Page 77 of 590 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177577 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 77

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bet they are just secretly incredibly envious and cannot bring themselves to compliment you ....or they are mean...or they are blind...or they are envious mean and blind ...!!

euuu sorry !! am just being bit obstreperous but really they must be blind 25lbs is AMAZING !!!

I want your diet account blow by blow ...so I can follow it ... ..I know it would take to long so I'll settle for reading your very readable journal ..

with colleagues like that no wonder you felt like speeding to get away from 'em! glad you didn't get a ticket tho !

didn't get round to that courgette yet but its on the list

entwyf is offline Senior Member
    Am looking through your journal and appreciating the optimism you bring to even very problematic circumstances. This post is not about food, but it is Primal. Eat, move, and live playfully. if others refuse to play, so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Sabine, I took your advice and just threw a sheet over the bed instead of anything fancy - hmmm, I could get used to this sort of shortcut. For some reason the cats love it. I thought they would be slow to adopt new sleeping digs, but they actually seem to like the new bed better. Cats, who can figure them out?

I have a lot of cards that I have purchased but never send because, well, I like them too much. I hate to think of them being looked at for maybe a second and then tossed. So I keep them in the corner of my desk and look at them every so often. I picked out a favorite with a drawing of an owl and a cat and wrote a nice message to myself.

Once not so long ago during a really hard time with my family, who I am not close to, I made a nice card and a bookmark out of handmade art paper for my sister and my mom. I handed them to them at the same time. My mom opened it up and said, "What am I supposed to do with this?" My sister said, "Oh. Thanks." Then she literally threw them on the floor near her chair and went back to reading her book. I announced that I was going to turn in early - seemed like the only thing to do to get out of that awkward situation. Later while I was lying in bed, I heard my mom say to my sister, "Oh look, she made this. It has my name on it. I didn't see it before, I didn't have my glasses on." My sister said, "Yeah, it's kind of childish, I think."

That year I organized a bookmark swap in my book club and made everyone a personalized bookmark out of really nice art paper. They loved them. A couple of those ladies are really successful artists and even they loved them.

Well, that doesn't have anything to do with food, but I'll leave it in.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Here I am at work, very busy night and just signed on and found all these great comments! Lots of community here!

Tonight I drove much more slowly to work and you know what...it was nice. I don't need to drive so fast. It is very stressful to drive fast. Why did I think I had to drive so fast? It takes me maybe two minutes longer to get there at the speed limit. I'm really glad that nice young cop talked to me. He was right. I need to drive slower.

My weight loss is pretty good. To be honest I couldn't be happier with it. I really think I have lost a lot of fat and only a bit of lean weight, because I feel good, not weak at all, and I can even see some outlines of muscle, especially on my legs. And I'm not any flabbier than I ever was. Also I have noticed my body is much straighter, not apple-y anymore. Although I still have quite a way to go, and I have plenty of unwanted belly flab still!

My primal diet is pretty idiosyncratic, totally n=1. I just went with what worked for me, and will continue to do that. I just realized that I don't eat many nuts anymore. I used to eat them on a daily basis. Just don't really like them so much now. Weird, huh? I put them in things, like salads or veg dishes. I have always felt that sugar and grains go hand-in-hand and that is one problem with them. It is just too easy to eat way too much of that combo. I'm very rigorous - no sugar, no grains. The beans and legumes I had no problem letting go! If I eat breakfast, it is very high fat and protein, as few carbs in the AM as possible. I IF all the time, and love it. I absolutely love not being hungry all of the time, and not snacking. I rarely snack as I don't need to. I sit down for a meal and eat until I'm full, 2 or 3 times a day. Why does all this work for me? I have no idea. I thank Mark for providing all this information, totally free. Amazing.

Speaking of food, had leafy greens with BV, OO, mustard, and steak. I have a confession. I like plain old yellow mustard. Don't really like fancy mustard. I got a nice organic yellow mustard made with raw apple cider vinegar. It won't last long.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Got another compliment last night, although it made me sad. A co-worker commented on my weight loss and said, "It's a real battle, isn't it?" I just nodded and said something like "worth it, though!" But it hasn't been a battle at all. It's been great. They were eating their normal SAD meals and they are all considerably overweight. I wish I could help them. I would sound like a lunatic if I told them how happy I am not eating grains, sugar, etc. And a couple of them have celiac disease and are always consuming those Frankenstein gluten-free foods, which are very high in calories and send your blood sugar soaring. Okay for once in a great while, I suppose, but they eat them every day.

Speaking of food, I was so busy last night I didn't get a chance to eat and came home starving. Such a good feeling! I'm coming off two very low calorie days because I wasn't too hungry. So I got home and cut up two grass fed hot dogs added them to a scrambled egg with a wedge of Laughing Cow Swiss. (Processed, I know, but so good in eggs.) Added some leafy greens with olive oil - a meal fit for a god. Or a goddess. I actually felt like making up another batch and snarfing that down too, but I didn't because I have to go to sleep. And I have Dana Carpender to thank for that meal, it is in her low-carb cookbook. Embarrassingly low-brow, but so delicious, especially when you are really hungry.

