch, though. One more serving!

Violent, violent storm this evening. Getting to work was so stressful. If I had known, I would have called out hours before. That is one downside to this job, I can't just not come in. Someone has to be here all of the time, absolutely all of the time. So my co-worker, who has already worked a 12-hour shift has to stay until I get here. Makes it really tricky to be even a few minutes late. And we have no on-call system, which puts a lot of pressure on us, particularly the night people (that would be me). Oh well, there is always a catch. Still, this hospital is like a country club compared to other places.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Hi siobhan....that's quite a bit of pressure to relieve your colleague at work, but good it's otherwise less stressful.. Was it thunder storm, remeber DH n I seeing amazing storms when in Canada on hol air literally seemed to turn green....wow and we felt high ..weird

Otherwise if not too much to ask pls can u explain about macros, my weight is static for 3 wks now so trying to learn more ...so would be good to understand the macro thing better

Thanks !

How many carbs do you eat per day? This is pretty much the key to weight loss on PB. Mark explains it pretty well here - How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

Basically you need to eat less than 100g of carb per day - he calls it the 'sweet spot' - to lose weight without undue suffering. Your protein intake is .7 g per pound of lean body weight, obviously the rest is fat. Because of my size, I'm in the 100g fat - 100g protein - <100g carb per day. I aim for 80g carb a day. Less than 50g carb is pretty low and not for everyone. How do I know how much I'm eating? I use paleotrack - http://paleotrack.com/. I think it is fun, and you get a nice colorful graph, and you can put in custom foods and recipes. For instance, yesterday I ate 1755 calories, 63% fat 20% protein 17% carb. Those are good macros for me. I was a little over on fat, 123g (okay, a lot), 88g protein, 75g carb. Don't worry about these numbers, paleotrack does it all for you.

In my humble experience, it is very easy to let those carbs creep up - it is so easy to eat them. I am totally grain and sugar-free, but I do like fruit. The starchy veg like sweet potatoes will get you there quickly also. I am trying to eat mostly berries for my fruit fix, they are extremely nutritious and relatively low in carbs as compared to say, an apple.

Do you IF? Maybe it's not for you, but it can be a way to jumpstart weight loss. I love it, but that's me.

That is probably too much info and maybe not what you are looking for, but there it is -
    Last edited by Siobhan; 07-25-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Been experimenting with stuff to put in tea. I have come to the conclusion that I just don't like coconut products in tea. Also I seem to get a slight headache from tea+coconut. Don't have any idea why that should be. Anyway, this morning I put in 1 tsp of butter and .5 oz. half and half. I like this. I had previously tried them separately, but didn't really like it. This will be good for work at least - not sure about home. I've never liked half and half or cream although I like milk just fine. Odd.

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks siobhan not too much info at all ! Really appreciate the help ! Am trying to eat between 50-80g carbs pd..and using fitness pal to log but will check out paleotrack and try IF , have done that but cheated with milk in tea n coffee....all food for thought ...hurhur...

I know that for myself, I need to revisit this information pretty often. It is easy to get off-track. One reason why this journaling business is so motivating.

I have often wondered if a splash of milk - say a teaspoon - is enough to break a fast - I guess the answer is that if it is enough to provoke a response in the body it is enough. But I know people use bulletproof coffee and I think that is not considered breaking a fast as it is pure fat. I am not well-versed on this and will stand corrected.

Had a deliberate cheat this evening. Ever had a San Pellegrino Blood Orange Soda? Worth it! Won't make a habit of it though.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 07-25-2012 at 05:31 PM.

I think I'm getting this thing down. I thought I had eaten a lot today, but when I put the food in paleotrack I was right on. And I picked a good day to drink a sugary concoction - I have had almost no carbs today. Just zucchini, and it is pretty hard to get many carbs on zucchini. Had a lovely piece of tuna I bought yesterday. All set now!

Got a new cheese at the food co-op. ( I spend WAY too much money on food.) It's called Ekte Geitost. No one at the shop knew anything about it, but the packaging is irresistable.

0000222_400.jpeg

I googled it - the taste is supposed to be sweet and salty and caramel-y. Can't wait to try it. Not going to try it at work, though, it is too special.