Page 379 of 590 FirstFirst ... 279329369377378379380381389429479 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,790 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 379

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Sounds delicious Lamb is one of my absolute favourite meats! It is so expensive here in the USA and not that easy to find the good stuff. I miss the SA lamb that has a distinct flavor because the sheep graze the desert plants.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I heard Michael Pollan, one of the food gurus, talk about meat, and he said that if you are going to buy conventional meat, lamb is the way to go. Lambs are not brought up on feedlots, fed antibiotics, etc. In fact they are pastured. They have fairly pleasant if short lives, and are just about as clean a meat as you can get if you can't buy local natural stuff. But it is so expensive! Still, I was really surprised at how good the ribs turned out. I'll be keeping my eye out for more sales.

Had a weird dream that is staying with me. I dreamed I had a part in a play and I showed up on opening night and everyone was excited and talking about how great it was going to be and kind of pampering me, and I realized that I did not know my part and had not gone to any rehearsals. I was supposed to have learned the part on my own and I hadn't. Obviously this would never happen. The meaning is quite obvious! But it is a classic dream.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    I did not grow up eating lamb and haven't had any that I really cared for. Maybe the way it was prepared?
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Lamb, lamb, I love lamb. And ever since I found out that lamb does not mean kill 'em at 8 weeks, but that they get up to 10-11 months, I don't feel so bad about eating it.

Yes, I think it definitely matters how you prepare it. I personally like simple preps best. Salt, pepper, onions, etc. It has a very distinctive taste that can be off-putting if you aren't prepared for it. Also I find that it doesn't keep well -maybe overnight, but you can't keep it around for leftovers for any length of time, IMHO.

After one night off I'm back at work. Swam today and am delighted to discover the pool is going to be open for an extra hour during the day. That means I might be able to get a swim in the afternoons most days.

Food is good today. Sipping on a booch here at my desk. Must get up and move around.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Mm.... I love lamb!! Just salt while cooking then finish it with a drizzle of olive oil and maybe some lemon... Delicious!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Mmmmmm...lamb...just finished it. So delicious. The sauce that pretty much created itself was so rich and gelatin-y.

Ways to save money:

1. Buy spices from bulk bins. This saves crazy amounts of money. You can buy as much or as little as you want, and the spices are fresher.

2. Look at the most expensive food item you purchase and figure out how to make it cheaper. For instance I started making my own kombucha for pennies instead of $$$$$. Huge savings.

3. Look for meat that is near or on sell-by date. It is perfectly good and is usually marked down by at least 1/3, sometimes more. Often grass-fed, organic stuff is available at huge savings.

4. This is not for everyone, but consider judicious use of safe starches to stretch meals. Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, bananas, rice.

5. Eat your green salad AFTER the meal. I don't know why, but this signals "DONE" to my brain.

Just went through Mark's post today and did the quiz (although I shouldn't have because I am a night shift worker) and WOOT! If I had lived in former times I would have been totally cool. A shaman, or a fierce warrior of the night. Yep, come to think of it, I kind of AM a shaman AND a fierce warrior of the night right now!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    When I eat a big salad at the beginning of a meal I find that I often only can eat half of my meat portion. Adds extra meals to my meat budget. 4 steaks may actually be 4 meals if I eat salad before them... still usually ends up being 2 and a half meals but still.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For me, if I eat the salad beforehand, I don't eat as much but I find myself hungry sooner. Of course this means I have to be sure to portion out my food properly, i.e. not down an entire rack of ribs.

I'm in a real period of slothfulness. I wasn't sure why, but then I looked at my work schedule and I think that is some of the problem, although not all. I am in the midst of an 8 day period where I don't have two nights off in a row, meaning I don't have a calendar day off. It's difficult to get anything done when I am actually working part of every single day. (This is hard to understand if you have never worked overnight shifts.) Although I think I was slothful even before I started this stretch of work. One thing is that I think I really need to start planning and take longer stretches of time off at regular intervals, at least every two months. One thing about choir is that it requires my planning my schedule around it to some extent. Really just thinking aloud here. (Well, not actually out loud.) But the stresses, physical and emotional, of my job really dictate that I look after #1, otherwise disaster can result. Anyway, I am finding that I just want to sit around and read or listen to music or watch TV (public TV but still TV). Lucky I have the pool to call to me, but even that can be a bit of an avoidance device. Faced with a choice of cleaning my house or going to the pool, you know what I pick! Of course the answer is that I have to make time for both. (And here I am wasting time on the computer...)

Slept until 10:30 this morning! So I think I don't need a nap this afternoon. I have no food around here, I have overdue library books, and I could really use a shower. Not to mention that the place is a tip! Must get going.

Breakfast was a ginormous bowl of leafy greens and two fried eggs.