Off to sleep now -

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking when you lose even more weight, helping your coworkers will just come naturally. They're gonna' go: "Man, that's gotta' be a great diet and she has so much energy." Then, you could set up a week contest or something:-) It could really be fun and they'd all be happy and then happier and then happiest!
    Last edited by lopisheep; 07-21-2012 at 09:49 AM.

That would be like a dream to get some of my coworkers on board with primal. I have the zeal of the convert, you know! It kills me to think I work in a hospital yet we are neglecting the most basic of all health factors, both on a personal and professional basis. And I have many coworkers who are considerably overweight. Now that I have taken off some pounds, even the thinner ones are starting to look beefier to me. They are really nice, caring people and they don't deserve SAD.

Woke up feeling very good. Going out with a friend tonight to a concert at the local playhouse. We are lucky to still have a summer stock theater here. Should be fun.

Had a large smoothie - woke up quite hungry. Got a little whisper in my head - not a headache but a foggy type of feeling. Wonder if it is the goat milk? I'm going to transition to coconut milk in my smoothies and see if that goes away. I seem to get a little brain fog thing when I have too much cow milk, goat milk may also be a culprit.

Update on the cat conversion. I give it a C-. They are steadfast in their refusal to eat the most healthy foods I have been feeding them, and I couldn't take their pleading hungry faces anymore, so I fed them the healthier Fancy Feast varieties. I am amazed at the difference in composition between the ones labeled, somewhat innocuously, "grilled" and the classic or pate versions. The grilled versions are seemingly mostly carbs! I'm also cautiously optimistic about a brand called Felidae, which makes grain-free canned and kibble. I am going to keep a little kibble in their diet because I am afraid that otherwise I will never be able to leave home again. But Felidae makes a good grain-free one, and I will just feed it once a week or so. It may be my imagination, but Tubby looks a little thinner and he is certainly full of energy. He is currently batting a toy up and down the stairway. I know that weight loss in cats is a very slow process - they can become very, very ill losing weight quickly, kidney failure and all sorts of horrid things, so I am proceeding with caution. His love of food will hopefully keep him from starving himself. He seems to be consuming enough, although it can be hard to tell with two cats. StarClan, help me! (Any Warrior fans out there?)

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Siobhan, love the sound of your zucchini 'thing' I am going to try that once the zucchini in my garden is big enough to pick Congratulations on being so slim!! That is inspiring for me...

I do think that sometimes we release more toxins than others and then we smell more. And if you don't sweat much regularly it kind of reeks once you do get a good bit going. I am pretty high right now - no hugs for anyone until I have showered or had a swim! Spent the morning outside mowing and watering and hauling heavy stuff around so I am very stinky right now. Might just have to hose myself off before I get in the kiddie pool or I'll wreck the nice clean water ...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Hi siobhan think we have same problem here in uk healthcare with diet , recent case of elderly patient dying of starvation in hospital (truly horrific ) think we have so many problems with elderly care generally and of course the food in uk nhs hospitals renowned for being especially poor...people really do not deserve could not agree more, wish that those with the influence would do something about all the bad diet advice we are being given ! Sigh....

Love your description of not being able to leave house due to cats begging !!! We have had that same kinda experience and the beseeching eyes, irresistible ! ....our most overweight puddy lost her weight over a year quite naturally , she really would only eat biscuits before...I think the transition took that long so weight didnt drop quickly but did help that we had one v sick cat around while we changed her diet, so we could not afford to even risk having biscuits in the house, so we had to stick it out with her and also she really went for the freeze dried treats which helped a lot, think I found variety seemed to help them and also giving some raw mince, or raw liver they seem to like mince lamb and pork . Sounds like even so it's going well and really any food with less than 10% carbs was the advice we had and that's what we currently feed them so I think there are a few fancy feast varieties with that... It's a bit of a shocker just how many grains/carbs pet food manufacturers manage to pack into some foods...

I read the labels carefully on the Fancy Feast and am shocked at the difference in ingredients from variety to variety. Some of them, while containing by-products, have no grains or added carbs. Some have wheat gluten and corn listed as the third or fourth ingredient! Do I need to tell you what I bought? I got a grain-free kibble at the pet food shop that they seem to love - probably too much. I put a bit of it out and it disappeared. Probably Tubby ate it all. (Sigh) I'm maybe 1/3 of the way there. Must keep trying.

Came home this morning with my first batch of wild Maine blueberries!!!!! In honor of them I opened a can of organic coconut milk and carefully scraped the cream off the top. The milk at the bottom I can put in my tea. I have been hesitant to add too much coconut milk into my diet because of the expense. But as I use it in different ways and learn what to do with it I should avoid waste and it will be more practical. I really want to get off cow's milk completely and it is just not good for my skin. Goat milk is better, but the supply is not constant, even here. (We're talking raw, of course. The regular stuff is available but what's the point of that?) This is a long way of saying that I am practically drooling on my keyboard in anticipation of eating a big handful of blueberries on a cloud of coconut cream.

Blueberries ....sound divine with coconut cloud....nom nom !! as they say