Page 402 of 590 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412452502 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 402

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, we are getting more snow tonight! I am hoping to go out on my snowshoes later on - yes, in the dark of the late night. If it is light enough I will but probably not if the clouds make it too dark. Ex used my headlamp when he was here and now I can't find it and don't feel like asking him where he might have left it. (Communication with him tends to be weird.) Although I could hang a lantern around my neck...hmmmmmm.....

A co-worker who is the closest thing I have to a friend at work gave me some lovely gifts this morning! A card with a funny picture of two cats driving a cart pulled by two more cats. A cutting board with owls on it. An ID badge holder with an owl. I love them all! Cats and owls! I gave her an ornament shaped like an owl earlier this month. (She loves owls too.) I'm so happy. I'm not afraid to say it - I love getting gifts. They don't have to be expensive. Just knowing that she picked out a card and knew I would like it is a huge gift.

Made a fab turkey soup. Used the bone broth I've had stewing away for the past 72 hours. I realized this afternoon while reading one of my mountaineering books that I need to be extra careful to stay hydrated. Soup is a good way to eat and drink at the same time. It seems like I am thirsty all of the time, yet still I don't drink! Certainly not enough. The soup is really, really good though. Fennel really adds something - it is subtle in the finished soup but so good.

I don't have to work until Friday night and I am so hoping to be able to play in the snow a lot tomorrow. I'm going to make some more snow angels and this time I will put them out of harm's way. I am so glad I bought those snow pants for $3 at the thrift shop. What a difference that makes. This time I will help with the shoveling and hopefully will not be mistaken for moose again. I wonder if Landlord is upset about the tracks? When I told a couple of people about the moose track/snowshoe thing they laughed heartily. Both people are experienced outdoorsmen and the idea that you could mistake snowshoe tracks for moose was very amusing to them.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Yes, Marcadav - I remember that snow of 2008 ............ but back in '71 it was about a foot deep and drifts of 2-3 feet. I lived over in Dallas then, the elevation is higher and they always get lots more snow than Salem. Last week they got 6" to our measely 1/2" .
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

You have moose up that way? I think the closest moose to us would be Canada. I'd love to see a moose in the wild.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Absolutely we have moose! We are famous for our moose!

I went out and played in the snow for a good while. It is very dark; the snow is already falling. Even though it is a full moon tonight, she did not show me her beautiful face. But I could see well enough and I climbed all over the big piles of snow and up to the summer cottage and all around. I brought up a couple of armloads of firewood just because I can. I am much better at putting on the snowshoes now and got them on right and proper and they didn't slip or loosen. It is not very cold in relative terms (this morning it was below zero - F). I made sure to drink some water when I came in.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Yes, Marcadav - I remember that snow of 2008 ............ but back in '71 it was about a foot deep and drifts of 2-3 feet. I lived over in Dallas then, the elevation is higher and they always get lots more snow than Salem. Last week they got 6" to our measely 1/2" .
    I remember the snow in '71.

It's the reason why I don't know how to parallel park. I was taking driver's ed at the time and too much snow was along the curb so the instructor never taught the skill.

What a wake-up this morning! We got a LOT of snow. I mean A LOT. A foot at least. And talk about leaping out of bed at first light, full of energy - I couldn't wait to dig out the bird feeder. I shoveled off the balcony and refilled the feeder, scattering seed on the floorboards and the railings. The little birds were swooping around as I was doing this. It still isn't fully light. As soon as I finished, the plow arrived. I couldn't believe it as we don't seem to get plowed out until hours after the storm ends. I'm so glad I got the balcony cleared as that is a lot less snow I would have to shovel. (I just push it off the balcony on to the driveway and the plow takes it from there.) There are probably ten juncos, as many chickadees, and a few finches out there right now. I will have to remember to get more birdseed next shopping trip.

Having a coffee right now and mighty tasty it is too! Will probably have some soup, lounge around a little, and eventually will go out and do some shoveling and snowshoeing.

Well, I have had quite a lot of play and exercise already and am going back to bed! I went outside to find the snow plow had left a waist high pile of snow at least three feet across right in front of the garage. What is he thinking?!? I tackled it and cleared it as well as digging a path along the side of the garage and to the barn and stamped out a new trail to the woodpile with my snowshoes. The biggest problem is where to put the snow, there is so much of it. I got the mail for Landlord and carefully opened his front door and placed the mail inside on the table. (The mailbox is out on the road.) Considered digging out His Partner's car, but didn't because frankly I am too tired. I have already shovelled for over an hour. The snow will not only have to be cleared off but moved some distance, and the snow plow has done it's dirty work and there is lots of heavy packed snow, not the light fluffy stuff.

One thing I have been putting into practice is Hacker Mentality. If you haven't read John Durrance's book The Paleo Manifesto you need to. My whole life I have been taught to be tough, work hard, etc. You know what? Screw that! LOOK FOR AN EASY WAY THAT IS JUST AS GOOD! A small example is my snowshoes. When I come in, I automatically reach for the right one to take off first, but the strap is hard to unsnap. So what do I do? Struggle and fight with it. Then it dawned on me...try the left one. The left one comes off easily, no struggle required. With the left one off, I can reposition myself to more easily remove the right one, and also it has thawed a bit. The thing is, there are about a hundred things a day that this can be applied to. And it is not just me - I see other people doing this kind of thing all of the time. ALL the time. And not stupid people either, smart people.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Such a wonderful book!! It should be in everyone's home.
    I have wrapped 6 for gifts and thought of someone else while driving back from the beach.

I should have got that book for all my family. I believe it is destined to be a classic.

Have had kind of a weird day, a mixture of activity and sheer laze. Errands, shopping. Reading, listening to music. Not very hungry.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I remember the snow in '71.

It's the reason why I don't know how to parallel park. I was taking driver's ed at the time and too much snow was along the curb so the instructor never taught the skill.
    oh dear! Here's the perfect formula for parallel parking.

1. pull up next to the car so your front doors are side by side.

2. crank the wheel and back up

3. When you front door is level with the back on the car next to you crank the other way and slide right in
    Read post #2626
    my motivation