Page 71 of 590 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171571 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 71

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, I must have died and gone to heaven. It is the only way to describe the sublime experience of eating just-picked tomatoes with goat cheese, olives, capers, and lots of olive oil. Then some smoked salmon with cucumber. Oh dear. I may never top this meal.

I have raw goat milk, free-range eggs (really, really free-range), little white turnips, beets, smoked chicken, grass-fed sirloin. Wow. I hope I can eat all this before it goes bad - my little freezer doesn't keep up very well in this heat. Must start eating -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I was reading some journals and I realized I have become something of a fanatic. Of course I live alone, as I have said many times here, and it is a good thing, because I don't think I could stand having cookies and cake and bread in the house. It's not just PB, it is my job in a hospital where I see so many illnesses caused by SAD - most of what I see is caused by SAD, in fact. And if you believe, as I do, that depression is diet-related, the percentage is almost 100%. I also wonder how much the touted-low-fat diet that women are encouraged to follow has a role in causing autism. A woman who restricts fat during pregnancy...brains are fat...hmmm. Of course a great deal of brain development occurs after birth, but certainly the foundation is laid in the womb. Anyway, I'm off on a crazy tangent. I feel like grains and sugar, at least in the quantities that people on the SAD consume, are drugs at best and poison at worst. I don't want that stuff in my house, just as I don't want illegal drugs or cigarettes.

On a more positive note, I got a big handful of sweet peas at the market and they are sitting here in a vase - so lovely.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    ahh sweet peas , just love them ...what a wonderful smell they make and beautiful colours...a smell of summer - lovely

so great you lost 1lb ! even when you think you ate a lot too ...hurrah !

Forgot that I also got mushrooms at the market. An embarrassment of riches!

Had a BAS with turkey for lunch along with some grapes. I generally avoid grapes because they have a lot of carbs, but for some reason I bought them. Just realized I should have put them right into the salad.

Having ribs and beets for dinner. Funny combo, don't you think? I stained my hands fixing the beets, which would be okay except that I am going to a concert tonight. Hopefully it will come off in the shower.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I stained my hands fixing the beets, which would be okay except that I am going to a concert tonight. Hopefully it will come off in the shower.
    I dislike that part about preparing beets too, as much as I llike eating them. For next time, you may be like me, where when returning home from a hospital shift have a few odd nonsterile gloves in your pockets...save them and use when dealing with foods like beets. I also use them when handling raw hot peppers. Saves those nasty troubles post pepper prep with rubbing an eye or other places .

You want to hear the extent of my foolishness? I have a whole box of gloves in a basket not three feet from where I was preparing the beets. Just didn't think about putting them on! Luckily most of it came off in the shower, and it was dark at the concert.

Work tonight, in a way I am looking forward to going in. Although I hope it is not too busy. But I feel like I fall off the track a little when I don't go to work for a long time. Because I work 3 12-hour shifts a week, I can have quite a few days off in a row. Which is great! But it feels weird sometimes.

The concert last night was spectacular. The orchestra, called Maine Pro Musica, is honestly as good as any orchestra I have ever heard, the program was great, the acoustics great, the company great, the soloist, a famous, world-class pianist. Really special evening. I wished they could have played all night - or that they would return for another engagement.

Haven't eaten yet. Hungry, but I have been eating an awful lot lately and I want at least 14 hours to pass before I eat. Now that I'm writing this, I think 16 hours might be better. If I eat at 11 AM, then I will be set to rest in the afternoon. Good plan.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Siobhan, sounds like you are doing well and I am encouraged as I read your journal! I have to agree about the babies not getting what they need in utero! Did you know that in some primitive cultures the prospective parents (fascinating as the sperm quality is affected by diet too) would do a special diet to promote fertility and then the mother would be given all kinds of high quality foods like fat and organ meats etc while she was pregnant! I honestly believe that a lot of the struggles with infertility and miscarriages and autism etc are all related to the shocking diet we are stuffing into our poor bodies. I know that mom's who take cod liver oil amongst other things (pastured, cultured butter etc) generally have children who don't have learning disabilities and often do well with academic stuff. Of course the diet after birth is important too. The development of childrens jaws are deeply impacted by the mother's diet too .... nutritious foods including lots of fat, protein and veggies and fruits etc build strong open palates with teeth that are spaced correctly and no issues with needing braces etc later..... I find this area fascinating. Have you read any of Weston A Price's research? If not, you should because I think you would love it. He is not anti grains, but nonetheless has incredible insight into nutrition.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

I know a bit about Weston Price from seeing Fathead and I am very interested in knowing more. We owe him a lot for the research he did. I read on Greensprout's journal about the Real Food Summit - check it out - great stuff there.

Real Food Summit

When I see the young women at work and the way they eat and - I'm going to say something really offensive here - the babies they produce, I am in despair for the future of our country. Out of the six babies born to my co-workers last year, three had major developmental disabilities. Now, I know there are many and varied reasons for this. But I also know that all these women ate very, very poor diets and did not get enough rest. One practically lived on popcorn. Not even real popcorn, popcorn from the vending machine. Her baby has Down Syndrome, and she is only 25 years old! Before you jump all over me, full disclosure - I had a brother with DS, he died last year at the age of 45. Okay, I had better get off this topic because I really don't want to be offensive and I certainly do not mean to imply it is the mother's fault - it is the fault of big agribusiness and our politicized food system. And maybe it is no one's fault. Maybe that is just the way it is. My mother didn't live on popcorn while she was pregnant with my brother, but she was 43 years old - oh, and yes I know it is a genetic disorder and mother's diet while pregnant doesn't cause DS, but who knows what poor diet before pregnancy causes?
    Last edited by Siobhan; 07-14-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Here is tubby cat, before he got tubby.

AdorableEli.jpg

tachikomoo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yay! Hello Tubby cat!! Thanks Sio, he looks like a darling, love those toes lol does he always walk around like that? haha

I'll pop some photos in my journal, cats all 'round! I hope your fast is going well, I've just read your entire journal from start to finish and just ended now, with a cat photo! You said you're a bit of a fanatic but that's incredibly inspiring, and I am learning so much from you and your viewpoints on primal food and eating habits. I honestly think with any diet or lifestyle change, 20% of the effort is the food bit and 80% is the attitude, and everyone's influence here has really helped with the attitude So keep being a fantastic fanatic!!